Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   The Quintessential Trout (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Trout fly swap? (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=2160)

John Desjardins 11-06-2001 09:47 AM

Trout fly swap?

Is anyone interested in a trout fly swap?

Hawkeye 11-06-2001 10:20 AM

I would be very interested though I haven't tied trout flies in a loooong time and I was never very good at it. If I keep it simple I shouldn't embarrass myself too bad. :)

Dble Haul 11-06-2001 10:21 AM

Count me in. I'm interested. :-)

Mark

juro 11-06-2001 10:48 AM

Count me in!

How many?
One pattern or various patterns?
Wet, dry or streamer?
Extra fly for the swapmeister (tradition)

John Desjardins 11-06-2001 11:11 AM

Hawkeye, The simplest flies are the best IMHO.

Quote:

juro (11-06-2001 10:48 a.m.):
Count me in!

How many?
One pattern or various patterns?
Wet, dry or streamer?
Extra fly for the swapmeister (tradition)
Since I started the topic I'll volunter as the meister. I was thinking that we could do it like the striper fly swaps and tie six then mix and match. It doesn't matter to me if they are wet's dry's or streamers.

juro 11-06-2001 11:12 AM

You da' meister!

Six various it is, and one for da' meister of course. Let me know if you need photo / scanner help so we can post the recipes and images in the archive.

Dble Haul 11-06-2001 11:21 AM

Please excuse my ignorance, but when you say to tie six flies for mix and match, do you mean to tie six of the same pattern that will be distributed among everyone, or six different patterns?

Sorry for the dumb question.

Mark

John Desjardins 11-06-2001 12:09 PM

Quote:

Dble Haul (11-06-2001 11:21 a.m.):
Please excuse my ignorance, but when you say to tie six flies for mix and match, do you mean to tie six of the same pattern that will be distributed among everyone, or six different patterns?

Sorry for the dumb question.

Mark
How the swap works is that you submit six flies of your choice and receive six back. They can be six of the same pattern or six different patterns, although six of the same pattern is easier to photograph.
I am assuming that we will get more than six people. That being the case, the flies you get back will be a random mix of the flies tied by the other tiers.

I hope this helps clear up the "mix and match " question.

Juro, I should be able to handle the pictures without a problem. I just need to know the file formats, image sizes, etc you would like them in.

Dble Haul 11-06-2001 12:21 PM

Thank you for the clarification. I suppose that I'll tie six of the same pattern, or three each of two patterns. Just say when they're due and where to send 'em to, and I'll start.

Yeah, like I need an excuse to tie flies.

Mark

saltRon 11-06-2001 08:56 PM

Sounds Like a good idea to this guy from the shores of the Pacific and the province of British Columbia.
Will send two of the never fail patterns For our wild and warey Kamloops Trout. I am in for 6.
saltRon

DFix 11-07-2001 12:59 PM

hook size max/min??? wet/dry/streamer ??? (don't know what you guys like)

John Desjardins 11-07-2001 01:28 PM

Quote:

DFix (11-07-2001 12:59 p.m.):
hook size max/min??? wet/dry/streamer ??? (don't know what you guys like)
Dave, to me at least, it doesn't matter what size or type if it catches fish.

How does mid February sound to everyone as a date to get the flys done by? I'll send an e-mail to everyone with my shipping info, etc in a couple of days.

Dble Haul 11-07-2001 01:39 PM

Mid-February sounds fine to me, although my flies will be ready much sooner than that. I have a lot going on, so I'll tie them up sooner than later.

Mark

John Desjardins 12-06-2001 01:29 PM

Boy have I let this go without following up :o . The people signed up for the fly swap are:
Hawkeye
Juro
Dbl Haul
Salt Ron
DFix
and myself

Anyone else out there interested. I'll get the e-mail with info out this evening.

troutbum 12-08-2001 11:05 AM

Count me in too....

I'll tie my secret rainbow fly....DEADLY on brrokies and bows!