Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Classic Atlantic Salmon (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Atlantic salmon fly patterns (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=18763)

wilbert 12-08-2004 12:28 PM

Atlantic salmon fly patterns

Are there any good web sites out there that list fly patterns and show you how to tie them??? also can anyone recomend any good books.

Cheers.

Willie Gunn 12-08-2004 01:00 PM

w ww.f-deans.freeserve.co.uk/patts.htm
Gives a few but effective dressings. willie Gunn Ali Shrimp, probably enough to begin with.

What experience have you as a dresser? books vary, from simple to very complicated

fishingd0 12-08-2004 01:18 PM

Book

Try "the fly-tying bible" by peter gathercole.

It covers the main salmon flies (modern). It also covers most other fly types, with step by step instructions and clear illustrations on how to make each fly.

This book is an essential piece of armoury for both beginners and competent tyers.

Just annoyed I only found it last year!

Gordon

Smolt 12-08-2004 09:46 PM

Go to http://w ww.flyanglersonline.com
Click on "Fly Tying" in column at the left of screen

Click on "Atlantic Tying".

You take it from there.

flytyer 12-08-2004 10:23 PM

If you are looking for a book to learn how to tie married featherwings, see if you can find a copy of Ron Alcott's BUILDING SALMON FLIES. It is no longer in print, but it is the best, step-by-step married wing tying book I've ever seen, and it is available for around $15.00 US on the used book market.

wilbert 12-09-2004 11:02 AM

Willie gunn I have been tying flys for trout and salmon for 8 years on and off but dont get the time to get to a good standard. Most of the flys that I tie are either copies of ones that I have bought or made up patterns, some of which have been quite sucessful. What are the best tying materials to buy that would cover a wide range of patterns? as some of the materials can be rather expensive (i have a very limited budget). Thanks for everyone else that has posted a reply, the info has been of good help.

Smolt 12-09-2004 01:50 PM

Tie hairwing patterns, leave off jungle cock if called for, use squirrel, bear hair, and synthetics, use old style Mustad hooks (36890 about $10 per K or about $0.15 per hook in lower quantities)), and you should have no problem keeping your tying on the reasonable side.

Willie Gunn 12-09-2004 02:47 PM

Wilbert, So you know how to just really need to know the patterns. I tie to catch fish not fishermen, my heads are big and untidy and sometimes encroach on the eye, but they seldom fall to bits and they work. I start with the pattern from either -
Successful Modern Salmon Flies Peter Mackenzie-Phillips which has a how to and the recipes.
Trout & Salmon Flies of Scotland Stan Headley which gives me most patterns.

I couldn't attempt a feather wing in fact seldom use feathers at all, often replacing hackles with artic fox. pure philistine. I have recently modified the Willie Gunn by just tying the wing direct onto a tube, no body at all. So I have two colours an aluminium Willie Gunn and a brass Willie Gunn. Do the salmon mind? I'm not sure if the ones I've been catching are just coming to tell me the flies should have a gold ribbed black body.

Materials I use most, are bucktails in mixed colours, artic fox again mixed colours and a few sparkly bits

Muckle Salmon 12-09-2004 09:32 PM

Malcolm' There is more to life than Willie Gunns! ;) I believe someone once said something to the effect of "variety is the spice of life". Or to put it another way "it would be a sad state in the affairs of a man to limit himself solely to but one whisky for the entirety of his life". :tsk_tsk:

Charlie 12-10-2004 07:19 AM

Ramsay is right. :tsk_tsk: Don't forget the other Salmon fly, the Picasse!

Charlie.

Igor 12-10-2004 11:54 AM

More misinformation Herr Moderator? (*g*)

Quote:

Originally Posted by flytyer
If you are looking for a book to learn how to tie married featherwings, see if you can find a copy of Ron Alcott's BUILDING SALMON FLIES. It is no longer in print, but it is the best, step-by-step married wing tying book I've ever seen, and it is available for around $15.00 US on the used book market.

Frank Amato Publications re-issued Ron Alcott's "Building Classic Salmon Flies" months ago.

Hywel

sean 12-10-2004 12:08 PM

Actually Igor it was re-released 10/31/2004, only about a month ago, so cut the guy some slack.

That being said I just got this and it is most excellent. By far the best book I have seen for a beginner looking to getting into tying the classic flies. Lots of goods hints and tips throughout that the other books skip over.

-sean

wilbert 12-11-2004 07:15 PM

Willie gunn do you tie most of your patterns on tubes or do you tie trebles,doubles and singles too?? I have just started tying tubes and find them much less hastle to tie, I find small trebles are a nightmare (10's and smaller). I have most of the materials that everyone has mentioned but no jungle cock. Is it worth buying some as i think flies look much better with it but do the fish?

Thanks

Willie Gunn 12-12-2004 04:39 AM

In the cold water I use tubes mostly, but in the summer months use trebles,doubles.and singles. Certainly when using a fast sinking line and loosing a lot of flies I worry less with tubes.
Jungle cock is nice, certainly adds something to a fly, I think the fish like it too, but what do I know.

fishingd0 12-12-2004 06:48 AM

alternative hooks

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilbert
Willie gunn do you tie most of your patterns on tubes or do you tie trebles,doubles and singles too?? I have just started tying tubes and find them much less hastle to tie, I find small trebles are a nightmare (10's and smaller). I have most of the materials that everyone has mentioned but no jungle cock. Is it worth buying some as i think flies look much better with it but do the fish?

Thanks

I also hate tying on small trebles. I find it far too time consuming and normally end up with a dozen hook pricks on my thumb and forefinger. :mad:

I have now resorted to tying most of my salmon flies on doubles.

I find them so much easier to on.

Personally I think they swim far better than trebles.

And over the years I have found that doubles land just as many, if not more fish than trebles. Whether it is because fish can leaver the treble out easier with the extra hook is up for debate? :confused:

Gordon