Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   >> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Morning Glory (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=8418)

pastortd 11-01-2002 01:46 PM

Morning Glory

1 Attachment(s)
The rivers are down, so the fishing around here is not only unproductive, but verboten. Hence, time at the vise. As soon as the waters open and the runs are in, here's what will be waiting for them.

It's called the "Morning Glory," and I learned it from seeing one of Aurele Daigle's ties. His has a Mtn. Goat (Polar sub) wing, but I just got a bunch of Arctic Fox, and I really like it! =) The recipe:

Hook: Bartleet (this is a #6)
Thread: Red 8/0
Tail: GP crest, dyed red
Body: Chartreuse floss and red dubb
Rib: Silver oval
Hackle: Grey spey hackle, palmered over front half
Collar: Chartreuse schlappen
Wing: White hair (PB, fox, calf, etc.)

Hope it is productive for you!

Stu Farnham 11-01-2002 09:15 PM

Thomas, did you see...

... the Poul Jorgensen article in the Nov. 2002 issue of the UK mag "Fly Fishing & Fly Tying"?

He ties some very nice salmon flies ysing artc fox for both iwing & collar (the collar is tied in a dubbing loop.

Stu

PS: Nice fly

pastortd 11-02-2002 12:55 AM

I don't get the magazine, but I did tie one of the flies that way... I'll email you a pic.

striblue 11-02-2002 08:40 AM

Really nice...the delicacy in that fly and the others is really something. I don't get the opportunity to fish with that work but sure think they are a work of art.

fredaevans 11-02-2002 04:16 PM

The fly also looks like it could be a going concern for

fall kings on both the Chetco and Rogue. Very similar colour combo is what 'stuck' the 71.5 pounder a couple of weeks back.
fae

tonyd 11-10-2002 01:27 AM

Being a fellow flytying addict,I always enjoy browsing through websites and other people's patterns for something "different".I must say,pastortd,that you tie some wonderful looking flies!Keep up the great work and may the fishing gods smile upon you for your creations.

pmflyfisher 11-10-2002 08:38 AM

Pastortd,

Have seen that pattern before, nice job, in great lakes chartreuse has always been a hot color for steelhead and salmon flies. Chartreuse/black, chartreuse/white combinations with gold tinsel, yellow hackle, are all variations I have in the fly walletts.

As soon as I get the fly digital picture quality up to standards will post some up this winter.

Thanks

Hal

nevada caster 11-26-2002 08:39 AM

arctic fox in a dubbing loop

How do you put Arctic Fox in a dubbing loop?Do you just catch the fibers near the cut off point?

Thanks

DFix 01-08-2003 10:59 AM

Tom, Compliments to the Chef!

I've looked at your work 'here and there' and just wanted to throw that compliment out there. Thanks.

pastortd 01-08-2003 11:31 AM

Re: arctic fox in a dubbing loop

Quote:

Originally posted by nevada caster
How do you put Arctic Fox in a dubbing loop?Do you just catch the fibers near the cut off point?

Thanks

I tried to tie it like I do calftail - put the wing in facing forward first, then bend it back after hackle. That made a <i>huge</i> head, and was rather unseemly. Now I just tie it in at the head, trim closely, and add a drop of superglue at the tie-in point. If you don't glue it, the hair comes out bit by bit, but the CA+ seems to hold well.

I do use dubbin loops for hair hackles, but that's another story. Arctic Fox makes a very nice hair hackle! I love this material!

flytyer 01-08-2003 09:38 PM

Pastortd,

I also love Artic Fox and have been tying with it for 11 years, which is when I first saw an Artic Fox tail, which of course I had to buy. I tie it in by putting some Fleximent (actually I make my own from Sportsman's Goop thinned with Toluene) on the wing mounting base wrap, then mount the Artic Fox wing, cut the butts close, put another drop of Fleximent on the wing butts, and lastly I whip finish over the butts as soon as the wing is tied in. Afterward I coat the fly head with a medium viscosity head cement, this fill in all the thread gaps and gives a nice, smooth, and very durable head and fly. I found this method to be faster than the super glue and just as durable.

Gardener 01-09-2003 06:14 AM

Those taking part in the hairwing fly swap will be receiving a fly tied with an Arctic fox hackle spun a la Jorgensen. I saw the FF&FT article and had to give it a go, adapting one of my favourite patterns. I'm now a bit concerned about the hair falling out, though; it never occurred to me to cement it in. Apologies to all if they do come apart, but they're already on their way across the Atlantic, so out of my hands!

Pastortd, Jorgensen ties his flies in three stages, as follows:

1. Underwing
2. Spun hackle in dubbing loop.
3. Overwing tied forwards and then turned back, on top of the hackle.

There doesn't seem to be any problem with bulky heads with this method. The flies illustrating the magazine article have tiny heads; my tying skills are not up to his, but it still gives very acceptable results.

pmflyfisher 01-09-2003 08:46 AM

Gardener.

Would you like me to take the risk of dapping a spot of super glue on them ?

PM Out

DFix 01-09-2003 10:10 AM

To respond to Hal's 'can I help' - this may be old news, but, if you have access to a very thin, deeply penetrating cement marketed by, made by or named "Fritz von Schlegel", which comes in a small round, white-capped bottle, blue and white label, with a ball stopper applicator brush in the neck, this might be a very good product to use on these heads. I think it comes from the Spirit River catalog.

Gardener 01-09-2003 10:34 AM

Hal, when the flies arrive I'd be happy for you to doctor them if necessary, although in fact I've had a look at a couple that have stayed in my box here and the hackle seems quite well fixed. But if any of them seem loose then do please do whatever you can.

I don't quite know how you would get the superglue/cement/varnish in without clogging the hair, though - maybe by pulling the hackle forward over the eye and putting a little drop at the very base? I'll leave it to you, but thanks for the offer - as this will be the first international flyswap I've done, my reputation is on the line ;)