Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Getting Started (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   which reel? and fly line??? (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=20951)

gercat32 07-30-2005 04:45 PM

which reel? and fly line???

Hello all,

I have a Sage RPL+ #5 line with a Rocky mountain III reel and I am using a cortland fly line #4 DT.
I am from Barcelona (europe) and I recently moved to Davis (Sacramento). I have been fly-fishing as often as I can here because you have big and nice rivers to fish for trout.
Now, I want to change my reel and my fly line. I do not know much about fly fishing stuff and I would like to get some recommendations for good anglers.
I think for fishing in california I need a # 5 fly line at least because rivers are pretty big, I always used DT but I realize that here a lot of anglers use WF. They taught me to use DT for a better presentation of the fly but I do not really know if that is true. I also want to fish sometimes in creeks. What is the best fly line that you would buy if you have my rod?

I'm also interested in buying a new reel, I love the Battenkill Large Arbor Model 2 or 3 but I do not know if this is the best choice price -quality. What do you recommend?

Thank you very much for your help and I'm sorry for my poor english.

Good fishing,

Gerard

Eddie 07-30-2005 09:11 PM

If you like a double taper, I would stick with it, but as for presentation, there is really no difference in the front tapers. The double taper will be helpful in the case of a big mend or a really long roll cast.
A RIO Grand or a SA GPX (or what ever the new equivelant is) would be a good bet. You have a couple of really good shops in your area. Go to Bill Kiene's and see what the recomend.

Spock 08-01-2005 09:39 AM

what line

You should use a 5wt line on that rod it will load it better, as for what line to use its really up to you. Rio windcutter is a good choice as well as the cortland dyna tip. if you are going to buy an orvis la get the bigger one as it will hold more backing or look into a ross reel as they have a great line-up and there service is first rate

teflon_jones 08-02-2005 11:12 AM

I'm a big fan of DT lines and that's what I use on my 4 wt, which sees the majority of my casts. It's tough to cast bigger flies sometimes as opposed to using a WF line, but I use a full flex rod so I can offset the lack of a heavy head on the line by loading the rod more. For your rod, I'd say get a WF line if you like to fish streamers, bead heads, or other big/heavy flies. If you like fishing dries or other small flies most of the time, I'd go with the DT.

For a reel, I'd get something cheap. I use a $35 LL Bean Streamlight on my $450 Orvis rod because for most freshwater fishing, the reel is nothing but a glorified line holder. Save your money on the reel and get a better line. I've caught some big fish on my 4 wt and I've never needed a better reel.

Eddie 08-03-2005 08:47 AM

"for most freshwater fishing, the reel is nothing but a glorified line holder. "

That is probably the case in Southern MA. :wink:
On rivers like like the lower Sac and Yuba, you will get into fish where a reliable, smooth reel is nice to have. Even if the reel only holds line, I like a strong durable reel that will still turn if it gets dropped. For me, this means a machined reel as cast reels just aren't as tough.