Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Works for me! (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Anchoring in a Yak (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=2319)

JimW 07-02-2001 08:39 PM

Anchoring in a Yak

I've been using the collapsible grapple type anchor for my Kayak. The problem is where to tie the rope to the boat. Solution: Those spring clamps you can get at Home depot work great. I can change the location of the anchor so that the yak can be oriented at different angles. Put the clamp in the front of the cockpit, on the left, right, rear. Works pretty good. Another positive is you can remove the clamp in an instant when some big wake from a 40' cruiser gets thrown up by a very inconsiderate boater... Calming down now. Anyway, Works For Me!

juro 07-22-2001 02:24 PM

Jim -

Do you just clamp the rope against the edge of the cockpit?

DFix 07-23-2001 09:14 AM

I'm gonna make this suggestion for it's value only. I had a "discussion" about this with a friend recently, and suggested a poly cleat available in most marine places and also Wallyworld. He argued about putting holes in the boat and wouldn't do it. If the right size hole is drilled, caulked and backed with support material so the screws/bolts don't further violate the structural integrity of the boat, then there shouldn't be a problem with making two 1/8" or 3/16" holes in a piece or heat molded flexible plastic. Otherwise, a process is available that alows synthetic materials (plastics)to be welded - actually welded - together - which would allow a poly cleat to be welded to the surface of the boat. AND, short of tying an anchor line to the tether inside my yak, where I tether my extra paddle, etc., I have no other suggestions.

Any further ideas?

striblue 07-23-2001 07:00 PM

I also clamp it to the side of the cockpit and the rope runs though the carrying attatchment at the bow of the yak... Tie a knot at the end of the rope incase it slips out of the cleat and can retrieve the anchor rope with my paddle.

DFix 07-24-2001 09:42 AM

Quote:

striblue (07-23-2001 07:00 p.m.):
I also clamp it to the side of the cockpit and the rope runs though the carrying attatchment at the bow of the yak... Tie a knot at the end of the rope incase it slips out of the cleat and can retrieve the anchor rope with my paddle.
Ladedadedah...
Oh, damn, (grunt) :-o
S&!% - now I gotta reach for it
Mmmmmmph - wo, wo, wo, wo...
ARRRGGGGHHHHHH !!!!! :o :o :o :o
SPLASH !!!
;D

(I couldn't resist ;) ) }>

saltRon 07-24-2001 08:53 PM

This Sugestion may turn a few noses but if you go to your friendly DEVCON store you will find compounds that will bond almost anything to anything other than PTFE. The stregnth developed will be equal to the orginal stregnth of the hull with no holes.
My .02
saltRon

JimW 07-24-2001 09:07 PM

Juro, Yes I just put the clamp on the edge of the cockpit and use the handle as a cleat. I usually just wrap the rope in a figure eight without the half hitches and if I need to take it off in a hurry I just unclamp it rope and all.