Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Great beers of the great fishing destinations of the world! (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=22597)

Charlie 03-30-2006 01:42 PM

Great beers of the great fishing destinations of the world!

First, I should explain that I am a beer snob. I love micro brewed beers and high quality imports. None of that massed produced “light crap” for me. And as I was tying up some flies for my next trip to Quebec for Atlantic salmon, I was thinking of some of the great beers I have had up there. Some of the locally brewed micros are fantastic. And it is easy to get some great exports in up there. You can tell the Quebecois love good beer.

Some of my favorites from Quebec are McAuslan, Brasseurs RJ, Boreale, and of course Unibroue with there fantastic Belgian style beers. You can get most of these in any supermarket or even in gas stations up there. And there is this one little pub in the town of Gaspe that serve’s Leffe Brown, probably my favorite Belgian Abbey beer of all time! :p

So what Beer is good where you fish and what are your favorites?

Charlie

BigDave 03-30-2006 01:59 PM

PA trout fishing = ice cold Yuengling.

VT trout = Long Trial (my all-time favorite)

Dble Haul 03-30-2006 02:15 PM

Matilda Bay wine coolers. :tongue:

Ol Rich 03-30-2006 02:21 PM

In Washington, Fat Bastard brewed in Silverdale.

Rich

Smcdermott 03-30-2006 02:24 PM

Offshore Amber Ale, a local Martha's Vineyard brewery. Nice hops flavor with a really clean finish.

Sean

juro 03-30-2006 02:39 PM

Used to be Widmer Heff with a lemon to accompany pacific northwest butter clams steamed before a spring chinook filet alder planked in the Columbia tribs territory but it's gone bigtime lately and not sure if it's quite a micro anymore...

Wachusett right here in central MA has a good selection and definitely still micro status.

When on Cape, the Buzzards Bay gets my nod at the Squire with steamers!

And there's something about that first Kalik after a long tropical bonefishing day on Acklins!

teflon_jones 03-30-2006 03:22 PM

How about some Kalik's in the Bahamas? :)

It's not the greatest beer in the world, but there's something about having the local brew that makes up for it.

BigDave 03-30-2006 03:26 PM

Belize = Beliken

Adrian 03-30-2006 03:57 PM

Yucatan / Cabo = Dos Equis :smokin:

But seriously, when in Balina Co. Mayo after a hard day on Lough Conn, a few pints of Smithwicks in the Ridge Pool Bar goes down nice with a shot or two of Jamesons. For the Guiness afficionados, it's a fact that the product sold in the Emerald Isle is far superior to the stuff that gets exported.

In mainland UK we are 'spoiled' since there will generally be a high quality brew with a couple of miles of any point on the compass:smokin: Classics would include any member of the Youngs familly from their Bitter to the seasonal winter warmer. Old speckled hen, Marsdons, London Pride, Theakstons Old Peculier (sp? - to be taken in moderation). The list goes on and on...

BigDave 03-30-2006 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian
In mainland UK we are 'spoiled' since there will generally be a high quality brew with a couple of miles of any point on the compass:smokin: Classics would include any member of the Youngs familly from their Bitter to the seasonal winter warmer. Old speckled hen, Marsdons, London Pride, Theakstons Old Peculier (sp? - to be taken in moderation). The list goes on and on...

Let us not forget such fine brews as Samuel Smith's and the Fuller's line up from the far side of the pond! Other favorites includ the Shepard Neame ales such as Bishop's Finger.

Still....nothing says summer quite like a large Tanqueray and Tonic.

God Bless The Queen.

doogue 03-30-2006 07:56 PM

Smuttynose "Big A" IPA

Last summer I did a lot of fishing right near downtown Portsmouth, NH - the home of the Smuttynose Brewing Company.

I often fished for stripers in the Piscataqua River. On the paddle home from the river I pass a few of my lobster traps. I haul the traps from my meager kayak.

There is nothing finer than steaming lobster up back at home and then washing the lobster down with a 22 oz. bottle of Smuttynose "Big A" IPA.

Do not confuse this beer with the small bottle Smuttynose IPA. I am talking about the 22 oz. bottle with the old school boxer on the label.

Damn good....

Warren 03-30-2006 08:11 PM

I enjoy a Home Brew or a New Castle Brown ale when my fishing day is done...Or any day for that matter:D

flydoc 03-30-2006 08:43 PM

Being a North Shore native, I'm a bit partial to Ipswich Ale- an unfiltered ale in the old colonial tradition. Not for the faint of heart....
As for the "mass brews", my current fave is from north of the border- Molson Ice.
Flydoc

Eric 03-30-2006 09:54 PM

I live in the Northwest and am fortunate to be next to some of the greatest brew pubs in the region. Widmer, McMinamin's, Rogue Ales (anyone ever had a "Brutal Bitter"?), et al., et al., et al.

But

The quintessential beer? Guinness.

-- Cheers, Ein Prosit, and whatever that Gaelic thing is,

-- Eric

doogue 03-30-2006 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric
Rogue Ales (anyone ever had a "Brutal Bitter")

I haven't had a brutal bitter but I am a fan of the Rogue "Dead Guy Ale".

Good stuff...