Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   >> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Flys For Sharks. (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=8078)

saltydog 10-03-2002 08:35 PM

Flys For Sharks.

:whoa: anyone tyin or has tied flys for shark fishin,looking for pattens heading out next weekend.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN":smokin:

striblue 10-03-2002 11:26 PM

Salty...I have not tied any but I think Lefty Kreh's book..which is in paperback has tons of flies and I believe he has a page on several Shark flys. If I was going without any sources I would tye Bright Flies...Reds and oranges with flash 6 tp 10 inches long...just a guess.

Adrian 10-04-2002 04:46 AM

If you will be cumming, dont forget a few chum flies. Blood red marabou plus a few bits of saltwater flash around a 4/0 - 6/0 hook- pearl/silver to look like a chunk of bloody bait and fish skin.

Rig a couple on heavy poper heads. Not to pop but to float dead-drift. A popped fly generally spooks 'em.

Sharks love to head-n-tail on chum chunks floating on the surface. Just dont try it with 7X ;)

striblue 10-04-2002 09:45 AM

Salty..I have instructions for a Joe Brooks Chum fly if you want...for off shore .

saltydog 10-04-2002 04:15 PM

STRIBLUE, yes sir, if want to post it ,maby some one else might want to do some also. thank you if not you can e-mail.
"GOOD LUCK GODTYIN":smokin:

saltydog 10-04-2002 04:19 PM

ADRIAN, I did 12 red/white marabou ones on 8/0 done, expect tp lose them all tryin. :chuckle: :chuckle:
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

DFix 10-04-2002 04:50 PM

Rich -

8" + Deceiver of Furnace Green over Some shade of blue over pink over yellow over white, on some thick wire hook similar to that one you used in the swap - I've used this one and it's reasonably effective.

or how about a larger version of the thing you tied in red, white and black with the red epoxy head and google eyes? - that would go great with a collar of red and pink marabou. Don't forget the flash, and another idea is a similar thing with pink and red and peach colored feathers that might look like a meat chunk.

striblue 10-04-2002 09:58 PM

Great..gives me another reason to tie..I will tye a few tomorrow and post picture and receipes

saltydog 10-05-2002 08:05 AM

DFIX, I like the color combo PINK/PEACH/RED, Ill take a pic of the CHUM FLY I have today. your outher color combo is TO GOOD for sharks. ;)
"GOOD LUCK GOODTYIN"

saltydog 10-05-2002 08:08 AM

striblue, thanks again, Ill have to order Joes book this week.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN" :smokin:

saltydog 10-06-2002 07:29 AM

CHUM FLY !

1 Attachment(s)
CHUM FLY.

"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

striblue 10-06-2002 12:06 PM

Salty, nice....good proportions..looks better than the example in Lefty's pattern book.

saltydog 10-07-2002 02:04 PM

thanks you, it 8" long on a 8/0 hook, used a bunch of marabou. 4 flies took 2 packs white. Ive got 12 of'em:smokin: thanks for the help on posting, an the info on the flies. hope to get out this week end. 'GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN":smokin: