Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Grand Bahamas (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=27144)

JTWG 09-29-2008 08:38 PM

Grand Bahamas

Has anyone ever fished with Tommy Rolle on Grand Bahamas? i have heard good things, but wanted to see if any of you experts had any thoughts. Am starting to put together my 2009 trip and was looking to fish GB.

Also, does anyone have experience fishing the west end?

Thanks as always!

JT

mdbones 10-05-2008 08:00 PM

I have fished Tommy six or seven different times - solid guide, good eyes, and boat handling skills. He also has a great sense of humor and does not mind mixing it up with you especially if you blow a shot (I consider this a plus). He even met me and the family one year and we both fished a southsideflat e my girls played with his daughter.

The only potential negative would be that his homewaters" are on the West End which feature a dark turtle grass bottom on the Northside and a rocky dark bottom on the Southside. This is a stark contrast to some of the sandy bottoms and mixed sand bottoms found on the east end of the Island out of MacCleans Town. Does not mean the fishing is any worse - fish are just tougher to see - I have caught some big fish on that end as well as had multiple shots at permit.

As you can probably guess I prefer the east end - but always schedule a day with Tommy on the West End, and Sam Taylor out of Freeport just to break things up.

nmbrowncom 10-06-2008 05:34 AM

i fish gb regularly, but i only know rolles by reputation, and it's good. like md, i fish the east side out of mcclain's town. i fished the north side once with sam taylor. we were scheduled to fish with him for 7 days but got rid of him after 3. a nice guy who moonlights as a guide ( he's a security guard full time) and lots of laughs, but clueless.

the east side is considered the best place to fish on gb. lots of flats and BIG fish-probably the biggest bones in the bahamas. the guides there are also some of the best you'll find anywhere. most have gone through a rigorous and lengthy training program with north point riding club before venturing out on their own, and their training really shows. consistently very good guides. i always try to book perry demeritte. i think he's the best one, highly professional and highly regarded by other guides. the local hotels book him (and some others) for their clients.

the only draw back with the east side is transportation. while you can rent a cottage in the area, it is remote. we stay in freeport which is real nice with plenty to do and very reasonably priced, but a good hour from mcclains town, although the guides will pick you up and bring you back at no extra charge.

JTWG 10-07-2008 09:46 PM

Thanks guys. Sounds like the thing to do would be to book a day or two with Tommy and then book a day on the East End.

By chance, have any of you fished with Bernard Bevans on the East End. :cool:

mdbones 10-08-2008 04:58 PM

Yep fished him once, hes decent , but if Perry Demeritte is availible I would book him

nmbrowncom 10-13-2008 06:05 PM

ditto on bernard. fished him twice good guide-sees fish like no other. but constantly distracted with phone calls and errands while fishing. not in the same class as demeritte.

JTWG 11-24-2008 08:51 PM

Guys, i am trying to book captain perry. one question, i know he will pick you up in Freeport even though he fishes out of McLeans Town. But that is a ton of driving for him after hopefully poling my butt around all day in a skiff. Realistically, would i get more fishing time if i rented a car and drove and met him there?

My plan is to fish three days guided. The day i get there, i have a half day so i'm planning on a little DIY fishing just to enjoy the day. The next three days would be guided before heading home.

I say this because i would already have a car. it seems to me i could fish more if i offered to drive out there.

nmbrowncom 11-25-2008 06:29 AM

no problem driving out on your own, although perry always picks us up early. we are on the water by 8:00 am and off at 4:00. often the various guides will "car pool" as they all will have clients that have to be picked up in freeport, thus making it easier for the guide. however whe i go there are 4 of us so perry almost always does the pick ups and returns, but if you're alone or with one other person, the person picking you up and dropping you off will likely change each day. that said they are always quite prompt.

when it's the 4 of us we often stay out to 5 or 6 if the bite is on or the tides are right. of course we pay extra but perry is amenable. i think he would be particularly so if he did not have to pick you up and bring you back. keep in mind though that the sun is low on the horizon in the early morning and late afternoon thus making seeing the fish more difficult.

if you do book with perry, please let him know that you got your recommendation from neal from boston on the flyfishing forum. it's good for the forum and good for you.
best of luck
neal