Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Beulah Surf Rod Series? (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=28162)

Stan 06-13-2010 10:20 AM

Leader for a Beulah 9/10 Surf Rod?

Can you use the same leader on the 9/10 wt surf rod as you would using a 10 wt 1 handed rod?

Tajue17 06-14-2010 05:15 AM

for leaders my friends use a 15-16# but 12 would work depending on how finicky the fish are and then they over line the rod by 2 so you should be throwing 11# (their favorite is the rio outbound short) with a short head for a shorter back cast,,, but that will throw the enitre line and a 6/0 fly in one haul using that short headed line with almost no effort at all .

JR SPEY 06-14-2010 03:40 PM

Stan, the short answer is yes. I tend to use a leader slightly longer than what I would use with a single-handed rod, but only by a foot or two, and it is by no means a necessity. I just got back from Chatham yesterday, and I tested several lines with my Beulah 11' 9/10 Surf rod. Several people, including James Shaunessey, the owner of Beulah, has suggested I would prefer the 500-550 grain heads over the ones under 500 grains. I did quite a bit of fishing with the now discontinued Airflo 40+ Beach line in the 11/12 version which is 530 grains. I just found that line to overwhelm the rod, and I had a tough time forming tight loops with it. The 9/10 version, which is 425 grains is much nicer to cast. About one in every 15 casts with the 11/12 everything would come together and I'd pop off a huge cast, but even that was only about ten or fifteen feet more than I would consistently get with the 9/10. I also used the prototype of the Beulah 535 grain surf head with a Rio SlickShooter running line and also found that one to overload the rod. Personally, I think something in the 450-475 grain range would be best suited to me. When thinking about this it occurred to me that those who false cast probably would prefer the heavier line. I fish these as a shooting system and simply lay the line down with the head and about a foot of running line outside the rodtip (though I had to use less with the 11/12 lines) and in the direction you intend to cast. I let the head sit there only long enough to get some bite and then throw a backcast and a forward cast. The problem with the heavier (500+ grain) lines is that they were way to difficult to pick up once laid down and that difficulty resulted in wide loops and a backcast too close to the water to suit me. It helped when I started allowing only about a half second of laydown for the line to get traction, but I still preferred the lighter line.

I've heard from many who prefer the Outbound short (or Airflo 40+ Coldwater) for this type of fishing. I've found the longer head of the standard Outbound, or the 40+Beach lines way preferable. The difference between a 30' head and one that's 35' or 37.5' is substantial and unless there is a clearance problem behind you I just find throwing the longer heads with the double-handed rod easier and way more comfortable. For single-handed work I've switched over completely to the 30' Rio Outbound Shorts.

James Shaunessey mentioned to me a month or so ago that the prototypes of the Beulah full line Beach lines should be out shortly. I'll be looking forward to trying those as I wasn't happy using that prototype head. Since I strip line almost to the point where the fly can sometimes end up near the rod tip, I found that connections between the head and the running line rattling though the guides constantly to be a distraction at best and a hindrance at other times, and I had all my connections done right and coated properly. It's much nicer to use an integrated shooting head for that purpose, and I believe others agree which is why the Rio Outbounds are so popular. And even though the Airflo 40+ Beach lines didn't sell well, I personally believe that's because they were ahead of their time. Surf and beach fishing with double-handed rods is growing exponentially each year, and I think those lines would sell better today if they were still on the market. The standard 40+ Coldwater lines do sell quite well.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but this issue is something I dealt with quite seriously during my week on the Cape so everything was very fresh in my mind.

Stan 06-15-2010 10:53 AM

JR SPEY, great post!:cool: That's exactly what I was looking for.

It sounds like you have the same casting style as I have. I don't like to waste any casts just 1 backcast and let it go on the forward cast. I had already bought an intermediate 11/12 Airflo Beach line 2 weeks ago that was on sale. I will try it when I get the rod and if I find the same problem you had I will get the 9/10 version from the same place. I also bought a 12wt Outbound (long head) floater and will see how that works.

I can't wait to use this rod around Montauk Point this year.;) :D