Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Puerto Rico 10 Months In.... (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=29251)

mdbones 10-03-2012 08:26 PM

Puerto Rico 10 Months In....

3 Attachment(s)
Been living in Puerto Rico for ten months now, and to say that the fishing here is not what I expected would be an understatement. If you would have told me a year ago that I would be fishing in Salt only 10% of the time I would have said you were nuts.

When I arrived I thought that Tarpon fishing was primarily a Saltwater game Ė but I was most definitely wrong on this point. While this Island is indeed packed with saltwater Tarpon, virtually every body of water (including drainage ditches) is loaded with Baby Tarpon I live in a neighborhood that has Tarpon in just about every Golf course pond, and as you get to the larger ponds Ė the definition of a Baby Tarpon is up to 60 pounds. Fishing for them is simple Ė up every Saturday and Sunday @ 5 am, jump in the Golf Cart and fish until 7:15 when the first Golfers hit the course, then fall back to the Lagoon and fish till 9. Average morning is usually 4 fish jumped, and 2 landed. I then take a break during the day and head back in the evening to fish until sunset where I can usually land another fish or two. Itís absolutely unbelievable.

As mentioned earlier the Tarpon are not limited just to my area. I have had success in the Golf course and canal at the Ponce Hilton, The Lagoonís in the Reserve by the El Conquistador , and the Humacao area has several Lagoons and Canals that can all be fished by foot - and all have Tarpon. I have read repeatedly where a boat is required to fish the Island Ė but itís simply not true. Virtually Every river, canal, and Lagoon that I have fished has held Tarpon.

The fishing is a mixed bag of casting to rolling Tarpon (low percentage shot), to sight fishing the fish as they work up and down the Hydrilla lines. If you see a dorsal fin and a tail at the same time, and can get a fly in front of them they usually eat. The other option is to work the lee side of the pond or lagoon and look for wakes Ė the two latter options are high percentage shots.

As far as Saltwater - I have fished several times but to be honest itís somewhat disappointing . This is not due to the fact that itís unproductive - as it most definitely is not . To date I have fished Pargera, Boqueron Bay, and the San Juan Area but for the most part itís a deeper water game. The guides I have been with have generally looked for birds, and/or surface activity, and then positioned the boat to allow you to blind cast into the general area. Usually once you get to the boil you will hook into either a Jack, Albie, or Tarpon. Itís very productive Ė but I still prefer seeing the fish and watching it tear into the fly.

Bottom line itís good enough that I still have not been tempted to head over to Anegada, Culebra, or Vieques to take a shot at my first love Ė Bonefish. If your in Puerto Rico Ė and have a desire to fish for land based tarpon feel free to reach out Ė Itís always nice to hang with other Gringoís!

MD

juro 10-04-2012 07:18 AM

Awesome! I miss my trips to PR for tarpon and bones. You're doing it right man, exploring up inside.

I fished La Paraguera and Boqueron Bay and the lagoon at SJ. LP was outstanding when I was there, the action was insane. B/B needed a boat as well as SJ but I did not (yet) explore the countless lagoons as you have, although I really wanted to I jumped over to Culebra.

That is a whole different fishery... I found the bonefishing to be similar to the Keys, rather than copious shoals of 2-3# fish there are less dense packs often containing some really big bones.

Also some giant permit as well as oceanic tarpon, jacks, etc.

Vince 10-08-2012 05:27 PM

Sounds awesome! I may have to get there one day. Tarpon are always fun!

Eric 10-08-2012 10:59 PM

Great post! You have me drooling

bagodonuts 05-21-2013 10:57 PM

tarpon near san juan?

i will be traveling to san juan late july and would like to encounter someone to point my in a good direction for inland tarpon.

juro 05-22-2013 09:05 AM

You can also try a private message to mdbones. I know I would :)

virginfly 05-23-2013 01:53 PM

STX Bones

Loved reading your post on PR tarpon/saltwater fishing. If you care to try St. Croix, your neighbor to the east, I have a place here you could use as a base. Caught 8 bones last Friday...all sightcasting. This time of year can be very good IF the weather cooperates.

mdbones 07-07-2013 07:46 PM

Sorry for the late reply

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagodonuts (Post 201089)
i will be traveling to san juan late july and would like to encounter someone to point my in a good direction for inland tarpon.

Feel free to PM me - I am around for the rest of the summer - open To host early am during the weekends - good water since its been raining nonstop the last 4 weeks - they slow down a bit this time of year but still worth the trip.

Mike