Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   >> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Peanut Bunker- Three types (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=7710)

striblue 09-07-2002 03:03 PM

Peanut Bunker- Three types

1 Attachment(s)
Three types of Peanut bunker tyed a bit bigger...but not much ...to attract attention in large schools of bait... This one is Super hair veiled in large Krystal flash pearl and trimmed to shape.

striblue 09-07-2002 03:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This one is angel hair with an angel hair dorsal black and the body is tyed in clumps then trim to shape...then layer balck dorsal:

striblue 09-07-2002 03:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This one is out of Veverkas book:

Doc Duprey 09-08-2002 03:55 PM

Peanut Bunker - three types

These are all beautiful flies!

A newbie question though is just how big are they? In the 2 - 4 in. range? Bigger? Obviously, I need more time on the water, but any info/advice is a help.

Best regards, and see you in RI on the 28th.

-Doc :D

striblue 09-08-2002 04:02 PM

Doc...right now atleast where I fish on the Cape the peanut bunker are about an inch long..as far as I can tell.... cut open one of the blues I caught last week and the stomach was packed with one inch bunker as well.....In situations where there is heavey bait and alot of activity I want my fly to stand out so these are tyed about 2 inches...I should have put a quarter next to them. A numer of blues ignored my one inch silversides I put on and went for the two inch sand eel and clouser while they were blitzing peanut bunker I did not have these at the time... I did catch some on angel hair bait fish patterns of about two inches....but these flys are an attempt to match the hatch even more....and have bigger hooks.

joe wojtan 09-09-2002 12:34 AM

bunkers

Quote:

Originally posted by striblue
Doc...right now atleast where I fish on the Cape the peanut bunker are about an inch long..as far as I can tell.... cut open one of the blues I caught last week and the stomach was packed with one inch bunker as well.....In situations where there is heavey bait and alot of activity I want my fly to stand out so these are tyed about 2 inches...I should have put a quarter next to them. A numer of blues ignored my one inch silversides I put on and went for the two inch sand eel and clouser while they were blitzing peanut bunker I did not have these at the time... I did catch some on angel hair bait fish patterns of about two inches....but these flys are an attempt to match the hatch even more....and have bigger hooks.
Very Very nice John, bigger is better they say
Joe :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

BigDave 09-09-2002 07:58 AM

nice...

Great flies!

The angel hair model must look awesome when wet. Have the silversides show up en masse yet? My brother fished boston harbor this weekend and said they were everywhere...

Dave

Nick 09-09-2002 09:20 AM

Actually Big Dave, Sunday I hooked a silverside right through its top and bottom lips during a retrieve on SB Flats. It was as if he was trying to attack the fly, looked like I had baited the fly with it. He was released to fight again. They were all over the flats,jumping and shining in the sun.

NIck

striblue 09-09-2002 09:27 AM

Nick...silversides Too? all I saw last weekend were bunker.... well back to the vise... need to have a full arsenal this weekend.

Nick 09-09-2002 10:21 AM

Shiners, silversides, not sure what the term is...but this is what I hooked and what jumped!

<image removed due to copyright issues. Guys and gals be careful where you include links from. No harm done but make sure you check if anything you are posting has any restrictions before hand. Including just hyper links is the best way to go if you are unsure. Thanks -sean>