Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Stripers and Coastal Gamefish (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Full sinking line (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=991)

FishHawk 08-07-2001 04:46 AM

Full sinking line

Fished South Beach this past Sunday and did well. However , I noticed that there was a lot of slack line when casting my shooting head line. I was using an Airflo 400 grain shooting head line. I wonder if a full sinking might be better in this situation. The only problem it would be tiring to cast all day long. I felt that if I could have had more line contact I would have gotten more fish. Any thoughts on using full sinking lines?
FishHawk

juro 08-07-2001 06:52 AM

If I read right, you mean there was slack during the retrieve. Under most conditions this is a function of pointing the rod nearly into the water and following the fly with the drift, but in big surf there's a whole 'nuther element to it. If you have a floating running line, you'll have a problem. I've been fine with intermediate running lines (SW QD, Rio Deep Sea, etc).

I used to use a full sink; it's easier to aerialize long back casts and feels more like a normal line (on speed). This is nice if you'd rather work out the kinks as you feed line into a long line length as you cast. I do recall it being better at cutting into waves, but I often try to manage the line around the breakers nowadays with intermediate running lines.

I think if you use an intermediate running line you'll be OK and can keep the dense head (if you like that). The full sink will give you a more standard line feel and the approach will be to cut deep into the shore breaks as you retrieve. When the breaks are turbulent enough, I would guess this could actually work against you(?).

In any case, float running line is great for mending in rip currents but gets sloshed by surf.

striblue 08-07-2001 07:44 AM

Bill... I use full sink all the time.. no problem here... especially in those conditions... I find no problem with slack.

Novice 08-07-2001 08:59 AM

Ditto here, but the full sink can be difficult to cast all day. I like the full sinking line on the rip the most. It gets down fast and it stays down even when I am stripping in.

juro 08-07-2001 10:14 AM

One more point about the fullsink - the diameter is smaller making it perform better in current. Mike's comment reminded me of how much the diameter affects the line behavior.

AdrianV 08-13-2004 01:58 AM

Full sinking lines

What brand/type of full sinking lines are you guys using ?
And especially those which cast more like a regular line I'm interested in.

AdrianV

JimW 08-13-2004 07:43 AM

I'd like to try a full sink line since I seem to have trouble with the shooting heads. I went out for some casting practice the other night and after some tips from Juro discovered a whole new world of easy casting with some decent distance. Still need to work on the shooting heads but a full sink is on my list now.

What lines are people using on a 9-wt?

juro 08-13-2004 10:22 AM

I'm glad you are feeling the javelin Jim!

I used to use (and fish with people who used) the wet cel WF lines from SA. Pluses and minuses:

+ cast very nice due to density and diameter - you can aerialize more than a QD
+ running line sits in basket well due to density

- hard to prevent snagging along rocky shorelines at end of retrieve
- can't see where head starts and running line begins

Overall I think the basket is much of the problem if the running line doesn't stay in it. The new LL Bean basket holds line quite well despite being a little stiff on the waist. Per my own project, I have decided on a basket design, going to prototype now.

Dble Haul 08-13-2004 10:37 AM

Juro, I will be very interested in your prototype basket. I'm not satisfied with current baskets and their inability to handle large amounts of running line.