Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Hey sleepy... (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=7994)

fishboyicu812 09-26-2002 06:15 PM

Hey sleepy...

Looks like your prayers might have been answered, at least in regard to the rain....good luck on your trip north!

fredaevans 09-26-2002 11:52 PM

This will sound like a silly post to your post but

here you're among friends. It's really ok, and prefered, that you use your real name. Far too much knowledge amoung us all not to be considered 'best of friends;' even on those occations where we 'agree to disagree.' To, perhaps, over kill this ... 'flaming' is stomped out with a KC 135 tanker. (Hal, did I get that plane designation half-way right?)

Besides, a lot of 'us' would love to know where 'he' was headed.
:>)

fae

BigDave 09-27-2002 07:41 AM

Steven,

Our timing sucks, huh?

Fogot to mention last weekend: My bro and I are going out with ReelDream Charters on Oct 6th and are looking for a 3rd. Let me know if you're interested. You're welcome to crash in Waltham anytime.

I think they stocked the Swift this week :devil:

Good times....good times.....

Dave

talented_willie 09-27-2002 12:49 PM

Dave,

Are you gonna hit 'em at the Swift this Sat.? I might still be on lock down. Steven has taken his moblie home HOME (to MD). I bet he'll log a few hours on the Bay while home.

willie

BigDave 09-27-2002 01:03 PM

T-will,

Nice to hear from ya :hehe:

This train be rollin' at 4:45am tomorrow. You're welcome to join - probably split around noon - 1pm.

Lockdown? How many weekends in a row, dude? Got to get your mind together! :devil:

I am in for an early evening beer drinking session either way :smokin: Currently have 2 amps at the house...

-BigD

sleepy weasel 09-30-2002 09:16 AM

fishboyicu812

Not sure what direction this thread went, but

The rain realy was a Godsend. I went up this weekend. It didn't do a lot to the river but did help out some. Hopefully it put some water in the reservoirs so they can start releasing more water. Will find out tonight what the new flow forcast will be.

Even with the decent fishing I agree with BigDave and your assensments of the all the stuff going on. All those fish in the low clear water is making it preety ugly with all the snagged fish. Don't see why people are throwing running lines with their fly rods (it'll give you tennis elbow and it looks like hell) but it seems to be the popular thing plus people are still using giant weights. High water at least gives the fish a chance.

John.

BigDave 09-30-2002 09:25 AM

my bad

Sleepy,

Sorry for bastardizing this thread...

How did you do this weekend? I heard there was a big push of fish on Saturday and Sunday AM. I'm afraid that they will be doomed to congregating in the bridge holes since the water is still at 110cfs however...

Hope you have some pics to post too.

sleepy weasel 09-30-2002 09:44 AM

BigDave

you replyed while I was editing my post.

Yes there was a good push of fish saturday and sunday in the lower river. I imagine this will continue even with the low water. Should get even better with cooler temps and if the flow is increased.

That short bridge pool in town is a freak show isn't it.

No pics to post, I not that High tech. I did get one beauty though. First fish a new rod I just finished building... a 41 inch football shaped king. The only thing that can top a 20 + pound arial somer-sault followed by a belly flop is a hot steelhead or coho.

John.

fishboyicu812 09-30-2002 01:06 PM

Glad to see you got one

Not a bad way to break in a new rod if you ask me. Well done especially considering the conditions! Were did you concentrate most of your effort...the DSR section?

I have a couple of photographs from the trip that Dave and I took a week or so ago. They really do a great job in showing how the "circus came to town". All I need to do now is figure out how to work a scanner! My favorite shows BigDave fishing with one hundred and fifty of our closet friends!

pmflyfisher 09-30-2002 04:04 PM

Yes, would love to see that picture. Thank god we only have about 5 dam locations like that in Michigan and Wisconsin where the Cletus crowd congregates, and I have not been to one in about 10 years.:D

I stay far away from them during salmon season and steelhead peaks. Only sneak in to them in the off periods of the run when there may be some fish there, without the Cletus crowds.