Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Classic Atlantic Salmon (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The Scottish Dee opened today. (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=19446)

Willie Gunn 02-01-2005 01:56 PM

The Scottish Dee opened today.

1 Attachment(s)
The Tweed system and the Dee opened today.
I am pleased to announce that I caught and returned my first salmon of the season on the 16ft Meiser, good way to christian the rod.

Graham Ritchie who frequents these boards could not catch a springer as he was too busy catching kelts(black salmon) 19 for the day + others lost at his feet. Barely at cast without a tweak.

DaveSadowski 02-01-2005 02:24 PM

Malcolm

Congratulations ! The first of many.

Looking at the fishTweed website it looks like they had a good opening day as well.

I bet the anticipation is rising all over Spey side now.

Gary W 02-01-2005 02:28 PM

Well done Malcom,

I hope it's the first of many for the season.

I've yet to wet a line, but hope to get a day away soon. I've just got a digital camera so if/when I get a fish I'll be posting pictures.

fcch 02-01-2005 07:19 PM

Sounds like a fine day Willie.

We'll still be a few months (5) before opening up on my home waters. :(

juro 02-01-2005 07:43 PM

I'll pour a dram to your success tonight Malcom! Congrats may this be the start of your finest season.

flytyer 02-01-2005 07:49 PM

What a great way to Christen the rod!

wrke 02-01-2005 07:55 PM

Willie
A question: was it the Dee or the Tweed? I have a wonderful friend who lives on the Tweed.
Bill

BTW, congrats.

DaveSadowski 02-02-2005 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrke
Willie
A question: was it the Dee or the Tweed? I have a wonderful friend who lives on the Tweed.
Bill

BTW, congrats.

At a guess I would say Willie was fishing the Dee as the Tweed is at the wrong end of the country for him.

G Ritchie 02-02-2005 02:43 AM

Malcolm was fishing the Dee on the Park beat, I was fishing a couple of miles upstream at Crathes Castle. It was a fine day and a good start to the season. Hopefully this season will be as good or better than last. Hopefully the large numbers of kelts present was an indication of a good spawning season last winter.

TYNE SPEYCASTER 02-02-2005 06:51 AM

Willie Gunn??

Congratulations, an opening day fish is always special.

The fly? Willie Gunn?? doesn't look like it on the pic unless its a local variation??

Yesterday the Tyne opened, perfect day, had a few kelts to Willie Gunns to whet the appetite, haven't heard of any fresh taken yet.

Tweed looking good, there on the 18th Feb.

Salar36 02-02-2005 08:01 AM

Grrr...you guys are lucky. To start a season as soon as January and close it late in fall. We have put our rod on the rack last september (october for some in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia) and won't fish on fresh fish before June (or last couple days of May on the Causapscal). So reading you is just pushing the pressure and anxiety before our first casts.

I guest I will trade my annual Caribbean trip for a Scotland trip in 2006...

salar76 02-02-2005 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salar36

I guest I will trade my annual Caribbean trip for a Scotland trip in 2006...

....and what a wise choice that would be! there are few better places in this world than being on a river bank in scotland.

Salar36 02-02-2005 12:13 PM

Salar76;

And I think I will not have hard time to convince my grilfriend to go...her origin are from Scotland...(McLeod). This is her dream to go...note that she dreams to go everywhere in the world;), but Scotland seems to have a position at the top of the list.

DaveSadowski 02-02-2005 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TYNE SPEYCASTER
Congratulations, an opening day fish is always special.

The fly? Willie Gunn?? doesn't look like it on the pic unless its a local variation??

Yesterday the Tyne opened, perfect day, had a few kelts to Willie Gunns to whet the appetite, haven't heard of any fresh taken yet.

Tweed looking good, there on the 18th Feb.

The Tyne produced four reported fish on opening day. Three to Norman Patterson at Meggs Mill on the Bywell Syndicate water and one came off the Tyneside Anglers Syndicate water below Bywell bridge.

Willie Gunn 02-02-2005 12:56 PM

No it wasn't a Willie Gunn(shock horror) I'm afraid it was a Pot Bellied Pig. And no before anybody asks I will not be changing my name. I may resemble one when wearing neoprene waders, when will someone produce a pair that flatters the fuller figure.

For a pot bellied pig dressing ask Gordon Armstrong fishingdo he is the expert.