Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   runing line for lc-13 (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=1937)

jeffg 11-07-2001 03:33 PM

runing line for lc-13

Can anyone recommend a better runningline to be paired with an lc-13 shooting head than what I am currently using--a very thin cortland floating line that i really don't like???

I thought about attaching the running portion to an old orvis intermediate 10 wt line (the orange one) but perhaps there is a better alternative out there?

MJC 11-07-2001 11:58 PM

I read this on the web somewhere (I can't remember where). It was writen by a guy named Roger. I haven't tried it yet but thought it had potential. Here it is in Roger's words:

"I'm going to go against the grain here (nothing new for me) and tell you to make your own. It will eliminate all your problems and will not stretch at all. Won't coil and tangle and you don't (can't) need to stretch it. It will give you solid hook sets and amazing feel keeping you in touch with your fly like you've never experienced. The only down side is that I recommend wearing some form of stripping glove(s)using it but at that temp. you're probably already wearing gloves.
My reciepe:
1)100 feet of 30lb (or 50lb if you are more comfortable with it) braided running line from cortland.
2) 20-30lb gelspun line. (Fireline, Spiderwire, etc.)
Get a large needle (doll needle or similar) and run about 6" of gelspun thru the eye. Crazy glue the tag end to the line. Insert the needle into the end of the braided mono and inch worm your gelspun thru the whole 100' of braided line. Have about a foot of gelspun out of both ends when you are done. Take the same needle and run your braided line thru the eye and and feed it back into the running line about 3" and come out. Feed it back into the side of the running line about an 1/8" from where you came out and run it up the running line another 1". Now you have formed a braided loop. Do the same on the other end. Use the remaining gelspun line that is hanging out of the side of the running line and form a nail knot to really lock it all together. Sounds crazy? Try it. You may never go back to store bought running lines again. The first one you make will be a bear to do. The second one will take less then 15 minutes to make. Cost? Under $15.
One last thing. Make the loop that you will attach your head to about 6" in diameter. This will allow you to pass the whole head thru it when making your connection. If you cut off the loop on your head and replace it with a braided loop connector (you've already got the material) you can't even feel it in the guides."

jeffg 11-08-2001 08:21 AM

Thanks for the reply--my only problem with your suggestion is that I think those braided running lines tear you hands up pretty good, so I was hoping for something with some type of coating...

juro 11-08-2001 08:42 AM

Jeff -

Back in Seattle I found a great running line on a clearance table at the Clearwater Angler in Auburn WA (now defunct). It's an S/A Mastery series running line for saltwater, intermediate with a sort of sand color. It is indestructible and has a slight texture that is easy to grip. I bought it for short money and it served me very well as a shooting line for heads in Puget Sound and the Straits for coho and king salmon.

I still have it somewhere but since I don't like loops for stripers because I strip right up to the leader butt often and hate the mung magnets on my line so eventually eliminated all loops from my northeast line setups and would have to dig it up from it's hiding place - but in the case of rigging lc-13 or a head I would recommend this running line. I'll go take a peek at the S/A site and see if I can figure out which one it is. Also they may have discontinued it as I don't believe they sold a lot of it.

jeffg 11-09-2001 09:27 AM

Sweet, Thanks Juro. So does this mean that you no longer use an lc-13 etup in the northeast or that you use it in some non-loop setup?

juro 11-09-2001 10:17 AM

Jeff -

I haven't used lc-13 since I was obsessed with big chinook salmon on a fly out west. Once the coho started busting around the boat I'd go back to the intermediate and never did quite untangle the total unknown realm of big king salmon on the fly rod although I did get one a few and one was in the mid-to-high 30 pound class. They start out hunting in 20-40 feet of water at dawn, most in 60-90 feet, then by 10am they are from 150-200 feet down in the 600-1000 foot depths of the Straits of Juan DeFuca. With the tide rips running hard LC made a big difference when fishing more than 20-30 feet down there.

Probably because I fish primarily from shore I don't need LC13 and I use zero lines with loops for stripers for the reasons stated above (just personal preference).

It just came up as a way to get cod on a fly! }>

Eddie 11-09-2001 11:35 AM

I have been using the new(ish) Rio clear intermediate running line(.30) with lc 13, and I like it. It has the best of both amnesia(they call it that because every time you break it out, you forgot how bad it tangled the last time) and coated floating. Shoots great, tangles not so bad, and sinks like a rock. I have made a one piece line connecting the two with braided mono.
Only gripe is that it is not that strong(maybe 35#) so easy when you stretch it out.
I read about that gsp braided mono set up and it sounds good, but I am happy with the Rio stuff. LC 13 is the best.