Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   bahamas bonefishing permits (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=27422)

JTWG 03-22-2009 08:04 PM

bahamas bonefishing permits

Hello board, there was a thread a few months ago about a proposal to require a fishing license for DIY bonefishing in the Bahamas. I'm headed down in about 2 months and am planning on fishing with a guide for several days, but had a half day when i arrive and wanted to go out for a little bit on my own.

Is there any update on a license requirement? If no, is the current regulations that i don't need a license or a permit?

belizefishing 03-22-2009 09:28 PM

Hey JTWG,

Not sure about Bonefishing - I know in the Bahamas you are allowed to fish from a dock or beach. However, their are limits and restrictions on fishing if it's being done from a boat. Those tend to be on shellfish, pelagic species, turtles etc.. I would recommend that you just check with a local marine officer once you arrive.

They've just passed a law here in Belize to attempt to force all tourist to take a local guide if they wish to fish. It's pretty steep for punishment. But then again like many things in Belize their just aren't any man power to enforce the law.

Best of luck and enjoy the fishing.

Tight Loops,

Jim "Big D" Harper
Bite Me Belize

nmbrowncom 03-23-2009 05:04 AM

THE LAW IS THE LEAST OF THE PROBLEMS DOING DIY IN THE BAHAMAS. I'D MAKE SURE THAT THE LOCALS ARE OK WITH IT. THAT PERHAPS IS THE REAL LAW.

cc charlie 03-23-2009 08:22 AM

Which isle are you headed to? I fish Acklins for a couple of weeks each year. For the last 4 years its been DIY.. I'm usually alone and I've never had a problem on the contrary I've found most folks down there pretty friendly even willing to tell me about spots I might try.

CC Charlie

cc charlie 03-23-2009 08:22 AM

Which isle are you headed to? I fish Acklins for a couple of weeks each year. For the last 4 years its been DIY.. I'm usually alone and I've never had a problem on the contrary I've found most folks down there pretty friendly even willing to tell me about spots I might try.

CC Charlie

JTWG 03-23-2009 09:13 AM

I'm headed to Grand Bahamas. I would only fish from a beach for about half a day. I'm planning on 3 days guided, I just have a half day when I get there and am anxious to get started!!

juro 03-23-2009 12:04 PM

If it were me I would ask your own guides where you can practice the winter casting arm and catch a few fish from shore before you hire them for three whole days. Get their name(s) and drop them if anyone bothers you.

nmbrowncom 03-23-2009 07:40 PM

i fish grand bahama regularly. i'm headed down on saturday. there is a good place on the east end about 45 minutes to 1 hr out of freeport, just before mcClainn's town which the locals recommend and would not be a hassle.

JTWG 03-23-2009 08:12 PM

NMB,
Are you fishing with Perry? I've got him booked for one day. Please be sure to let me know how you make out.

By the way, do you guys use weed guards on your bonefish flies? i'm wondering is i need a few gotchas with them on there.

JT

nmbrowncom 03-24-2009 03:54 PM

yes, i'm booked with perry. been fishing with him 5 years now. just tell him to where you can fish diy. no weed guards needed. use perry's flies.
neal

yes, i'm booked with perry. been fishing with him 5 years now. just tell him to where you can fish diy. no weed guards needed. use perry's flies.
neal

yes, i'm booked with perry. been fishing with him 5 years now. just ask him where you can fish diy. no weed guards needed. use perry's flies.
neal

yes, i'm booked with perry. been fishing with him 5 years now. just ask him to where you can fish diy. no weed guards needed. use perry's flies.
neal

Dave17 03-25-2009 01:44 PM

Neal you're a master with technology... the extra posts crack me up:lildevl: .

Just got back from DIY on Grand. No license needed, no hassles, very easy trip and lots of fish. Get out of Freeport and head east to avoid any confrontations. I'll post pics shortly. PM me for a great little half day spot. I landed at noon and by 1:30 was hooked up.

nmbrowncom 03-25-2009 06:59 PM

i just wanted to make sure that jtwg got the point