Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Stripers and Coastal Gamefish (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Brewster Flats Hot (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=2628)

Nathan Smith 06-03-2000 10:07 PM

Brewster Flats Hot

Brewster was very hot the last part of the out going and first of the incoming. Caught 20+ fish Friday and Saturday. Big fish too. No keepers my largest was 28" and had 3 27". I went out on the outer sand bar from Paine's Creek rd. It was cool today the two sand bars formed a 1/4 mile river. With a little fog I thought I was steelhead fishing in a big river in Washington. Sorry I didn't post this earlier, I just go to my computer tonight.

JohnM 06-04-2000 06:25 PM

RE:Brewster Flats Hot

Nathan.......

Was in those same flats this morning (Sunday) at 4:30am......... As the tide started to run out fish started to swirl and chase sand eels up into Shallow water. We basically followed the fish out thru all of the channels and at many times, getting a fish on every cast. Every single fish was under 16 inches, though. Even resorted to using a size 4/0 half/half and the little guys still pounded the fly. For their size, they where unbelievably strong with some making it hard to strip them in......... Once the tide was out and the sun was strong, the action really dies down.........We then cruised some of the Falmouth ponds but no luck.......called it a day at 11:00am and was home by noon.........

John

Nathan Smith 06-04-2000 08:49 PM

Work the flats outside of that big whole, I caught almost all of my big fish there.

juro 06-05-2000 06:35 AM

AWESOME! Glad the weekend minus tides paid off! How long did you feel comfortable being out there after the tide change? With nearly two feet minus low tide, there is often extra time but with nearly 12 feet on the flood, there is little margin for error.

I only had a couple of hours to fish over the entire weekend... spent with a friend and executive of a former employer of mine just inside the mouth of Bass River. Landed half a dozen, hooked twice that. All fish were over 24" but none over 30" yesterday. Some fish got on the reel, covered with skittering sealice. We both needed to get home early, in fact the driving time exceeded the fishing time... but it was worth it!

JohnM 06-05-2000 08:29 AM

Nathan:

That makes sense......I struggled with getting access to the other side of the hole until the tide was way down....where you in a boat or are there just some chaennels that are that much shallower than others ??

Thanks
John

juro 06-05-2000 08:51 AM

I think I showed Nate this but to get to the outer spit you must cross further west toward the actual Paine's Creek mouth. Both Quivett and Paine's spits curve semi-circular to the east like the top halves of letter "C"'s although the inside area of Paine's is much more filled in than Quivett and offers a straight-away crossing point from Saint's Landing.

My point is the top of the "C" is cut by the trench at Paine's, and the spit is the end of the curved bar cut by the trench. To cross it, you need to go far enough west so that there is a blanket of purple algae on the flat, "up-river" from the stream of outgoing flow a significant distance from the hole.

Sunday was an exception, you could probably cross very close to the first cove because the low tide was a minus -1.9 on the bay. In general it is not wise to be out on the outer spit unless (a) you have a extreme low and (b) you are willing to commit 100% to departure when the tide stops running out. At that point if you want to fish part of the incoming, it's possible to make the earliest possible crossing back to the bar directly south of the hole and catch the fish arriving on the flood tide. Also work the high bar back straight and southerly to the shoreline as the water comes in. You end up on the beach a ways off from Paine's BUT you will not be drowned.

Whatever you do, don't wander around off the high points of bars that are contiguous to shore. Extreme low tides mean extreme high tides and the tempted become the trapped in a heartbeat.

I've guided my share of wade trips on Brewster Flats and can bear witness to the perils it imposes on the foolhardy. My advice to you is <b>don't fish the incoming at all without a boat.</b>

With a boat, it's the very best time!

juro 06-05-2000 02:09 PM

Although I believe it's good to err on the side of caution, I should amend the previous in the name of accuracy to say that you have anywhere from 20 minutes to over 90 minutes (depending on the rate of flood and degree of minus tide) to fish the incoming <b>IF</b> you are working back to shore on a high bar that does not get isolated by the flood.

A good example of this is the Saint's Landing bar, which (in past years) has been safe to fish as one back peddles directly to shore (directly south). If you started at the Paine's Crk lot, you'll need to walk the shoreline back to that lot. The lot that lays almost directly south of the trench is Saint's landing.

It's harder to get to the outer bar from Saints Landing because you need to walk west to cross early; it's harder to back peddle while you fish from Paine's Crk because there is no good fishing on the way back and the longer walk requires that you get out of there in time to make it back to solid ground.

If you really want to fish the outer bar, best of both worlds is to park at Paine's (pick a minus tide) to cross to the outer bar earlier in the ebb; then cross back to the tip of Saint's flat during the slack low, fish it sparingly at the point, then work it back on the flood and get out of there safely by fishing straight backward toward shore on the high part of flat.

You'll then need to hoof it along the beach to the Paine's lot.

As with all my posts, this is provisional and not intended for navigational use http://216.71.206.188/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif