Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Stripers and Coastal Gamefish (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Spring Clave 2002 - Rhody Old School (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=6066)

juro 04-23-2002 11:25 PM

Spring Clave 2002 - Rhody Old School

Peter Jenkins of Saltwater Edge has invited us to kick of the year (for those of us who did not make the early bird w/ Capt. Ray) down in the Narragansett Bay area.

The rough agenda would include morning fishing on the Rhody coast, mid-day gathering at Newport's swankiest fly shop, Jenks' place. Rumor has it that we'll have some top notch guests and instructors on hand at the store. Then we can enjoy a lunch somewhere along the strip in Newport to prepare for the famous worm hatch that night.

Several pro's have voiced an interest in chipping in and it promises to be a great time. Some may want to stay over to fish Sunday as well, we can figure out the accomodations plan as always.

Stay tuned for more details.

FishHawk 04-24-2002 06:06 AM

Things are heating up count me in on this one . FishHawk

Jimmy 04-24-2002 08:30 AM

Juro,

Do you have any Idea on the dates? The sooner I know the better. I may have to take vacation time or try and get some one to work my shift Either way, I'll be there. :D

Adrian 04-24-2002 08:49 AM

Cant keep me away from this one either!

Worm Hatch - Full Moon - Sat/Sun 25/26 ???

bcasey 04-24-2002 10:11 AM

Sounds like a blast, you know I'm in !

Penguin 04-24-2002 11:31 AM

...what he said...

...ME TOO!...as an aspiring Aide de Campe to El Presidente' Case, I can only hope to share a ride and bask in his grande presence and soak up some of his insightful wizzzdom...

Smcdermott 04-24-2002 11:54 AM

I would like to attend. Let me know the date. I may be able to house a few guests in Narraganset.

Hawkeye 04-24-2002 01:29 PM

Never experienced a worm hatch and would love to see it. I'm in. Let me know if I can help with anything.

RayStachelek 04-24-2002 02:41 PM

I'm fine tuning my flatwings and cinder worm patterns as I speak.

Adrian 04-24-2002 03:48 PM

Ray, thats cool - don't forget to bring along a few of those new organic flies too ;)

Jimmy 04-24-2002 04:04 PM

Worms

Quick question. I know from my travels around New England, I could be talking about the same fish as some one else and not know it due to the different names of the fish. Down here we have porgys. Some place may have scup. Same fish different name. The question is this..... Cinder worm....Clam worm. Same critter or totally different animal? I need to know!:confused:

Dble Haul 04-24-2002 04:25 PM

Jimmy, the answer to your question is yes. The cinder worm and clam worm are names that are used interchangeably along the coast to describe what is essentially the same creature. While scup and porgy are the same species, either one of the worm nomenclatures is used to include any one of hundreds of different species of marine worms. The differences in these species' physiology is minimal and of no real relevance to angler, unless you'd like to get into some Latin and hair splitting.

nathansmith 04-24-2002 04:44 PM

May 25/26 Count me in I think. I should be ready to go by then

Jimmy 04-24-2002 05:52 PM

Thanks

Thanks Mark. That clears things up for me. My Latin is a little rusty. The only thing this old alter boy remembers is how to conjugate the verb "to spit". Spito, Spitari, Hacktui, Splat.:hehe:

Striper 04-24-2002 10:47 PM

I would like to attend Juro please post dates as soon as humanly possible so'z I can make some plans to join you'z guy'z. I can bring the boat but boats and worm hatches don't normally go hand in hand unless we need a boat to reach the hatch. Either way I would be interested in commiserating with the pro's from here. Names to faces and such. Even maybe catch a fish or 2. I will check back often for your updates. Thanks!!!
Tightlines,
Mike