Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   >> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   epoxy (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=6696)

joe wojtan 06-12-2002 02:54 PM

epoxy
 
Hi
If you like working with epoxy,here is an interesting fly to tie!!!
http://www.pixhost.com/pixj/jwojtan/silver-sides.jpg
But it does require that you have a drying motor, and they say, it does catch fish.

Nick 06-12-2002 03:14 PM

Joe,
Super translucent...really nice. Would be great for anchovies and silversides (with silver tubing on the bottom and a darker one on top).
Nick

DFix 06-12-2002 03:42 PM

regarding epoxy: if five-minute epoxy is used for any body/head styling, it is not completely waterproof, meaning it will not withstand total immersion for extended periods of time. Furthermore, five minute epoxy compounds discolor (yellow) after a season or so. In order to waterproof, one should coat five minute epoxy, after it is dry and cured, with either thirty minute or more extended time (90 min.) material; this info does not take into account rod finishes, head cements, etc.

(guess I better do something more interesting than read - Nick's ahead of me in posts :eek: )

joe wojtan 06-12-2002 03:47 PM

epoxy fly
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick
Joe,
Super translucent...really nice. Would be great for anchovies and silversides (with silver tubing on the bottom and a darker one on top).
Nick

Nick
The only way to have two differant colors is to tie using silver tubing, on the top and bottom, then with a color marker paint the upper part whatever color comes to mine, Idon't know how else you could accomplish what you suggested.
I tied what you see in the picture with the gold tubing, I didn't have any silver tubing, so I used what I had just to have fun.
What do you think about my use of a color marker.
Joe :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Nick 06-12-2002 03:56 PM

Joe,
That's kinda what I was thinking. Silver tubing with the top half markered dark blue or olive. Could be killer!






<----They keep growing! :D

joe wojtan 06-12-2002 03:59 PM

epoxy
 
Quote:

Originally posted by DFix
regarding epoxy: if five-minute epoxy is used for any body/head styling, it is not completely waterproof, meaning it will not withstand total immersion for extended periods of time. Furthermore, five minute epoxy compounds discolor (yellow) after a season or so. In order to waterproof, one should coat five minute epoxy, after it is dry and cured, with either thirty minute or more extended time (90 min.) material; this info does not take into account rod finishes, head cements, etc.

(guess I better do something more interesting than read - Nick's ahead of me in posts :eek: )

DFix
I agree with you on the discoloration of the 5 minuet epoxy after a time, but what I do when I use 5 minuet epoxy is to coat the 5 minuet stuff with Sally Hansen, Hard as Nails, but I'm not sure if this will prevent discoloration from personal experience, but I was told that it would.
The other longer cure epoxy will not discolor after a time, but I don't know anyting about it being water proof or not.
Interesting subject, would like more comments.
Joe.

joe wojtan 06-12-2002 04:09 PM

epoxy fly
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick
Joe,
That's kinda what I was thinking. Silver tubing with the top half markered dark blue or olive. Could be killer!

Nick
Must go to my material supplier soon, and get some silver tubing and give it a shot.
When I do, I will tie one, and use two differant colors, I like your idea, I believe thats what this forum is for, the exchange of ideas.
It would be almost inmpossible to use anything but 5 minuet epoxy to work on this fly,
Joe







<----They keep growing! :D

:tsk_tsk: :tsk_tsk: :tsk_tsk: :tsk_tsk: :tsk_tsk: :razz:

Quentin 06-12-2002 06:15 PM

Interesting fly Joe. Keep 'em coming!

If you want to use something other than 5 min epoxy, couldn't you just let it set a little before you build up the body? Or would that not work for some reason? Just a thought.

I can't stand the smell of the 5 min stuff. I use the Devcon 2 ton because it has virtually no odor. I usually need the extra working time anyway:hehe: I've never tried to fill in a large space like that though.

Q


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 PM.


Copyright Flyfishingforum.com (All Rights Reserved)