Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   The Quintessential Trout (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Have you ever had one of those days? (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=6224)

Redleg 05-06-2002 12:58 PM

Have you ever had one of those days?

If any of you were fishing on Lake Taneycomo this weekend, you could not have missed me.

I was all thumbs, left feet, discombobulated, and just plain screwed up.

I get to the river with my newly rented jon boat. One of the locals greets me and says the water is too low for my boat. I dismiss his advice and put on anyways.

So, there I am, in the boat with my duck dog and a trout rises next to the boat. My dog, being the vigilant hunter he is, decides it must be a diving duck and launches himself into the water, amidst the wading fishermen.

So, I am mortified, and decide it's best to leave that little section of water. So I fire up the engine and start heading downstream. Little did I know that the bottom of the river was coming up to meet my boat, and with a loud grinding sound, the prop bites into the riverbed, probably sending the fish into the next county. So, exasperated, I jump out of the boat (sans waders) and push my boat back to the launch where I hope to escape unnoticed.

To all the fishermen out there that day...I apologize. I'm really not that screwed up! We've all had days like this, right?:eyecrazy:

Brian

Lefty 05-06-2002 01:37 PM

Don't sweat it pal, you're amongst the greatest of screwball here. Just ask Striblue, he's pulled somereal doozys ;)

We all have our moments...a certain anchor toss comes to mind.

Lefty

Stone 05-06-2002 01:37 PM

Yikes!

Haven't had a day like that yet, but learning to cast, I have snapped the line and spooked more fish than I have caught the first two years out there... so I know where you are coming from.

Hope next trip is less crashing and more casting!
:D

FlyFishAR 05-06-2002 08:04 PM

ooops...

That was the first of hopefully many "helment fires" to come. At least you didn't wrap the fly line up in the prop as well. Been there.......done that.

John Desjardins 05-06-2002 08:46 PM

We've all had those days. Normally mine involve an accidental swim :hehe:.

pmflyfisher 05-07-2002 09:27 AM

Usually mine involve forgetting some critical item, thank god I have not had a good dunking in probably 20 years (Knock on wood etc..) the last one was a real cold michigan march dunking into a black muck swamp. Luckily it happened on probably my best single day of steelheading hooking 15 and landing 3 in one morning on St. Patricks day.

Brad 05-07-2002 12:57 PM

Those are the memories that you will always cherish. I got stuck to my waist in a bog in Maine one year and had to wait to get rescued. Later that year I got stuck in a pond on the cape and lost my wading boots trying to get out. Also try to learn from your mistakes.