Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   flies (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=9558)

SDHflyfisher 01-31-2003 04:04 PM

flies

what flies do you guys use the most for GL steelhead? and which do you have the most success with?

John Desjardins 02-04-2003 11:02 AM

Sean, I'm about to start posting a series of flies PmFlyfisher sent in for a fly swap. There are a few in there that fit the bill, and are simple to tie as well.

SDHflyfisher 02-04-2003 07:10 PM

thanks i know egg patterns work well but i only know how to tie one of them which is the glow bug

SDHflyfisher 03-03-2003 04:23 PM

i've come up with a few of my own witch i don't know if they will work and i got a few off tv. have any of you used the flesh fly?

dansteelieman 03-03-2003 05:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nymphs and eggs are my most often used patterns, but use speys and streamers at times. Imprinting natural food in our GL rivers is often successful when chasing steelhead within the region. At times, modern spey patterns such as marabou speys and bunny speys work well. Most patterns I fish incorperate flashy materials such as krystal flash and holographic tinsel as well.

Here is a pic of some of my most used patterns and ones found in the Great Lakes. Most are my own, but some are old stand by's.

:D

pmflyfisher 03-03-2003 07:04 PM

Dan,

Are those shrimp patterns in the bottom right corner ? I've been working on a number of shrimp patterns all winter.

PM Out

dansteelieman 03-03-2003 07:56 PM

yes...

That is the Galloup's shrimp, but I have my own mysis imitation. I can post the pics if you want?

pmflyfisher 03-03-2003 08:38 PM

I knew it I can tell a shrimp pattern a mile away.

:D

FYI, I have a combo shrimp and hex pattern. I call it my double nymph pattern. Hex-shrimper, or something like that

PM Out

dansteelieman 03-03-2003 08:57 PM

Same here....

1 Attachment(s)
Do you want to see mine? I have one that is a crossover as I call it....

Here's the pic.

:D :D I call it Dan's Sexy-hexy

BobK 03-04-2003 06:24 AM

Just a suggestion...

If you are interested in steelies (and who isn't), read the book "Steelhead Dreams" by Matt Supinski. In it he has good info on the Great Lakes steelies, and all aspects of the sport, including flies.

For my local tribs, my favorite patterns are size 12 or 14 beadhead gold-ribbed hare's ear (flashback), a size 10 leech pattern (a buddy of mine "invented" a unique tie), size 12 or 14 chartreuse estaz egg, and depending on water clarity, a size 12 or 14 mysis shrimp pattern. These four usually catch fish for me, although sometimes I have to rely on size 4 or 6 "bunny" flies and others.

Like most guys, I carry a lot more flies than I need "just in case", but these are the ones I catch 90 to 95% of the fish on.

(p.s. - Hey, Hal - those are mysis shrimp patterns in Dan's flybox! One of the natural foods of theGreat Lakes!)

BobK

dansteelieman 03-04-2003 01:53 PM

God bless....

Sounds like you are a true GL steelheader!

Your 100% right Bob, I always have mysis shrimp patterns in my box.

pmflyfisher 03-04-2003 02:25 PM

FYI

I have been using Mysis shrimp for 10 years or morem but special Hex and shrimp pattern is all I really need, when all is said it done.

PM Out

removed_by_request 03-04-2003 03:18 PM

They're pretty cheap to make also.

SDHflyfisher 03-04-2003 03:20 PM

i know how to tie a egg but what annoys me is that it is only half a "ball" by the way nice selection of flies

dansteelieman 03-04-2003 03:49 PM

thanks...

That is my winter box, my spring box is alot different. Larger patterns and ones needed for high spring water, and fresh fish.

The patterns I have in my winter box are usually smaller and more elaborate since fishing for stale fish is sometimes a challenge, especially when they have "lockjaw" on those cold, GL wintery days!