Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   >> Archive: Salmon & Steelhead Flies (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Moonlight (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=20283)

flytyer 04-29-2005 08:35 PM

Moonlight

1 Attachment(s)
We haven't had any dee flies posted for a while, so I thought I'd post one of the more unusual dee flies, the "MOONLIGHT". It just happens to be a very good steelhead fly.

Hook: Alec Jackson Blind Eye Spey Hook #1.5
Tag: Flat silver Tinsel
Tail: G.P. tippet and jungle cock on each side
Rear Body: Flat silver tinsel
Rib: Small oval silver
Veiling: Kingfisher back-to-back, top and bottom
Front Body: Black Floss
Rib: Large oval gold
Hackle: Black spey feather (this one tied with Whiting Spey Saddle Hackle)
Throat: Widgeon (this one tied with guinea)
Wing: Cinnamon turkey (this one tied with the real McCoy) or white turkey
Head: Black thread

Skilly 04-29-2005 09:03 PM

I like that

Hey Flytier

I like that tie !!!
It also might be a good springer fly. Has the same colors as the fly I have been using. Seems black and blue is one of the better springer color combos. Right now I have a house full of grand kids 5 to be exact and they are taking all my time, but when I get some time I will tie a couple of those up and take um for a swim.

Skilly

Muckle Salmon 04-29-2005 09:08 PM

Nice tie bud, Have fished the Moonlight for three years now but have yet to catch a fish on it. Mind you I have not tried it for steeelhead, only salmon so might have been missing out on something. I only have ties with white wing so might try a couple with cinnnamon.
Ramsay

flytyer 04-29-2005 09:25 PM

Ramsay,

I never had any luck with it tied with white wings; however, when I tied it with the cinnamon turkey, it was a winner on steelhead.

Skilly,

I'm not surprised you find blue and black to work well on spring chinook.

Charlie 05-02-2005 08:30 AM

Great looking Fly!

I could have used that one Saturday. The river I fished was very gray and I think that fly would have showed up great. :cool:

Charlie.

chromer 05-02-2005 10:29 AM

NICE! Although the season on the big cascade rivers just closed that fly would have been just the thing this past week. A few nice fish were caught, hope they get up there and do their thing for posterity during the closure

flytyer 05-02-2005 04:05 PM

Charlie,

I know what you mean about "grey river". I use this fly on glacial rivers when they have some of that blue-grey glacial flour coloration or in a run that has been fished hard for days by many people.

Igor 05-02-2005 09:32 PM

flytyer,

Any chance you can post a detail photo of the veiling between the two body segments?

Iggy

flytyer 05-02-2005 10:13 PM

Igor,

This is a scanned image since I don't have a digital camera and focusing on the veiling has to be done digitally. The result is a very poor image quality when it is blown up to try and show the tie-in detail, which renders the result worthless.

The veiling is composed of 2 kingfisher feathers matched and placed dull side to dull side tied vertically back-to-back just like a knife-edge hackle wing. There is a pair tied-in above and another pair tied-in below the hook instead of the more usual horizontal orientation of body veilings. Kingfisher feathers are blue only on the good side of the feather, which is why they need to be tied in back-to-back. This is also why the some of the feather fibers cover the flat silver tinsel rear body section, which also adds to the look of the fly.

However, if you use a dyed substitute Kingfisher feather, you can tie them in horizontally (one on bottom and one on top). Although doing so looks fine, it is different than the back-to-back Kingfisher.