Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Benefit Casting Class - Space Available (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=22147)

juro 02-08-2006 08:37 AM

Benefit Casting Class - Space Available

I would like your help while possibly helping yourself, and at the same time helping Hanna, a 15 year old karate student who was chosen to represent USA at the world competition in Osaka next month.

Unfortunately she has lost her father recently and her mom is unable to finance this trip so we are all doing our best to pitch in to get here there.

I would like to ask the members of the Flyfishing Forum to please help us by enrolling in a casting class with me at a discounted rate 100% of the proceeds will be applied to Hanna's cause. Since my hopes of helping via Seahawks bets were beaten by a pack of zebras I need a plan "B" ;)

I am FFF certified in Two-handed / Spey casting and overhead with applications experience in saltwater, and am also an experienced single-hand casting instructor with emphasis on saltwater applications although I can show you a mean curve cast and have thrown thousands of mends on the rivers of the pacific northwest (no stranger to streams).

I will provide all gear unless you have a set-up you prefer to learn with.

The cost will be $150 for a full day class, maximum four students per class.

Illustrated handouts will accompany the class. Video analysis available.

Optional venues:

1) Single-hand overhead casting
a) introductory (get your wife or kids into it)
b) intermediate (strengthen the double haul, tighten the loop)
c) advanced distance and loop control (how to throw a whole line)

2) River Spey casting
a) introductory (getting started)
b) intermediate (expanding the horizon)
c) advanced tweaking (d-loop refinement, special casts, distance, long belly etc)

2) Beach two-handed
a) introduction, applied, distance (one curriculum)

Please consider helping out if you would, and thank you in advance!

Adrian 02-08-2006 09:09 AM

O.K. Juro, you got yourself a student:D

juro 02-08-2006 09:36 AM

Thanks Adrian, I shall do my very best. We can work out the arrangements as things progress.

flydoc 02-08-2006 01:01 PM

This is a steal. Count me in!
Flydoc

juro 02-08-2006 01:06 PM

Thank you! I can't wait to share the news with Hanna.

The cost of getting her and her widowed mother to Osaka are omnious but every bit we can muster will really help.

2HandTheSalt 02-08-2006 06:27 PM

I am in for certain, if it is for spey casting, but only on a Sunday, ( My only day off.) I am pretty sure you could count Josko in for this as well.

jhorton@haydenreels.com

juro 02-08-2006 06:32 PM

Jay,

It will be an honor, thanks.

FrankF 02-08-2006 06:51 PM

Hello Juro:

I am in for a two handed class. I would like to learn to use the Atlantis Surftamer that I recently bought. Preferably beach casting but your river class would be fine also.

Regards,

Frank:) :)

bonefishmon 02-08-2006 08:00 PM

Hannah fund

Can't swing a class so I'll make a donation instead. It will be enclosed with the literature I mentioned. Good on you for doing this for Hannah and her Mom. We'll look forward to her in action. Please wish her luck for me. Any press on this in local news i can share with others? There are people at work involved in Karate so maybe I'll pass the hat and take up a collection as well.

Phil

juro 02-09-2006 06:36 AM

Beach casting is one of my favorite subjects :) Thanks Frank

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankF
Hello Juro:

I am in for a two handed class. I would like to learn to use the Atlantis Surftamer that I recently bought. Preferably beach casting but your river class would be fine also.

Regards,

Frank:) :)

juro 02-09-2006 06:42 AM

Phil -

I'll PM you some information so you can send your donation to her mom. She is getting some press coverage from the Lowell Sun currently and we expect more in the days to come. I will try to find out details today and will pick one up at a newstand for you if it helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonefishmon
Can't swing a class so I'll make a donation instead. It will be enclosed with the literature I mentioned. Good on you for doing this for Hannah and her Mom. We'll look forward to her in action. Please wish her luck for me. Any press on this in local news i can share with others? There are people at work involved in Karate so maybe I'll pass the hat and take up a collection as well.

Phil

Adrian 02-09-2006 08:06 AM

I'll join the two handed squad - Spey would be very cool!

GregD 02-09-2006 09:43 AM

I would also like to join the 2 handed group if there's still room and I can make the date the class will be held on.

Thanks,

Greg.

juro 02-09-2006 01:27 PM

Greg -

Thanks brother, we'll break out the whuppin' sticks for this beach casting session and my 3 CCD DV recorder has frame by frame to really put things into perspective. Some new hints on rod deflection and loop form as well. Timely discussion with the striped friends getting ready to do their marathon up the coastline.

(I assume you are interested in the Beach casting venue vs. Spey casting)

doogue 02-09-2006 05:20 PM

I'm In

Juro,

Depending on timing and location I am in for a beach 2-hander class.

It is only appropriate after my thread regarding the 2-handers last weekend! Try before I buy.

If I cannot attend then I would be happy to donate to the cause nonetheless.

Keep me posted,

Mike