Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Stripers and Coastal Gamefish (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   New Break on Monomoy (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=28668)

juro 04-21-2011 08:56 AM

New Break on Monomoy

Rumor has it that there is a new break at Powder Hole on Monomoy... I have feelers out and will update this thread shortly.

hnl 04-21-2011 09:00 AM

What does that mean for the drop-off spot for the Rip-Ryder??
If anything.
Herb

juro 04-21-2011 09:09 AM

Double the fun :) Waiting on details.

FredA 04-21-2011 09:31 AM

Just had to take a look at google earth. If there is a break it must be at the thin spine just to the north of powder hole.

FYI Cape satalite images on google earth have been updated recently. I got all hot and bothered when I looked at my home waters.

boatdrinks 04-21-2011 10:29 AM

Holy crap! that could be great news!!

boatdrinks 04-21-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredA
Just had to take a look at google earth. If there is a break it must be at the thin spine just to the north of powder hole.

FYI Cape satalite images on google earth have been updated recently. I got all hot and bothered when I looked at my home waters.

Yeah that makes sense as the powder hole is in one of the thickest parts of the island. unless it is a break connecting the powder hole to the sound???

jimS 04-21-2011 12:16 PM

Fred, if you look at the third aerial you posted, dated 24 Feb., you'll notice the wasp-waist land bridge. If that is where the break occurred, it isn't that far from the old Southway. We fished the structure on the sound side a few years ago, and can't wait to get back, if in fact a break occurred, and it stays open.

JonC 04-21-2011 03:53 PM

The GE imagery change is something Ive been waiting for, I don't know what the dates of the last set were, but they were pretty old. The changes on the Bay side are quite dramatic as are Monomoy and Nauset Marsh, I wish I could go back and look at the old pics now and compare them with the new ones, just to be able to see trends, anyway got to be thankful for what we've got.
Jon

FredA 04-21-2011 05:21 PM

That most recent set today is from may 21 2010. So it's what we saw last year and a bit of a cold shower for me:Eyecrazy: . The previous set was 2008 I believe.
Depending on the version of GE you have there is an imagery history function you can turn on under tools or views up on the menu.

Guernseybass 04-22-2011 06:11 AM

Where is the powder hole ? North or south of the old southway ?

juro 04-22-2011 07:08 AM

The new break is somewhere in the vicinity of the drop off point on South Monomoy, which is right where the "bulb" of the island gets narrow north of the tip.

Because of the southward shift of sand in this area, it will either close up when then spit travels south or the current will command the situation and things will really change - a Middle Monomoy Island will be formed.

It is several miles south of the old Southway unfortunately.

Penguin 04-22-2011 07:14 AM

Close... but NO cigar!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomoy_Island

If the link passes muster, Powder Hole is way down on the SW corner of Monomoy on the west side about 3/4 mile from the tip... [near to where we get dropped off during Rip Trips]...
Any beneficial breaks need to establish an aggressive flow into and out of the area that served us so well back in the day, prior to the South Way demise...
Soonerorlater...
but...
that being said...
The SEAL problem persists!
As long as they patrol the beaches, the Stripes will continue to favour the deeper outside shoals...

juro 04-22-2011 08:26 AM

Good point Penguin -

But this also makes me wonder if shallow/hospitable flats also rate high on the seal tolerance meter as well as offshore shoals.

Case in point - there were always plenty of seals at Monomoy from the Southway all the way up to the J bouy and a few beyond but the area was thick with bass.

Sure they would get harassed and I've seen the fish get herded into huddled masses sometimes and slaughtered but overall it did not seem to deter the fish at all from doing their thing on the shallows.

The most dangerous type of habitat for stripers with seals present seems to be the surfline where more than 90% of fish eating sightings I've made have been.

In retrospect, I have seen very few seals actually getting seals (unless hooked by an angler) on the flats over many years.

In addition, I have seen swarms of fish on the flats while seals were present, but not when the water conditions were bad.

My guess is that shallow hospitable flats with food and good oxygen / temperatures are comparably good for stripers despite the presence of seals because seals will not have much success catching them without a bank to press them against.

juro 04-22-2011 08:52 AM

Here's a picture taken by Kate Iaquinto, Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._7472536_n.jpg
Credit: FWS/Kate Iaquinto

Guernseybass 04-22-2011 09:04 AM

Interesting stuff. What are we looking at there in the pic ?

If the current takes command like on north beach I guess that break would extend north some way, rather than south ?

Could be good news for the boaters out of stage harbor , and possibly the town no ?