Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Classic Atlantic Salmon (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Hair Wing Salmon/Steelhead Fly Swap (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=8734)

pmflyfisher 12-02-2002 03:46 PM

Hair Wing Salmon/Steelhead Fly Swap

Any one interested in a hair wing atlantic salmon/steelhead fly swap with a target date of January 31, 2003 for the flies ?

Tie any pattern you like classic or or your own, probably limit it to ten participants.

Respond if interested and I will post up the fly swap guidelines this weekend.

Hal

Smolt 12-03-2002 10:10 AM

Smolt

I am interested in atlantic salmon flies. Even though I live in the Chicago area and have access to Great Lakes steelhead fishing, I have never done any and do not anticipate doing any, so steelhead flies are not part of my extensive repetoire. LOL

fredaevans 12-03-2002 01:24 PM

Hal, sounds cool!

Count me in.
Fred

pmflyfisher 12-03-2002 02:40 PM

Smolt,

Essentially many of the same atlantic salmon hair wings can also be used for GL and PNW steelhead and vice sa versa. So I assume you are in the swap.

Also why don't you fly fish for GL steelhead if you live in Chicago area like I do ? Lots of good fishing opporunities within a 2-4 hour drive in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana.

PM

Willie Gunn 12-03-2002 03:14 PM

Hal,
I'll tie a Garry Dog variation on my new Dyna King Barracuder just as soon as Fred gets it in the post. What a wonderful man he is, he understands drop addresses perfectly.

Malcolm

pmflyfisher 12-03-2002 04:11 PM

Malcolm,

Excellent, I read the history on that Garry Dog fly, poor dog. What type was it, our family is thinking about a retriever to replace our deceased Great Dane. Have to make sure we get one with long hair I suppose.

Hal

Willie Gunn 12-03-2002 04:51 PM

A yellow lab I think ? I must dig out the book and get the right story, was it the dog or his owner that was called Garry?

Malcolm

Steelheader69 12-03-2002 06:58 PM

I'm in!!!!!!!!!!

I'll tie up an atlantic fly. Will go through and pick one out. Let me know when and how many.

pmflyfisher 12-03-2002 07:01 PM

Jerry,

Will it be one of those new wire body models ?

PM me on that if you need help.

Hal

wrke 12-03-2002 09:11 PM

I'm in. Would you like a fly used in Russia or on the Gaspé?
Bill

pmflyfisher 12-03-2002 09:40 PM

Bill,

Russia of course.

Hal

fredaevans 12-03-2002 10:05 PM

Malcom's "goodie" is in the belly of a large aircraft as we type.

Quote:

Originally posted by Willie Gunn
Hal,
I'll tie a Garry Dog variation on my new Dyna King Barracuder just as soon as Fred gets it in the post. What a wonderful man he is, he understands drop addresses perfectly.

Malcolm

Now, no one is allowed to ask how "the greater we" are keeping this ... how shall we say? ... purchase from the eyes of a prying wife.

:rolleyes:

Seperate accounts are a good thing.
:devil:

flytyer 12-03-2002 11:13 PM

Count me in guys. I'll tie McNeese's Pale Peril, a dynamite morning fly in the summer and fall.

pmflyfisher 12-04-2002 08:36 AM

Ok, great including me that is 7 people.

Looking for 3 more to make the ten participants.

Have to think of what pattern to tie lets see there must be at least thousand possibilities plus any other custom patterns one may have.

Smolt 12-04-2002 01:43 PM

PM,

Yes, I am in. I will tie a Black Bear Red Butt.

I don't fish GL steelhead because I don't know much about steelhead. [As far as I can tell, fishing for steelhead is sort of the opposite of fishing for atlantic salmon.] I have no friends here who fish, so I have limited my serious fishing to trips to Maine -- where I lived for about 13 years -- and the Canadian Martimes, where I fish with friends from Maine.

My only on river exposure to the GL tribs has been the Root River. That's just too crowded for my taste.

I remember fantasizing as a teenager about fishing the Pere Marquette, the Brule, and the Manistee, but I moved East as a young man before I got a chance to fish any of those rivers. I am sure there are great experiences on the GL Tribs to be had, but, though not an old codger, I am past the age of exploring on my own.

I recently bought a 13.5' 7-wt two-hander -- my first -- and plan to learn to cast a two-handed rod this Spring. Maybe that will cause me to get off the couch and search out some GL chromers.