Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Tool Lanyard (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=1866)

striblue 05-15-2001 05:46 PM

Tool Lanyard

For a long time now I have been using a lanyard to put my fishing tools on.. I keep a small reel with a tape measure. a hook file,a leader clipper, a tippet holder, and a nail knot tool. I find it to be an easy way to carry and use the tools since it is very handy. If I need to get it out of the way I simply swing it over on to my back... just wondering why I don't see more flyfishermen, at least on he salt, using them. Would like to get some reaction to these things from others.

striblue 05-16-2001 08:46 PM

24 reads and no opinions ... well I guess they are not popular.

Nick 05-17-2001 06:30 AM

Striblue,
What kind of lanyard do you use? I remember somewhere reading about a piece of old fly line with big snap swivels knotted to it at various places along the length and one to close it. Haven't gotten around to making it, but it seems like it could be good. I guess my main prob is I don't really carry anything but some forceps and a leatherman. I can bite up to 60lb test with my teeth, much to the dismay of my dentist, so I don't really need a pair of cutters in the field.

John Desjardins 05-17-2001 08:02 AM

John, I have looked at the lanyards sold for fishing and thought about using them. However, what always comes to mind are two questions. First safety, I am primarily a freshwater fisherman who often ends up bushwahcking to get to where I want to fish. and I've learned the hard way (net on a zinger to the back of the head amongst other lessons) to minimize the number of items that get caught in the brush. With something hung around my neck I would worry about strangulation unless the lanyard has a release built in to prevent that problem

The second question is; why hang something around my neck while fishing if I despise hanging a tie around it?

I can get answer my first question but I haven't figured out the second. For the record I tie my tools to the pack I am using with a length of cord and then put them in a pocket of the pack.

striblue 05-17-2001 09:08 AM

Good points... The Lanyard I use I bought and I can't remember the name... (but it has groovy beads on it to,Man). But the neck thing is a good pint..but for saltwater there is really no woods walking... but I had not thought about the obvious safety issue.

Roop 05-17-2001 11:17 AM

I have an old (18+ years) stainless steel combo tool, scissors form, plier tips, crimping tools, cutting edes, etc...

Came on a lanyard, alwyas used the lanyard, haven't lost the tool in the 18 years I've had it.

I would put a lanyard on anything I valued.

Roop

Adrian 05-21-2001 03:11 PM

And there I was thinking you were doing an impression of Turk Wendell this past week-end. Seriously though, it does seem like a simple / smart idea and the beads are, as you rightly point out, "kinda groovy man"" 8)

striblue 05-21-2001 05:52 PM

Thanks Adrian.. yes they are a groove... reminds me of 1968. I am thinking of a headband... made of tie die.... with flies attached to it, of course.

DFix 05-22-2001 08:10 AM

Quote:

striblue (05-21-2001 06:52 p.m.):
Thanks Adrian.. yes they are a groove... reminds me of 1968. I am thinking of a headband... made of tie die.... with flies attached to it, of course.
...Then you'll start a damn headband collection 8) and another whole world of fishing related haberdashery that we'll all need to indulge ourselves with (though I'm gonna go with beads, too :-D ) - I decided after looking at that set-up that it's a really cool way to stiffen the lanyard and keep items separated - I really liked it. AND, because I'm just funky enuff to want to...soften the edge, so to speak (You and Sparky will get it right away ;-) )

Sparky, wan' me make ya one??? I got some neat 1/8" braided cord that'd really do the trick with those beads! ;D

Eddie 05-22-2001 08:11 AM

I think that the lanyards make the most sense on a drift boat where you have most of your stuff in a bag. I think that the hold every thing lanyards where developed by giudes who are not fishing, and don't need a vest (too hot?). I can put all that stuff on my vest or Wood River bag.
When I am fishing salt, don't use that much stuff often enough to justify having it around my neck all day (the boga grip would be a little uncomfortable).
I have a nipper on a piece of fly line around my neck and some pliers in my pocket. If they are good pliers, I attatch a coil lanyard to a belt loop. A zinger makes more sense for the nipper, but it is a pain to go from shirt to shirt. Maybe one of those Orvis ones with the aligator clips. How do they hold up in salt?
A million ways to do this but none are perfect.

striblue 05-22-2001 09:05 AM

Dave, you can make one without the beads if you choose... But I think a head band would go well with you....and Jim. I'll start woking on my design ASAP. We can show up with them next winter at UFT and other functions... it will be great

juro 05-22-2001 09:35 AM

Did someone say Woodstock clave ;-)

admin 05-22-2001 10:20 AM

Quote:

striblue (05-16-2001 09:46 p.m.):
24 reads and no opinions ... well I guess they are not popular.
Quick note on the 24 reads... this does not indicate how many times read, but how many unique users read. Since anonymous is the most frequent reader, it could have been read a thousand times by people who are unregistered or not logged in (default anonymous). We would have to require people to log in just to read posts in order to get an accurate read count - and that's just a little to unfriendly for a place like this!

- admin

Jimmy 05-22-2001 08:21 PM

Hey dudes....Sparky can dig the beads and the head bands. I even have an old VW bus we can paint with peace signs. DFIX it was great to meet you at the CAC. John's a great host. Next time, I'll get us a cleaning lady.

Jimmy

DFix 05-23-2001 09:14 AM

Quote:

striblue (05-22-2001 10:05 a.m.):
Dave, you can make one without the beads if you choose... But I think a head band would go well with you....and Jim. I'll start woking on my design ASAP. We can show up with them next winter at UFT and other functions... it will be great
John, no way it will be beadless - and you and Jimmy are getting one each - wait'll ya see the beads!

Re: the headband design, I have "Beatles" ties we can use as ideas. Anybody got any Peter Max artwork hanging around? Oops - cant forget IAFF logo in a sunburst of flame (Sounds like a silk screen project in the making ;D )