Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Member Profiles (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   new from Quincy Massachusetts (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=22238)

phlyphish 02-18-2006 02:11 PM

new from Quincy Massachusetts

Hello,

Im new to flyfishing, this site, and how to use the forum???

I look forward to learning the skill...Seth...ka phlyphish

Sandman Caranx 02-18-2006 02:16 PM

well I am new here too and as a reply the last words you typed I can only say: Stywe Lyne !!!

phlyphish 02-18-2006 02:21 PM

nice to meet ya sandman..what do you fish for in SA ?

griz 02-18-2006 05:14 PM

hey phlyphish,

if you are new to fly fishing then maybe go up to the "getting started" forum near the top of the main page. read through it and see what info you can get from it. if you don't find what you are looking for then just ask away. Unlike most other forums i post on... people here are actually friendly and seem to know what they are talking about.

teflon_jones 02-19-2006 09:11 AM

Welcome to the forum! :)

As griz said, your best bet is to post any specific questions in the Getting Started forum.

doogue 02-19-2006 10:38 AM

Welcome Phly!

Phlyphish,

Welcome aboard. You will indeed finds loads of information and help on these forums. There are lots of helpful and courteous fisherfolk on this site.

I grew up in Braintree and I now live in NH. Let me start out here with a couple of questions:

1. Are you more interested in saltwater or freshwater fly fishing (or both)?

2. Are you interested in using the forum to learn about choosing the right gear for the task? Or do you already own a rod and you are just looking for advice on where and how to fish?

Answer questions 1 and 2 above and I can help you out. I just need to know where to focus when I start dishing mediocre advice!

I also fully encourage you to use the search feature of the Forum. If you use the search tab at the top of the page you can learn lots about fishing in your home waters.

Again, welcome aboard!

Mike

OC 02-20-2006 09:05 PM

Welcome aboard to both of you. You can learn a lot here at flytalk on all types of fly fishing.

Sandman Carnax, what do you fish for in S.A. ? There has got to be great salt water fly fishing for open water fish such as tuna to the northern part of your country. What about around Capetown where the water is a lot cooler? Do you have Cuda fishing in that area?

Phlyphish , like doogue, I grew up on the south shore(Weymouth) and started fly fishing back there 40 some odd years ago. I know Quincy bay, Weymouth, and Hingham waters very well so when your ready for stripers on the fly let me know and I'll point you to some good water.

Best of luck to the both of you.

Sandman Caranx 05-06-2006 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OC

Sandman Carnax, what do you fish for in S.A. ? There has got to be great salt water fly fishing for open water fish such as tuna to the northern part of your country. What about around Capetown where the water is a lot cooler? Do you have Cuda fishing in that area?

Well this is such a late reply to your question but I decided to do it anyhow ;)

My main intrest now, is for Kingfish (Caranx family) so I am not giving any attentoin to other species untill I feel I have sorted them (the kingfish) out. I love to fish from the shore. Spiecies that are genaraly flyfished for in the salt (shore based) is like :
Garfish (Strongylura leirus)
Kingfish /Trevally (Caranx)
Garrick (Lichia amia)
Pompano (Trachinotus)
Springer/Tenpounder (Elops machnata)
River snaper/Mangrove Red Snapper (Lutjanus argentimaculatus)
Grunter (Pomadasys Family)
Shad/Elf/Bluefish (Pomatomus saltator)
Kob/Drum (Argyrosomus hololepidotus)
Slender barracuda (Sphyraena jello)

I'f never flyfished off-shore but species that are commanly found are :
Rainbow runner
Queenfish (Scomberoides commersoniades)
Yellowtail/Amberjack (Seriola lalandi)
Dorado (Coryphaena hippurus)
Snoek/Barracouta (Thyrsites atum)
Blue, Black and Striped marlin
Sailfish
Jobfish/Streaker (Aprion viverscens)
Prodigal son /Cobia
Wahoo
Bonito
King Mackrerel
Spanish Mackrerel
Longfin tuna/Albacore
Yellowfin tuna
Great Barracuda

And ys the Cape waters teams with Tuna and Couta is usaly the most common fish taken in the hotter water on the eastan shores and the snoek in the cold western shore water wich are told to me is as easly taken on fly as candy from a baby (I am considering them asap despite my Kingfish feaver)
Well I fish freshwater mainly for Yellowfish (Labeobarbus family) as it is the most accesable to me I don't have a rear intrest in trout as they are not as worth the trouble and the distance needed to traval to catch "wild trout". I am very intrested to take on Tigerfish (Hydrocynus vittatus) as soon as I sorted out my "Kingfish Feat" as it wil be requiring some travaling but is a very sought after freshwater gamefish that are taken easy on fly. other wise we have exotic species like bass and carp which I don't target