Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Great Lakes Summer Skamania Outing! (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=6690)

dansteelieman 06-11-2002 08:16 PM

Great Lakes Summer Skamania Outing!

Well if anyone is interested, lets try to get an outting together for skamania steelhead this summer. It can take place on one of the rivers or possibly in the surf? We need to get a good amount of people from this site to come, and anyone would be welcome, even if you aren't from this region. I was thinking sometime in July! How about it?:rolleyes:

pmflyfisher 06-11-2002 09:19 PM

Dan,

It will depend on the selected date for me but I will be up there in July searching for the skams for sure.

Let me know the target dates.

Hal

fredaevans 06-11-2002 10:03 PM

"Hate yous guys to peaces" :>)

I'll be chasing 4-6 pounders, you'll be chasing 1--15 pounders.
:mad:

Life at this time on the Rogue (sans spring kings) is not good.

Read envey here.
:smokin:

pmflyfisher 06-12-2002 06:24 AM

Fred,

Clarification its more like we will be chasing 10 - 20 lbers, some over 20. Record is 27lbs I think right now.

A mean steelhead on steriods. Starting my extra arm strength training now for these guys. :smokin:

Hal:

Nick 06-12-2002 07:23 AM

I'll be in Michigan for a Wedding in August...the 16th I think. If it happens around this date, I'd love to try my first outing for something that doesn't live in the Salt!

Nick

pmflyfisher 06-12-2002 01:03 PM

Nick,

You will love pure great lakes fresh water steelhead, bring your best tackle, as you will need it for these brutes.

JDJones 06-12-2002 04:54 PM

Skammie outing

Count me in. Since I am a stranger in this part of the country I can use all the help I can get. This would be a great way to meet some of the local experts and compare notes. Keep in touch. The library is working on the webmail problem. Flytalk posts are doable, and when all else fails, I can go to Kinko's.

JD

pmflyfisher 06-12-2002 05:27 PM

I don't know great lakes guys a southern california spey steelhead fisherman hmmm, just looks odd to me.

Fred, I know you fished with JD, can we expect a hard core steelheader because thats what we are out here.:devil:

dansteelieman 06-12-2002 06:04 PM

Yes we are....

Whether it be fishing for skamania on 105deg summer days, or beating the winter blues by presenting spey flies in the winter months as snow falls and hoping just to hookup with one steelhead to get the adrenaline pumping!

I can't say it any better, I am an all year chromage hunter!

dansteelieman 06-12-2002 09:24 PM

details!

We will be going to the St. Joe, Dowagiac, or other streams within the general area. We are looking to keep the outing in the Southwestern area of Michigan since the runs are phenominal here.

We will be doing an all weekend thing as well. I am not sure about lodging and sleeping arrangments as of right now. The date isn't final yet either, but I am anticipating the 2nd or 3rd weekend of July.

Well, please let me know if anyone is interested!

Nick 06-13-2002 07:43 AM

I'll have to get the low down on the area from you guys when I head there in August. Too bad the clave won't be then...but you can't win them all!

Nick

pmflyfisher 06-13-2002 12:58 PM

Dansteelieman,

What no surfs up skamania in your outing plan ? Just the Joe and the Dog ?

dansteelieman 06-13-2002 02:39 PM

ah haaaaa....

We are walking the beaches one day....you didn't think that I was just river fishing!?!:confused:

JDJones 06-18-2002 05:29 PM

Skammie Outing

Count me out. Job ended rather unexpectedly. Would have been nice to have hooked up with some of you guys and seen what the Great Lakes have to offer, but I guess it was not meant to be. I'm out of here.

JD

pmflyfisher 06-18-2002 07:21 PM

Wow Toledo must have been really bad. To bad you had to leave as things will be really getting going soon. Catch you next time have a safe trip back to SD.