Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   which reel should i get? ross or galvan (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=20034)

wrenchman72076 03-30-2005 07:58 PM

which reel should i get? ross or galvan

i now have the funds to buy a big game reel. the choices that i have narrowed to are tha galvan torque and the ross reels canyon big game. does anyone have any feed back for either reel for me? mostly it will be used for steelhead in the great lakes, redfish in the gulf, and maybe permit and tarpon as well. (if i can talk my wife into letting me go). help

salmo 03-30-2005 10:13 PM

Buy Danielsson LW 6-9 ( formerly sold by Loop ).
This reel is much better that Ross or Galvan or even Abel.
Has super durable, smooth fully sealed drag, similar capacity to Ross BG-4 and cost less: was $585 now directly from factory for $295.

salmo

Spock 03-31-2005 03:42 PM

ross

get the ross it is the best reel for the money you can buy. i use it in the salt and on my two hander

wrenchman72076 03-31-2005 07:55 PM

thank you, i will give ross a better looking at. i have heard equally good things about the galvan torque, though.

salmo 03-31-2005 10:33 PM

Here is review of Loop ( now Danielsson/ the same reel) 8-12 LW reels on spey pages:
http://speypages.com/speypages.htm

LW6-9 is just smaller 3.75"

Salom

Steve_sullivan 04-02-2005 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrenchman72076
i now have the funds to buy a big game reel. the choices that i have narrowed to are tha galvan torque and the ross reels canyon big game. does anyone have any feed back for either reel for me? mostly it will be used for steelhead in the great lakes, redfish in the gulf, and maybe permit and tarpon as well. (if i can talk my wife into letting me go). help

Why buy either when the loop (now danielson) is just as good and %40 -%50 cheaper?

FLGator 04-02-2005 11:38 PM

Danielsson! This is truly the way to go. Top quality sealed drag and performance and durability that equals any reel on the market at any price. You will be totally impressed with this reel, period. Get a hold of Ron Larson and talk with him about the line and backing requirements you have and let him help you with your decision.

Chris

salmo 04-03-2005 09:19 AM

The former loopusa.com page now is a Danielsson webpage and you can find all info you need. I have FW, LW and HD reels with Loop or Daniesson logo.
LW 6-9 has a silghtly bigger capacity then Ross BG-4, cost less and is a much better reel!!!!!.

call Ron at 541-673-9810

Salmo

wrenchman72076 04-11-2005 06:35 PM

i appreciate your info to loop reels, but i like to keep my money local and support my local fly shop. my customers are all local based, therefore i would like to return that favor to them. yes, the owner of the local flyshop is one of my customers.

Eddie 04-11-2005 09:59 PM

Both Ross and Galvan make excellent reels. You really can't lose with either. Which ever catches your fancy.
Do a search on this site for more info on both reels.

Whiskey Dick 04-12-2005 11:39 AM

Ross Big Game Reels

Hi wrenchman72076, i have used the Ross BG for my guide buisness for the past 4 years and they are great reels. I have the BG4 for the 8wt single handers and the BG7 & BG8 for the two handers.They are great reels and have taken all the knocks with no problem. I have also used them on a trip to Belize and they performed flawlessly in the salt, the sealed drag is great. The Ross Warranty is the best with 2 day turn around time but i must admit i have never had to use it.
I have never used a Galvan so i can not comment on them but i think they do look good. Tight lines,brian :)

Eddie 04-12-2005 04:39 PM

the Ross drag is not sealed (kind of looks like it is)

Jumbo 04-12-2005 06:06 PM

buy the best

TIBOR GULFSTREAM

Whiskey Dick 04-15-2005 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie
the Ross drag is not sealed (kind of looks like it is)

Eddie, you are right on, Ross does not say there drag is sealed but it sure looked like it to my old eyes :smile: ,from there web site
Contamination Immunity
"Saltwater reels are exposed to some of the harshest elements known to man. Keeping any fly reel free of salt and debris in surfcasting or flats wading conditions is an impossible task. We took it upon ourselves to design a system that could easily be restored to 100% performance following contamination. By simply removing the frame from the spool and vigorously rinsing the two pieces in water returned the Canyon Big Game to full working condition. "
And that is all i did with them when i was flats fishing :)

Youngpatawan 04-15-2005 09:52 PM

Reels

I would stay away from the ross big game they have been having problems with the drag sytems. I have sent back three of my customers reels including my own which makes four. I don't know to much about the Galvans so I can't give you any inout on those but if you like the Galvan you should really consider checking out J. Ryalls there are definatley a work horse reel.