Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Lines, Loops and Leaders (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Fly Lines (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=9060)

cohocola 01-01-2003 03:54 AM

Fly Lines

Has anyone here ever used Lee Wulff Triangle Taper fly lines?
If so, what do you think of it?

I've used Orvis and Scientific Anglers fly lines only over the years.
Right now, I got Orvis Wonderline on all three of my reels...:eyecrazy:

I'm thinking of changing...
What would you reccomend?

BobK 01-01-2003 07:12 AM

Wulff Triangle Taper

Have one and I love it -
I use it specifically for dry fly fishing and nymphing. Its ability to roll over and give delicate presentation is great. The color of mine (fl. orange) makes it easy to keep track of the line, even in glare.

In the fall to spring, when I go out for big browns and steelies - I change lines, knowing I will beat 'em up. Then I use (currently) an Orvis wonderline DT (They had 'em ON SALE for $39! It is a closeout for their new Wonderline Plus! You may want to pick up a spare, at that price! I
did!)

For steelhead, you roll cast a lot, and use weighted flies - not the best treatment for my good TT line.

BobK

juro 01-01-2003 08:10 AM

Let's qualify that steelhead point -

for steelhead, many use their very best lines and never use weighted flies or weights of any kind on the line. In fact it's illegal in some pacific northwest waters. I prefer to skate dries or swing subsurface wets on long leaders with floating lines. There is a big difference between great lakes techniques and pacific northwest techniques, especially summer-runs.

The Wulff T/Taper makes a great Spey line, many here will attest to that. I've also cast the intermediate Wulff for single handed rods in coastal saltwater conditions, and find it less desirable for sight fishing because it takes a long line to fully load the rod. I prefer a line that loads more quickly and gets down to business with a short amount of line in the air when shore fishing in the ocean.

How are you planning on using this line?

BobK 01-02-2003 06:35 AM

Line choices

Be careful! Suit your line to the method of fishing you use. What works for juro doesn't necessarily work for me. Neither of our techniques or preferences may be YOURS!

For the GL tribs, I use nymphs, usually weighted, and normally with an indicator. That is tough fishing for the lines, but normally is the most effective means for taking steelhead.

On those quite rare occasions here when I can use his techniques, I change spools and use my better line. (That's the advantage of a spare spool!)

What I am saying, then, is choose your main fishing line to match the way YOU primarily fish. If you have the extra bucks, a spare spool with a different line can save a day for you.

BobK

t_richerzhagen 04-21-2003 12:55 PM

TT 8/9 Spey on 7136-4

I have used the TT 8/9 for spey fishing for steelhead and like it a lot.