Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (
-   Getting Started (
-   -   Starter Rod/Reel for the SF Bay Area (

alcmaeon 09-18-2004 08:29 PM

Starter Rod/Reel for the SF Bay Area
All right, I've been reading the archives on this site, and have sucked in a lot of great info. I know I need to get into a couple of local fly shops and talk to some folks. But I figured I would get some input from you all as well. I've decided I want a decent all around rod for use in this area. I figure I want to learn on panfish before I go to far. So I want a rod/reel combo that is good for that but one that will be at least a good back up later on and would be useful for trout or other fish as well. I also want to keep the price range down. Until I completly fall in love with flyfishing I don't want to spend a total fortune. I'd like to keep a full outfit under $450 or so. What can I say, coming from a spinning background $450 is OUTRAGEOUS for a rod and reel :Eyecrazy: lol. So if there is a great combo out there for way less than $450 bay all means, tell me!

MJC 09-19-2004 11:22 PM

Hey Rich...
An Echo 9'-6wt with an Echo 46 reel and an Airflo 7000 series WF6F line makes a very nice combo that will serve you very well as an all around outfit. It will run $250.00. There should be some Echo dealers in your area. Rajeff Sports distributes Echo products. Check Rajeff's site to find them. If you can't find an Echo dealer that has demo rods and you would like to take a test drive let me know.

alcmaeon 09-20-2004 01:53 PM

Thanks for the Info! I will check them out!

BARDY 10-06-2004 02:46 PM

If you are interested I'm selling a Sage RPLXI 9' 10WT 2 piece rod that is in very good condition. I only fished it 5 times.
Asking $250.00