Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What fishing trips are you planning this year? (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=24507)

teflon_jones 12-26-2006 08:46 PM

What fishing trips are you planning next year?

So what significant trips are you planning next year? I've got two lined up already.

1. Grand Lake Stream, Maine May 31-June 3 - It's going to be me and two buddies that went two years ago, plus my father in law will be going for the first time. I can't wait, last time up there I got my first landlocked salmon (~19") and 3 river smallmouth in the 4 lb range on a 4 wt with 7X tippet. :whoa:
I also landed an 18"+ chub that I thought was a brown when I spotted it due to the size. By far the largest I've ever gotten.

2. Housatonic River, CT October - After an awesome 2 day trip this past Oct where I landed my personal best trout (~21-22" brown), I've decided to make it an annual solo fall pilgrimage. I'll just sleep in the back of my car in a sleeping bag and fish for two entire days by myself. It really rested up my overworked brain cells and I caught a bunch of nice fish!

So what's on your calendars?

SALMONCHASER 12-27-2006 10:25 AM

Miramichi in April for black salmon.
Margaree for a week in September or October.
Little Sou'West for a weekend at the end of June(hopefully)
Hopin to get a day or two on the River Philip when the fall run hits!
Salmon Chaser

Dble Haul 12-27-2006 10:52 AM

I have nothing set in stone yet, but I will most likely do the following:

1. Pike trip in early spring to Lake Ontario
2. Cape in June with my dad (60th birthday present)

Those are the only trips that have taken shape so far. We need to remain flexible for an impending trip to China, so anything else will be opportunistic grabs at available times and dates to squeeze what fishing I can into the schedule.

Smolt 12-27-2006 11:24 AM

Planned Trips

1. Miramichi - July 8 through 14 with my two sons (I hope) and friends. This is for sure.

2. Miramichi - Last weekend in September or first weekend in October with friend. This is for sure.

3. Muskegon River in MI - sometime between mow and May 10th. This depends on how my schedule meshes with my MI friend's schedule.

Maybe a couple of days on the Matapedia during first week of July -- a BIG maybe.

Another big maybe is the Catt in New York on the way to or back from the Miramichi in October.

Eric 12-27-2006 01:42 PM

Planned trips:

1. Sanibel at the end of April. From recent reports, I don't expect the fishing to be very good, but, we'll share a cabin with friends and have a good time nevertheless.

2. Kodiak in late September. The way the fishing on the Island has been going downhill, this may be my last trip up there. I love the Island, though, and really look forward to returning, fish or not.

3. Pick-up trips on the Alsea/Siletz for steelhead, starting next week.

4. Trout and Steelhead on the Deschutes.

5. Quarter-pounders on the Rogue in late October (I hope).

Cheers,

Eric

FredA 12-27-2006 05:53 PM

Cruise the end of January. I'll pack an 8 wgt just in case Basser and I can loose the missisus. The places we stop sound like early morning's, earlier than we would get into port, provide the best shot so I don't expect much. And the bow of those boats sit kinda high for flyrodding.

I'm thinking about Acklins but I'm not sure how that will shake out yet.

Quote:

Cape in June with my dad (60th birthday present)
Mark, funny how fishing is an ageless pursuit. I think of you as a contemporary yet my agedometer turns the big 60 just a month later than your dad.

jfasiten 12-28-2006 07:10 AM

I'm headed to the Keys at the end of April for 2 days of Tarpon fishing with my son. First time for both of us and we can't wait.

wrke 12-28-2006 09:58 AM

Acklins, late Feb, early March; Green Turtle Cay, April; Russian Reunion on the Big Delaware, May; Keys for tarpon early June; Gaspé (BV, Petite, GCas) late June; Montana, Idaho mid July-early Aug; N Umpqua mid August; New Brusnwick mid Sept.

Guernseybass 12-28-2006 10:56 AM

until my green card comes through i can't leave the country, so :

1. Housatonic Meadows, CT - for a weekend camping trip in late spring. Scott - you need to invest in a TruckTent :biggrin:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co...516866sn02.jpg

2. The Swift, up at belchertown MA - a couple of weekdays in early summer to find out what all the fuss is about.

3. Yellowstone park WYM - hiring an RV for 10 days in late June/early july to see the park and fish the yellowstone, madison, firehole rivers and slough creek.

4. a long weekend camping on the Cape in September. probably near brewster.

now if i can get away with all that ( i have stage 1 approval from the good lady), I will be a happy man indeed.

Mark.

Adrian 12-29-2006 02:35 PM

Headed to Puerta Vallarta in March.

Not specifically a fishing trip but gear will be taken :lildevl:

teflon_jones 12-30-2006 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guernseybass
until my green card comes through i can't leave the country, so :

1. Housatonic Meadows, CT - for a weekend camping trip in late spring. Scott - you need to invest in a TruckTent :biggrin:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/co...516866sn02.jpg

Mark, while that looks cool, I enjoy the simplicity of just bringing a sleeping bag and a pillow and curling up in the back of my Xterra for the night. When it's time to go fishing in the morning all I have to do is throw my fishing gear back on and I don't have to worry about packing up camp. Of course there's also the fact that I don't have a bed on my truck so that tent contraption wouldn't really work... ;)

jhicks 01-01-2007 05:50 PM

Olympic peninsula Next month for winter steel.

Matapedia in June for Atlantics

Thompson in October for Steel

Oh and a whole lot of one day trips throughout the year.

juro 01-01-2007 09:31 PM

Tropics
- Acklins
- possibly a Puerto Rico tarpon "fling" weekend at any given moment

Steelhead
- Washington State spring steelhead

Stripers
- Cape on weekends throughout the season

Atlantics
- Gaspe' Quebec

Fall steelhead
- Oregon and Washington's famed rivers

Other possibilities
- Rooster clave?
- Florida Keys long weekend?
- Skeena year?

October Caddis 01-04-2007 01:43 PM

Maybe we will run into some of you this year in strange but beautiful places to fish. We have a light fishing schedule until end of June but should get a few days in on Cape.

Then in July we will fish our way up to the Queen Charlotte Islands through the inside passage of BC.

In August, Salmon on the outside of Vancouver Island, Sea Runs and bottom fish.

September, will bring tuna off the west Coast about 200 mile off shore to San Francisco.

October, Stripers again but this time in the bay area.

Mexico for November, Sea of Cortez will be fished hard but will move to a little warmer water as the Sea of Cortez is not very warm that time of year. Centeral and South Mexico will complete the month and better chances for Roosters.

December and January will be interesting fishing the west coast of Guatemala, El Salvador and into Nicaragua. Really looking forward to both inshore and outside fishing in this strange part of the world.

February, it will be Costa Rica but I'll surf more than fish as by then my right arm will be sore.

Most of March it will be Bluewater for the first 26 days or so, plenty of Mahi, Tuna and maybe a Marlin or two. Hope to get some reef fishing in at end of month in the Marquesas for big Trevally but if not April will do.

May, if all goes well the isolated atolls of the Tuamotu's chain where Bone fish are in great numbers and rarely fished. All fifty atolls or so have flats for miles and miles.

In June I might fish some secret Mangrove places I remember on the back side of Tahitti I fished some 30 years ago.

July the Northern Cooks look very promising for Bones and Trevally on outside reefs.

August and September will see what is up with both Samoas, Tonga and Fiji. I guess fly fishing is good but so is surfing and cold mixed drinks.

My fishing will end for the year 2007 in New Zeland and will be looking to fish fresh water for trout again. It will be a much needed change from the constant sun glare of Bluewater, outside reefs and Bone Fish Flats.

If you had the will to read through this list of boring places to fish you did well I'm already tired and I have not cast a fly yet. If any of you have fished any of these destinations let me know It would be great to gather a little insider info.

Happy New Year

OC

FredA 01-04-2007 02:29 PM

So Steve, we should expect periodic reports to be filed?

I guess I'll need to finagle a need to check on my NZ project in about a year.