Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Los Roques, tips? tricks? info? (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=26971)

arubaman 07-13-2008 11:49 AM

Los Roques, tips? tricks? info?

Hi all,
if everything goes the way I planned it hopefully I will be going back home for christmas and new year this year (got 4 weeks of!). Finally beeing home with my parents around the holidays, haven't been there for the past two years, christmas even much longer ago.
Anyways, let's cut to the cheese.
My parents want to do something special when we are there and as they do a lot of voluntary work with seaturtle conservation Los Roques is a place they really want to visit. So I will go there with the folks!
An excellent chance of fishing down there ofcourse, but most info I can get are all expensive fly-fishing lodges and guides. My budget is not that big so i will do most things my self and am looking for info on DIY in Los Roques.
Is it true you need a fishing license there?
And are most good sites not reachable from the main island (what is the main island?).
So guys, this is an open invitation to put down some of your experiences.... Hope to read some stuff.
Thanks, Sander

petevicar 07-14-2008 09:46 AM

Hi Sander

There are a number of posts re Los Roques. Just search for them. After you have done that and still need more info let me know.

Pete

arubaman 07-15-2008 10:37 AM

hmmmm,
done that even before I posted.
But let's try to be more specific then.
1. Do I need a license to fish (for bones) in Los Roques? In Aruba we don't, in the Netherlands you do. And if so, where to buy it?
2. Is it possible to fish on pancake flats without an expensive guide? For example do they have boat rentals or are there persons who can transfer you to such a nice isolated place and then pick you up later?
3. are there limitations on the acces of some of the islands. In front of the Aruban coast some small cays are prohibitted to go to, this because of wildlife protection.
But true, I will try to figure out and post more specific every once and a while.

kyhnau 07-28-2008 05:31 AM

A few tips

Hi Sander...
I went there in March 2007.
Im very bad at remembering details, but let me see what I can dig out :cool:

1)
Yes you do...
As far as I remember, you do also need to pay a "National Park entrance fee". Im pretty sure will be notified about the latter upon arrival to Los Roques.
The fishing license can be bought in a small cabin at the other side of "town". Actually I think you need to pick up the license from there, but need to go back to the airport and pay for it (thats a good way to keep stupid flyfishers entertained :hihi: ). Once you have found a Posada to stay in, ask them and they will point you in right direction (its like a 5-10 min walk from the town square)

2)
We tried to do the same, but with no luck. Im not sure wether its actually "restricted area", but the guides/captains will probably assure you that it is. Nevertheless its worth the cost - at least for one day. We were on a tight budget as well and managed to arrange a guide for 300 USD/full day. If you find someone to split with, its not that bad.

3)
There are pohibited areas. The taxi boat captains know where you can go. I doubt they will drop you of somewhere illegal.

Btw, fishing around the main island (Gran Roque) can be quite fun. There are a few flats around the island, but they are hard pressured (or at least was back then). Instead, throw any fish-like fly into deeper water near a diving pelican and expect action :tongue:

-Lars

bone 10-23-2008 09:37 AM

Los Roques

Hi Arubaman,

surely the best way is to hire a guide or a local fisherman with a boat. But we also caught lots of bonefish in the harbour (morning or evening) on baitfish imitations.

You can also take a watertaxi and try one of the islands.

Tl,

bone

PS: I'll be on Aruba again this season (18.12.-04.01.). Maybe we have a chance to meet this time...

balticflyfisher 10-27-2008 10:20 AM

Luhe???

Hi Bone - Luhe!!! Sea Trout!!! Hey I live 5 mins from the Este and 20 mins from the Seeve!!

stuart

bone 10-29-2008 06:21 AM

Luhe!

Hi, balticflyfisher,

the flyfishingworld is small..

I've sent am pm.
Tl,

bone

arubaman 10-31-2008 06:46 PM

Hey Bone,
I will be leaving the netherlands 19th of december and returning on the 10th of january. Sent me a pm in advance (like when you read this) and we'll have a date!