Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Bluewater Extreme (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Tuna Tackle Info (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=9810)

MJC 02-17-2003 02:05 AM

Tuna Tackle Info

Howdy,
Does anyone know anything about tackle configurations for fly fishing for tuna in the Pacific? I'm searching for info as to which line densities and as to the test strength and type of the proper backing.
Also does anyone have any leads for reel mechanics anywhere in the west that can overhaul Fin Nor reels. Any info will be most appreciated. Thank you for your time. Take care, MJC

juro 02-17-2003 09:45 AM

There may be some clues in Bob Veverka's Baha article, or else click on the link and I'm sure he'd provide excellent information on gear configs for those big pacific beasties. As far as repair shops, probably the best bet is to look on the Fin Nor website or call a local shop that carries them for company info.

There are some guys from the San Diego area on the board who probably have the most experience with inshore tuna on flies worth tapping into if you can put the right search string together using the above [search] button.

Good luck!

striblue 02-17-2003 09:59 AM

A great source for all this information is in Trey Combs complete book of "Bluewater Flyfishing"..everything from species to terminal tackle..Knots, etc....and flies.

juro 02-17-2003 10:12 AM

It occurred to me that the gear isn't going to differ from one coast to another, so there are plenty of folks on this board who are getting serious about tuna on the fly lately on the atlantic and can provide lots of info I am sure.

Eddie 02-17-2003 10:39 AM

I'm not sure where you are, but give Ron Archuletas @ Archuletas Reel Works in Santa Rosa a call. He is excellent. (707) 545-3224.
As for rigging and tackle info, where are you fishing? What are you fishing for? That would be a good place to start.
For backing, I like the Orvis Big Game 50#. Be careful with your knots.
I think that most of the heavy lines(heads) break at around 35-38#. Plenty strong enough. Lead Core breaks at under 30#. Maybe not strong enough. If you want to use a Rio line (not a bad idea) give Simon at Rio a call and ask him for the technical specs on the lines. He is VERY helpful.
With out knowing more about your plans, that's all I can think of. Let us know what you find out.

MJC 02-17-2003 10:49 AM

Tuna

Striblue and Juro, I've just about wore my brain out reading all the post that turned up in my search from last night. The search feature works very good on the flyfishing forum :) I've got a copy of the Trey Combs book on the way. JR Spey gave me a really good lead on a reel mechanic. I haven't checked out Bob Veverka's article yet but I'll do that right now. I'm mainly trying to figure out what line densities are used. I guess if I've got a floater, a 700grn Depthfinder and everything in between I won't have to worry about it. I'm finding out this is a little different then walking across the road to the creek and catching a couple of trout for breakfast. Thank you for your replies.

MJC 02-17-2003 10:27 PM

Tuna Tackle Info

Eddie,
Thanks for your reply. The reels are going to Archuleta's Reel Works. He is now located @ 733 Detrick Dr. Grants Pass,
OR 97527 Ph#541-956-1691
The proposed trip is to Clipperton Atoll about 400 mi. due west of the Galapagos Islands, out in the Pacific. It is for large cow tuna with conventional tackle with a chance to try for "footballs" 15 to 35lbs.with fly tackle.
Thanks to "forum members", some of my cyber friends at "waflyfishers", and a long discussion with Tim Rajeff about lines I have learned a tremendous amount of info on this subject in the last 24 hrs.
I'd like to thank you guys for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Eddie 02-17-2003 11:27 PM

What a coincience. A friend was just asking me about Cliperton, and tackle. Never heard of the place, but it sounds great. Please give us a report when you get back.
Thanks for the update on Archuletas.