Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   The Quintessential Trout (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Midge fly swap (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=9658)

John Desjardins 02-07-2003 10:08 AM

Midge fly swap

Yesterday Brad asked about the possibility of a swap of small flys. How about it, is anyone else interested? If people are I'll meister it.

Brad 02-07-2003 12:12 PM

You da man. I will send some extras for your box.

JimW 02-07-2003 01:42 PM

Sounds good John, but could you define small?

I can tie down to about #18, after that it gets ugly. How about a #16 or 18 grifiths gnat? I understand if you're limiting it to single bugs in the #22 and smaller range but I'm just not there yet.

DFix 02-07-2003 01:44 PM

When's the DEADLINE ON THIS???

(Jim - anything larger than 20 is considered a streamer :whoa: ;) :D )

moosestang 02-07-2003 02:40 PM

I'm game for a midge swap (I hope I'm not too late this time):chuckle:

John Desjardins 02-07-2003 03:15 PM

Groundrules for this swap:

Due date: March 7, 2003 If they are not in by then the swap will be closed without them.

Size: #18 or smaller, like Jim I have problems with small flys,which was my reason for hesitation on starting this swap.

The fly will be photographed and posted here so don't send in a fly that you want kept secret.

# of flys: Lets leave this one open till Monday. If the number of participantsis 6-8 I'd say tie one for every participant, >8 tie six and I'll mix and match sending six back to each participant.

I'll send my address out via PM with a copy of instructions next week.

SDHflyfisher 02-07-2003 03:35 PM

i'm in but i gotta get some supplies to do this i always seem to be running out of hooks i gotta bug my mom for money now

FrenchCreek 02-08-2003 01:42 PM

Count me in!

SDHflyfisher 02-10-2003 03:39 PM

ok i got the suplies and now i need to tie the flies what happens if more than one person ties the same fly?

John Desjardins 02-10-2003 06:05 PM

Sean, if two people tie the same pattern its doubtful that they will end up looking like the same fly. Last year I ran a trout fly swap that had a number of pheasant tail nymphs in it. None of those were the same but they all will catch fish under different conditions.

John Desjardins 02-11-2003 11:32 AM

update

Just to update everyone, the participants in this swap are:

Brad
JimW
DFix
Moosestang
SDHFlyfisher
Frenchcreek
John Desjardins

Due date: March 7, 2003 If they are not in by then the swap will be closed without them.

Size: #18 or smaller
# of flys: 6
My address will be pm'd to everyone today.

SDHflyfisher 02-11-2003 03:44 PM

ok i've got three patterns done what next should i tie more patterns? nope sorry i've got to keep some for myself well maybe i will i've to find some more midge patterns

artb 02-13-2003 04:07 PM

midges, + made today

1 Attachment(s)
John, and whoever, even though I am not offically in the fly swap, I thought that today I would try and tie something. I tied on size 24 to size 28, they didn't come out too bad, if John sends me his address I will send them to him. Dropped 18 of them on a brown rug took me 2 hours too find them all, they are pretty small.:( Sending a picture of them so you will get the idea. Tried with an old digital camera, couldn't really get them in focus.:D

SDHflyfisher 02-13-2003 04:09 PM

that must have been fun finding those flies the smallest i tied was 20 because i didn't have any smaller hooks

John Desjardins 02-14-2003 08:35 AM

Welcome to the swap Art. If the address didn't get through yesterday send me a private message and I'll send it again. I know that fly in the rug problem very well.
:rolleyes: