Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Michigan Steelhead Trip Pictures (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=6191)

pmflyfisher 05-04-2002 11:22 AM

Michigan Steelhead Trip Pictures

1 Attachment(s)
Muskegon River a couple of miles below Croton Dam On Monday Day one of the trip. Nice wide river for the spey. Yes it was a cold wintry morning

pmflyfisher 05-04-2002 11:28 AM

More Muskegon

1 Attachment(s)
This is the run I hit the two chromers first thing Monday morning, and watched them porpoising and jumping saying good bye to me and my fly :whoa:

pmflyfisher 05-04-2002 11:45 AM

More to come have to resize some pictures.

pmflyfisher 05-04-2002 06:53 PM

Litttle Manistee

1 Attachment(s)
A sweet river with all wild fish.

pmflyfisher 05-04-2002 06:55 PM

Little Manistee

1 Attachment(s)
This is below the weir, maybe 2 miles from Lake Michigan

pmflyfisher 05-04-2002 07:01 PM

Little Manistee

1 Attachment(s)
What a pretty river this is all in the national forest and accessible, no DBs either, do you see why ?

pmflyfisher 05-04-2002 07:04 PM

Pere Marquette

1 Attachment(s)
Fly fishing only no kill stretch - All wild fish salmon, steelhead, brown trout, 24 X7 open season, except for the trout.

pmflyfisher 05-04-2002 07:08 PM

More PM

1 Attachment(s)
Did I say the water was like a spring creek and there was a lot of log jams, and deep bends to chase hooked steelie through:smokin: :smokin:

pmflyfisher 05-04-2002 07:10 PM

More Clay Banks area

1 Attachment(s)
Just upstream from here is the Deer Lick and where several of my encounters with Mr. and Mrs. Steelhead were. They still swim wild today, which the most important thing for me

pmflyfisher 05-04-2002 07:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just downstream from Green Cottage.

The Avatar picture under my name shows me fishing these runs about 10 years ago in November for the autumun steelies

pmflyfisher 05-04-2002 07:18 PM

The Arsenal

1 Attachment(s)
There are three primary wallets of steelie flies there, god knows how many there are. 100s at least. Never be on the river with out the right fly is my motto. Oh forget to tell you there are 4 more backup contingency small boxes in the vest you do not see in the picture.

Fred how do you like my Thinsulate hat, thats the old one, never did get a new one after the Estonia posting fiasco. Maybe next year.

Check out my home made camflouge wading staff (an old down hill ski pole (30 years old) which were converted. Did use them last week in the Deer Lick. Dam that current is strong when wading upstream

pmflyfisher 05-04-2002 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
"RESPECT THE RIVER" is the MO on the PM.

No garbage, every one cleans and cares for it.

Not changed much at all in 22 years I have been going there

pmflyfisher 05-04-2002 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spey set up:

Marryat MR 9

St Croix Spey 13 ft 7/8 weight

Went 0 for 12 but it was a great baptizing for the new rod, some great fights in those fish. They would have swam free even if I landed one, two were close if I would have some one with me to help think I would have gotten at least one of them for sure.

Running into log jams with 4 lb test leader and 10-14 lb steelies is not a high probability of success to the angler.

Oh well went 0 for 20 something on fresh kings one time in the PM and we walked out that day saying Alaska could not be better.

Life is good when the fish are there

juro 05-05-2002 04:47 AM

thanks!

Very nice photo journal of your home waters, Hal!

striblue 05-05-2002 09:15 AM

Hal, great pics, looks like tough wading to me after all the Cape wading I have done, Nice rod and reel set up. Will collar Juro to show me the spey techneque someday. Just what I need ....more fly rods:p