Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   >> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Monomoy Shrimp (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=7502)

striblue 08-21-2002 11:49 PM

Monomoy Shrimp

1 Attachment(s)
OK...I will go with this at Monomoy this weekend...Brown sand color, Poplovic style...tyed on a #2 Verivas hook... with a 4X or 6 or 8 pound test... will be tyed on the tippet with an improved clinch knot, not my usual Improved mono-loop.

Penguin 08-22-2002 12:12 AM

...looks a little like...

...a ParanoidPenguinShrimp?! sorta...
The one I gave you at N Monomoy, I tried for sand colours to match what Jim W and I were kicking up.
A smaller/finer, less obvious hook might be a consideration?!
Soonerorlater we'll break the code!
The boat leaves at 0800...be under it!

FishHawk 08-22-2002 05:51 AM

Try one in light cream. Nice job on the tan one. I can't make this trip but will be on the next one with my secret shrimp. Fishhawk

striblue 08-22-2002 08:12 AM

Pete, I will post a picture of your shrimp later today. The one I did shows as more brown as a result of the picture but is actually a very light Brown..almost tan in reality.

striblue 08-22-2002 08:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pete..I decided to post now...the ajustment with color contract on the adope photo shop makes it look more brown... but to see it clearly I did make the ajustment. It is really a tan as is mine...yours more so.

striblue 08-22-2002 08:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are both without color adjustment.....

Quentin 08-22-2002 09:09 AM

Re: ...looks a little like...

Quote:

Originally posted by Penguin
...A smaller/finer, less obvious hook might be a consideration?!

I wondered about this when I was at SB on Monday. In my quest to find a fly that the fish would eat, rather than just follow, I pulled all the flash out of one of my small tan flies and even clipped the tail/wing so the fly was smaller and stubbier looking, much like the baitfish I saw. When I checked the fly's look and action in the water, I thought it looked good but noticed that the hook stuck out like a sore thumb (which I suppose is better than sticking into a sore thumb :hehe: ) The bright, shiny hook was the first thing I could see when I tried to spot my fly during the retrieve. And it was only a #1 or #2. Maybe a smaller bronze hook is worth a try, even though it won't last long in the salt?

Q

BigDave 08-22-2002 09:12 AM

Coupl'a good lookin' crustaceans there. Nice ties, fellas.

Especially like the tan one - the shrimp I have been seeing are almost white. Kind of translucent too.

I played around with some bodi-braid last night and will be bringing my own experimental patterns to the island this weekend. We might just need to show them something they haven't seen before :devil:

BigD

JimW 08-22-2002 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice shrimps.

Here's my take on those little critters. One of these has a lead keel, a couple tied on #2 one on a #4. I wonder about working them though. Seems they were on the bottom making 6" bursts. Even the weighted shrimp is not going to stay on the bottom. I wonder if instead of matching the exact look another angle would be to tie super small craft fur clousers? Hmmm... maybe after fishing tonight. I'll be on the 8 Sat.:D

BigDave 08-22-2002 10:38 AM

Out of curiosity....has anyone on this thread ever had a "great day" with shrimp patterns?

I have quite a few of them in my box, but most have never hit the water because I'm not confident with them. Just wondering if others feel the same or have a different opinion...

BigDave

Penguin 08-22-2002 10:50 AM

...Dave...

Ask Jim Bender about miniscule shrimp...he's had banner daze!
Go Figure?! Worth a try...even on a dropper rig...

striblue 08-22-2002 01:37 PM

Dave..I did pick up a striper on shrimp at Monomoy...see a past post... I was however blind casting is one of the holes and twitching it.... I had fished that hole with everything else...until I used the shrimp. By the way the verivas hook is not shinny but plain.

striblue 08-22-2002 02:09 PM

Dave and others..please bring a copy of any shrimp's you are tying and if I can borrow them I will post with them all together. A great way to compare styles and it would be great if we discover the one that works or if they all do... If they don't...back to the drawing board...knowing the way this season has gone Monomoy will probably be full of crabs this weekend and we will really get screwed up.... I will bring a huge Lobster fly and tarpon fly... a couple years ago an old friend who used to work at the Harwich Orivs shop..Peter Alves... had tried everything one day to no avail so he took a tarpon fly he happened to have and tried that and caught one fish after another with it.... so..howabout my huge Murphy Lobster fly just sitting there in it's tied defensive position.

BigDave 08-22-2002 02:14 PM

Sounds good to me...

SCAMPI-CLAVE '02!

:hehe:

Dave

Nick 08-22-2002 02:17 PM

I'm in for this one. I tied up one out of some puglisi hair. We'll see how it works. What times the dance? 8am?

nick