Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Stripers and Coastal Gamefish (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   One ceremony closer, let the games begin (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=26725)

Rip Ryder 04-13-2008 10:52 PM

One ceremony closer, let the games begin

HERRING IN the Harwich run this weekend. While on patrol over the weekend, I checked the runs for illegal take, and found a good number of herring already in the run. The Comrants were having a feast yesterday taking advantage of the low tide in Herring River leading in to Bell's Neck conservation area.

I may just have to make a trip to the jetties of Red River Beach later this week, to see if any of the hold overs are out and about yet.

Capt Keith

jimS 04-14-2008 07:09 AM

Technically it is spring. River herring are having a tough time, midwater trawlers, illegal netting for bait, and now cormorants. Like grey seals, it appears the numbers have exploded on the cape. That appears to be both good and bad news. Good news is the bait is there, but the downside is that they compete for the same forage as our striped friends.

flydoc 04-14-2008 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimS
River herring are having a tough time, midwater trawlers, illegal netting for bait, and now cormorants.

Not to mention all those Norwegians running around asking "ware ta go too getta da luta fiska?":hihi:
Flydoc

vtloon 04-14-2008 07:56 PM

Cormorants got so bad on Lake Champlain that their guano totally defoliated some of their island rookeries and they seriously hurt the smelt forage base. ANR finally ran a program to oil-coat their eggs. The question is will they keep on top of it...they didn't with the Lamprey.

flydoc 04-15-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flydoc
Not to mention all those Norwegians running around asking "ware ta go too getta da luta fiska?":hihi:
Flydoc

Oops....blew this one....just discovered they DON'T use herring for lutefisk. My humblest apologies to those of Scandanavian background.
Flydoc
P.S. For those of you as ignorant as I was when I made the original post- they use "whitefish"- cod, ling, whiting, haddock, pollock, etc.
P.P.S.- shoot the cormorants....just say you thought they were mergansers, and were counting them towards your daily bag limit;)

Guernseybass 04-15-2008 10:09 PM

the dutch use Herring for Rollmop though Jim ;)

with horseradish mayo very nice it is too.

flydoc 04-15-2008 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guernseybass
with horseradish mayo very nice it is too.

Mmmmm....wonder how that would taste with smoked bluefish:smokin:
Flydoc

petevicar 04-16-2008 07:11 AM

I think the Norwegians call Herring Sil.

The ones in tomato sauce are great for breakfast.

FredA 04-16-2008 12:51 PM

Swede's too. We always have sil at xmas time and other times. One of the xmas smells of my youth was the wonderful, odifforous (the oder deserves its own descriptive word so I made one up) smell of lutafisk courtousy of my first generation relatives.

Adrian 04-16-2008 12:54 PM

That's a different type of herring though - I don't think we have river herring in Europe, certianly never recall them in the UK. Maybe we did once upon a time?

Roll mops etc. use Sea Herring (I think).

Whicheverway - I like 'em too.