Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Stripers and Coastal Gamefish (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Rips Charter (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=28482)

boatdrinks 01-05-2011 10:10 AM

Rips Charter

Hey,

I think I'm going to take a charter in mid June to fish the rips. I like to do a charter every season or so to the exact same spots I fish my boat just to see what other guys are doing in the same areas.

Anyway I'm thinking about RJ Silvester who runs a Parker 25'. He keeps his boat at the same marina as me and really looks like he runs a good operation. Has anyone fished with him before? Or does anyone have any other reccommendations for guides? I'm looking for someone who fly fishes the rips. I was thinking of a couple of other guys but I like RJ's boat because I'll probably have three other guys with me.

striblue 01-05-2011 10:08 PM

Tony Biski , Mike Andolini or Dave Steed out of Orvis do fly fish trips exclusively and do the Rips . Ken Haliday is a Tuna guy but will take fly guys to the Rips as well. To name a few

Redfisher 01-06-2011 06:34 AM

Boatdrinks

In addition to the guides John mentioned you should check out Dave Rudduck. He and Tony Biski are two of the best flyfishing guides working the Rips. Dave also works out of Fishing the Cape. I'm docked next to Dave and fish the same area as he does and I can tell you from personal observation that Dave is really good at catching fish on the fly.

Chris at Fishing the Cape can give you info on Dave Ruddock as well as, Mike and Tony or you can check Dave Ruddock's website <edited>

Dave Steeves now works at Fishing the Cape and as far as I know, is no longer guiding.

Dan

P.S. What make boat are you running. I fish the rips all the time and I'm just curious if I've seen you down there. I run a 20' Jones Brothers.

striblue 01-06-2011 07:29 AM

Yes...sorry... forgot to mention Rudduck as well... and he and Chris now run the Flyfishing School and Chris took over after I left.

boatdrinks 01-06-2011 07:55 AM

Thanks guys. I've met both Biski and Ruddock and they seem like really good guys. I'm just concerned their boats are too small to comfortably have 4 guys on board. I know only 1 or 2 would fish at a time but it could be crowded on a 20' Jones or a 21' Parker. I was thinking of giving Chris a call soon but wanted to hear what you guys had to say. I didn't know they were moving the shop, where in Dennisport are they going? That's too bad, I like having an excuse to buy fly stuff whenever I hit the grocery store.

Redfisher: I run a 26' Seaswirl Striper (the name sold me). I love those Jones Bros though. Beautiful lines. I came really close to buying the 23' or 26' that Alan had in his yard before I got this.

petevicar 01-06-2011 08:10 AM

I have fished with Tony Biski, Mike Andolini and Dave Ruddock. They are all OK guys.
Toni believes he is the best guide in the world. I found Mike a little old and grumpy. Dave is OK if you like hearing Beatles music a day long.
You should try Art Sawayer who is a top guide and also gives forum members a good discount.

juro 01-06-2011 08:16 AM

Here's a spot Captain Art Sawayer brought us to. Listen to the accent of the star and cover the childrens ears :lildevl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Jtu-f3ZSo

I haven't fished the rips per se with him, but the rips are probably the easiest / least technical of all striper FF scenarios and I am 110% certain our sponsor http://finfuncharters.com would be a great choice.

striblue 01-06-2011 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petevicar
I have fished with Tony Biski, Mike Andolini and Dave Ruddock. They are all OK guys.
Toni believes he is the best guide in the world. I found Mike a little old and grumpy. Dave is OK if you like hearing Beatles music a day long.

OUCH!. Biski is a great guide, period.....Mike maybe old (but so are you and I) and grumpy , but I find him to be a gentleman and he has never been grumpy with me....and I know grumpy;) , Not sure about the Rudduck opinion....Juro, I was answering a question and giving the poster some names...not just one...having said that I would not be offended if you want to delete my posts and the one on the flytying...no problem....I understand... so your call.

And Pete....nice things to say about them...rather petty I feel...what about the fishing? Maybe Mike was grumpy after he met you. Guides are people also, and they do react depending on WHO they are with...so your opinions could be spot on.

petevicar 01-06-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by striblue
OUCH!. Biski is a great guide, period.....Mike maybe old (but so are you and I) and grumpy , but I find him to be a gentleman and he has never been grumpy with me....and I know grumpy;) , Not sure about the Rudduck opinion....

Hey John
They are all gentlemen and have good days on the water with all of them. Dave is probably the most gentlemanly.
Over the years I have fished with lots and lots of different guides and I believe that it is quite an intense relationship on the water and sometimes small things can cause niggles that may spoil a day.

Art however is a great guide and also a lot of fun. I have fished the rips with him.

Pete

PS I love you too.;)

juro 01-06-2011 08:42 AM

Please be aware of sponsorship guidelines thanks. Bottom line = ONLY sponsors should benefit their businesses from the efforts put into building and running this forum. We don't even ask for as much as they charge for one day on the water so I believe it's a reasonable guideline.

Of course we can talk about great guides and experiences etc - but leaving contact information is across the line.

thanks

boatdrinks 01-06-2011 08:52 AM

thanks guys. When do you think the shop will make the move? That's a good location there. I'm planning on being on cape at the end of February so I'd love to check it out.

striblue 01-06-2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petevicar
Hey John
They are all gentlemen and have good days on the water with all of them. Dave is probably the most gentlemanly.
Over the years I have fished with lots and lots of different guides and I believe that it is quite an intense relationship on the water and sometimes small things can cause niggles that may spoil a day.

Art however is a great guide and also a lot of fun. I have fished the rips with him.

Pete

PS I love you too.;)

Why didn't you say that in the first place?!!!!!Instead of making the comments you did....on the internet for all to see. Maybe hurt their business. Fortunatly that is not the sentiment from countless others whom they have gone with and the reason they have been guiding for many years and have alot of repeat business.

I love you too.

striblue 01-06-2011 11:22 AM

One other thing. It is ok to have good or bad opinion of an experience with any guide....but the direct personality comments were not necessary....as I said...your second post was more in line with a thoughtful honest opinion without the absurd petty remarks.... and since when is being old a problem...you should...on this forum appologize to them, despite any personal belief you have. However, I don't expect to see that....surprise me!

petevicar 01-06-2011 11:41 AM

John.

Go forth and procreate.

striblue 01-06-2011 12:18 PM

:chuckle: :chuckle: Expected! The posters questions have been answered and I will lock this now.