Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   >> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Dyeing hackle (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=28814)

Greg Pavlov 06-26-2011 11:31 PM

Dyeing hackle
 
Wellll, it's a bit difficult to get hackle these days, as I'm sure most of you know. I wanted to get several specific colors in grizzly, but no dice, they are not to be found, but I do have a full cape of natural grizzly. So why not dye some of it? Has anyone ever done that? And if so, what dye did you use and what should I be looking out for? Thanks for any ideas, insights, etc!

Greg.

JonC 06-27-2011 06:03 PM

Not something you can casually dabble in, especially for small lots, proper dying requires a lot of experimentation to get results that are predictable.
jon

JimD 06-27-2011 06:22 PM

Hey Jim Miller,

Weight in on this one.

Jim Miller 06-27-2011 07:34 PM

Hey Gregg
There are two basic types of dye. ACID and cool-aid. Acid will give you bright saturated color. Cool-aid is more pastel. Cool-aid is much easier.

For cool aid dye. Start with white feathers. First wash cape in warm soapy water...rise well. Heat coolaid in water solution. Turn off heat and insert cape. Let set a while. Color will vary with strength of cool-aid solution and amount of time cape is left in pot. Set color with a mild vinegar solution. Rinse well and allow to dry. Raspberry, lime and blueberry work well.

If it doen't work well...drink the cool-aid! :hihi:
We chatted a lot on another flytying forum. (SOL) Do a search and it should come up.

Juro ...I hope it is OK to give Gregg this hint?

millerbrown 06-27-2011 07:58 PM

I have used RIT dyes for years. Very basic and very easy. I've dyed grizzly with brown dye to use only one hackle for the Adams and I've dyed grizzly a great blue and green for streamers.

Take a grizzly cape and cut it length wise into three pieces. Dye each a different color. I have a small patch of grizzly that I dyed claret. Nice ISO color!!

Millerbrown

Greg Pavlov 06-28-2011 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Miller
Hey Gregg
There are two basic types of dye. ACID and cool-aid. Acid will give you bright saturated color. Cool-aid is more pastel. Cool-aid is much easier.
.........
We chatted a lot on another flytying forum. (SOL) Do a search and it should come up.

Juro ...I hope it is OK to give Gregg this hint?

Phew, acid, kool-aid, other forums....what did I get into???

Thanks, Jim, I'll try it.

Greg Pavlov 06-28-2011 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millerbrown
I have used RIT dyes for years. Very basic and very easy. I've dyed grizzly with brown dye to use only one hackle for the Adams and I've dyed grizzly a great blue and green for streamers.

Take a grizzly cape and cut it length wise into three pieces. Dye each a different color. I have a small patch of grizzly that I dyed claret. Nice ISO color!!

Millerbrown

Thanks, it's a grayish blue that I'm after.

Meanwhile, if anyone has enough stock to last a few lifetimes (aktualy, anyone here who doesn't??): check the eBay prices for feathers; you may be tempted to go into business while the fad is hot.

juro 06-28-2011 08:34 AM

Just don't drink the purple kool-aid :lildevl:

Adrian 06-30-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Pavlov
Thanks, it's a grayish blue that I'm after.

Meanwhile, if anyone has enough stock to last a few lifetimes (aktualy, anyone here who doesn't??): check the eBay prices for feathers; you may be tempted to go into business while the fad is hot.

I have a whole bunch of Kenney Abrames flatwing saddles - could this be my retirement solution ?

saltfly 06-30-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian
I have a whole bunch of Kenney Abrames flatwing saddles - could this be my retirement solution ?

I'm in the same situation.Bought a pile of Kens RLS capes years ago and really don't want to let them go:tsk_tsk: BUT cash is king:smokin: .Now it's the stylist that will pay the most:whoa: .West Coast seems the craziest.

JonC 07-01-2011 07:15 AM

Abrames capes are essentially irreplaceable which makes their intrinsic value higher than their monetary value. I'm culling out the the capes that I don't like/use that are like new and putting them on eBay, taking stuff that's basically worthless to me, and turning it into cash that I can spend on good stuff. :-) When have we ever had a chance to get rid of our junk for a profit, it's going to buy me a CTS blank if I just get the minimum.
Jon

JonC 07-09-2011 12:28 PM

Ten saddle patches that I will never miss, max individual cost $30.00, sold on eBay for a total of $1280.00, I'm flabbergasted to say the least! Now I can buy some more stuff.:-)
Jon


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 PM.


Copyright Flyfishingforum.com (All Rights Reserved)