Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   >> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Blue Crab with Olive golden Pheasant carapace (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=9355)

striblue 01-19-2003 02:04 PM

Blue Crab with Olive golden Pheasant carapace

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure if this pic is that good, But I am going to tie these smaller ..no more than an inch wide an jusy under an inch long... the carapace is actually olive from the olive neck feather of a golden pheasant. feathers on legs and claws are highlighted with a little blue.

flyfisha1 01-20-2003 04:02 PM

Striblue - question: I don't suppose that you'd consider sending me one or two of those crab flies to have a look at? I can tie most patterns with no trouble, but for some reason crab patterns give me a fit. Name your price if you're game. Thanks!

Chris

JimW 01-20-2003 04:34 PM

Hey, I think that's the one that bit my kid at the show on Saturday. Don't let John fool you, these things are real. I think he tried to sedate them with really expensive scotch before placing them on display, but one of them woke up. I thought they looked to good to be imitations.:hehe:

striblue 01-20-2003 05:57 PM

Thanks again... I could send some if you want....or e-mail a or post a step by step..

flyfisha1 01-20-2003 06:28 PM

I'm better off actually holding one in my hand and looking at it, although step-by-step obviously will help. Shall I e-mail you to work out the particulars?

striblue 01-21-2003 10:03 AM

I don't have many, but when I do i will send one to you.

flyfisha1 01-21-2003 10:12 AM

Great, thanks so much!

fredaevans 01-21-2003 03:33 PM

Ah Ha! Maybe a touch of proof about the

Quote:

Originally posted by striblue
I don't have many, but when I do i will send one to you.
sedated crab mentioned above. So Strub's secrete is out: he injects real crabs/fish with a cheap single malt and coats them with epoxy. You tricky devil!!!!:D

BigDave 01-21-2003 03:43 PM

Hey John,

Another amazing tie.

Question for you - where do you keep all of your flies before they go out on the water with you? I'm looking for a cheap storage system as I am currently tying a year's worth of trout flies for 2003 season...

Dave

striblue 01-21-2003 04:03 PM

Actually Dave..I store my flies in Nick S's boxes I have been fortunate enough to accumulate.. but I am now using most of them for fly tying material.

BigDave 01-21-2003 04:05 PM

This time of year my tying desk is a disorganized mess of fur feathers and a few errant hooks...would hate to see what YOURS looks like :hehe:

Nick 01-21-2003 04:33 PM

Dave,
I've got access to some plastic boxes if you want. Email me if you want the details. They're about 7x11x1.5".

Nick

striblue 01-21-2003 06:01 PM

Fred E.. what a great idea... how about scrounging around beach and finding small crab carapaces and gluing them on... I mean it would be part fly and part bait..but not the tasty part..just the shell.. yes ,that's the ticket... a whole new flyfishing industry!!!! I can see it now.. "Morin's hybrid fly Catalog", Wow.. why didn't I think of it? HHHMMM..HYBRID flies.... It has a ring to it... All the fly shops.. "hey Mr., you got any new hybrids?"..."Ya..inbetween the tied flies and the bait..over there"... I got to go now .... (Well, no bait at the fly shops..but still!!!!)