Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   The Quintessential Trout (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   "Expensive" fishing licenses (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=6226)

Nooksack Mac 05-06-2002 05:41 PM

"Expensive" fishing licenses

For perspective if your annual fishing license seems costly: check the cost of one day's skiing at the resort nearest to your home.
Field & Stream has just run a two-part series of how many state f&g departments are starving for revenue. Either fishing licenses must go to many times their present bargain prices, or state govts. must find ways to get non-consumptive users of wildlife (birdwatchers, day-hikers, leaf-peepers, etc.) to share the costs.

pmflyfisher 05-06-2002 05:53 PM

I know I used to be a big skier when the $ 25 a day was high. Now it is out of my league, thank god I live in the mid west and don't have mountains close other wise I would be in pain, because I really loved skiing.

Now it is probably $ 50 a day minimum at most ski resorts.

Fishing licenses are a real bargain from this perspective

Brad 05-07-2002 01:49 PM

I do not agree that lift tickets are much more expensive than fishing licenses. CO cost me $20 for instate. WY was $70 for out of state. Three days on the green is $22 and five on Henry's fork will be $26. The total that I will spend this year is going to be at least $138. My season pass at Copper was $209. I will fish about as many days as I skiied so that the cost/day is about the same. I like the idea that we charge leaf peepers. How about a toll booth on the Kancamangas. You must pay if you do not have a fishing rod in the car.

pmflyfisher 05-07-2002 01:57 PM

I happen to know what the Kancamangus trail is, doubt if many other non easterners do. WY = $ 70 for out of state must be one of the highest in U.S. What is instate $ 5-10 ?

I was referring to daily skiing rates, season pass $ 209 sounds like a great deal to me. Unlimited season pass just to hit golf balls at my local park district range is $ 300.

Yes fishing license fees could be increased national, I will gladly pay more. I will even pay for a private beat like Europe has so I can have my own section of the river in solitude with nature, etc...

Stone 05-08-2002 04:13 PM

The Kanc

Oh come on, everyone knows what the Kanc is... :hehe:

pmflyfisher 05-08-2002 04:24 PM

FYI
Spent about 5 boy hood summers on the Big Winnie in the Meredith area, White Mountains, etc...

Is Harts Turkey Farm still there ? My parents used to know the owner and we would get preferred treatment when there. Great memories of that area and my biggest smallmouth still comes from the Winnie.

Stone 05-08-2002 04:30 PM

Oh yeah, Harts is still there.

DFix 05-08-2002 04:32 PM

Hart's Turkey Farm

Is alive and well, advertising on WMUR, appears to be thriving. Food's good too !:devil:

I still have a bitch of a time swallowing the state's increase of license fees without more return of service.

SDHflyfisher 10-25-2002 04:58 PM

here in WI we pay extra for an inland trout stamp and a great lakes stamp but i don't mind paying it considering i get to pay less for a regular license because i am only 16