Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Advice on saltwater outfit (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=17643)

Matt622 09-16-2004 02:18 PM

Advice on saltwater outfit

I am looking to get a saltwater fly outfit, but I don't want it to cost me an arm and a leg. Would a fly reel not specifically for saltwater work if it was cleaned and rinsed after every use? I will be fishing the flats primarily for redfish, snook, and trout. Anyone know any good reels for my budget of around $100 or less. I also need a rod, are there any saltwater combos out there, or rods for like $150 or less?
Thanks alot, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Matt

BigDave 09-16-2004 02:39 PM

A freshwater reel is not going to work for you no matter how careful you are with it. Many of the reels advertised for saltwater still corrode. SW is very tough on gear.

Not sure if you can do $150 but here are a couple of suggestions:

Rods:

Temple forks pro series
Recently discontinued Sage DS series

Reels:
Teton Tioga
Sci Anglers System 2

Ebay might be worth checking out....

Matt622 09-16-2004 02:44 PM

Thanks, I'll check those out.
Matt

Matt622 09-19-2004 07:31 PM

I was looking at the redington rs2 outfits, with the gd series reel. Would that be sufficient?
ThaNKS,
Matt

Captain Scott 09-21-2004 11:50 AM

Salt Water Outfit

Matt,

Welcome to the club. Before going out and plunking down a bunch of cash, take a look on Ebay. I have had remarkable success finding reels, lines, and rods there, and have saved mucho $$$. I recommend frequenting fly shops and buying from them once you're "hooked" and upgrade to finer equipment, as the personal service and other benefits from such a purchase are priceless. But, for a starter outfit, and one you could use as a backup or loaner to introduce friends to saltwater flyfishing, go to ebay and look into thge flyfishing section. I've seen Sage rods for <$100.00 and reels can be had for the same price.

Good luck.

:cool:

wind roper 01-17-2005 08:19 AM

matt,
i would not recomend your FW reel for SW use. it wont last long in the salt water enviroment and a nother draw back is that most fresh water reels wont hold much backing! not a big deal if you are fishing for seatrout however when a big red fish or tarpon grabs your fly istead, your day may come to an early end when you are left with out an inch of line left on your reel. e-bay will be your best bet. if you are going to be fishing the salt more than once or twice a year you might want to spend a little more and get a quality combo that will last for years instead of spending $150 and up-gradeing after a while. you could get a nice combo from Burleson sporting co.(www.burfish.com) which is selling a SW large arbor reel/rod combo with backing and fly line for $271 which you will be close to that amount if you spend $150 for a combo, then $40-$60 for fly line and a nother $20 for backing. if you dont want to go that route then check out the redbone fly rods. i had a 10wt redbone as my first SW fly rod and it was well worth the money it was about $100 at sports authority, and you could check e-bay for a reel. good luck!

(sorry if recomending that web site was against the rules, still not sure who we can recomend and who we cant, just trying to help the guy find quality equipment- not trying to "plug" any one's business.)

new yawk 01-17-2005 08:37 AM

hi matt, i know that tfo is unveiling a reel in the next few weeks. i played with one last weekend at the ct. show, and it was really cool. the 10wt. one was gonna come out for $250 i think, so maybe you could get an 8 for a little less. tfo also makes good inexpensive rods, as does echo, and a few other companies. the redington "redstart" combo might work for you , in the beginning. if you do get "hooked", it would be worth it to get into a good rod, and especially a reel with a smooth drag... or you will wind up losing a lot of fish if you're fishing in the salt. also, like these guys said, ebay can be good... but "buyer beware".

JONESY 01-17-2005 11:52 AM

Matt,
I've been using the Okuma Integrity models for several years on stripers and salmon. I'm sold on the price and performance of these large arbor reels.
Jim

daverob 01-22-2005 05:30 PM

worth the $$

Spend the money on a really good rod and reel, it is well worth the money, it will mean the difference between a great day fishing or a lousy day fishing. Sage, Orvis or Thomas&Thomas rods and Tibor, Billy Pate reels. You'll dish out a wad of cash but you'll never regret it. A good rod will make the difference between a good cast and a great cast, and when you accidently hook that huge tarpon, your odds are greatly increased with good equipment.

At the very least get Redington rods and reels, Temple Forks rods a really decent, Scientific Anglers reels system 2 reels are really good but you have take VERY good care of them. Rinse, disassemble and clean everything immediately after you use them. Let the backing and line dry before storing.

No, I don't work for a tackle manufacturer.

juro 01-23-2005 07:40 AM

Hope this doesn't come across the wrong way but I highly doubt you can get a SW rod/reel combination for $150 that will last more than one season if you fish more than occasionally. As much as my rods and reels get down to the beach and flats this is definitely the case for me; I would wager a month or two and the proof would come out in the pudding.

A rod is pretty salt-proof however the rigors of delivering big flies in more demanding situations like wind, surf and big fish soon take their toll on quality compromised gear.

A less than battle-worthy reel must have every vulnerable part serviced per each outing or it will fall prey to rust. Better reels have (among other things) fewer parts vulnerable to corrosion, are machined from bar stock, and are proven to last for decades.

In summary, you really do get what you pay for in my humble opinion. The ol' Yankee saying "penny wise, pound foolish" applies.

SteelBoneguy 01-26-2005 03:09 PM

Another thought. Now that that a new season is approaching. I would contact guides and see if they will sell you their last years models. Guides now are usually not as busy, could use the money, and some will for sure upgrade with a new year. You could pick up a big brand, high quailty rod and reel for a fraction of the price. Sure the rod and reel will some will have some wear and tear but inspect everything over really well, you could probably get them to throw in the backing and fly line as well. I would rather buy high quailty used w/ some wear, than something brand new that is cheap. Just something to ponder while your looking for a outfit.

nevada caster 01-29-2005 11:03 PM

Look at Cabelas

Cabelas has a Redington RedStart II with reel, line and backing for $199. Cabelas says they are for saltwater as well as fresh. These carry a great warranty from Cabelas.
Re saltwater corrosion, most rods and reels will last more than 1 year if you treat them right. As soon as you get back to your abode, take a shower with them and wash them thoroughly

bbbfish 02-25-2005 01:08 AM

Starting Rig

I might disagree slightly with the previous posters, though I think if you're really serious, you'd do well to follow any or all of their advice, as you will certainly outgrow a $150 outfit fairly quickly (or it will simply break). They are all correct that TFO has some great new outfits (you can get a great setup that will last you decade for about $500), and if you search eBay, there are some great reels (look for a Redington Brakewater, for one, and just post what you're thinking of buying to one of these forums to see what the consensus is). Another place to look, that I haven't seen anyone mention, is Powell rods - I haven't seen the new line (I will this weekend), but they're changing their whole distribution and price structure so that their more than competitive (and by all accounts comparable) with the top rod producers out there for 1/2 the price. I like the original Tiboron, I'm betting the T2 matches up.

However, if you don't know if fly-fishing the salt is going to be for you, or you simply don't have the cash to spend right now (but might later down the line when you learn you want more in a rod), then go out and buy what will get you on the water and started on a new addition.

For a bare-bottom price, that should still work, I'd look at Echo reels, they aren't going to last you forever, and I wouldn't try to tackle a tarpon on one (but who knows?), but for $69.99 you could do much worse, and, at the least, you'll have a usable backup (which is why I picked mine up) for when you're addicted and pick up that $650 Tibor (which I still dream about while I stick with the workhorse and still affordable Scientific Angler LA). Then buy the best 4-piece or smaller rod you can buy (Cabelas, Redington, TFO, Powell), figuring that after a season or two, it'll be your backup rod.

The important thing: do what you need to do to fish. After all, the fish doesn't know what kind of rod your using, and won't be insulted if you catch him on an old fiberglass rod you buy from wal-mart (my first rod - a 7wt that caught more silver and chum salmon than I could count after it was the only rod to miraculously survive a freak accident in AK 2 years ago-long story, and it cost me $40 15 years ago).

Eddie 02-25-2005 08:11 AM

If 150 is your limit, then that's what it is. I figure 110 for a rod, 30 for a reel, 5 for backing and that leaves.... 5 for a flyline. So much for "a la carte".
Mail order will add at least ten dollars in shipping, so ebay isn't a good option if you order from a couple of different vendors. If you were to order from one of the big box sports shops you could get an outfit for around a hundred bucks. It would be rock bottom in quality, but it will get you out there.
A fresh water reel might last long enough for you to save up for a tougher reel. If you rinse it off, I suspect it would last a season (maybe a year). Those Okumas seem to be good values, but might be way out of your $ range.
As for rods, I would try to get a used one, or one marked down. Yesterday I saw a Sage 8wt (last yrs. bottom of the line) marked down to $107 dollars, so I think that you could find a decent rod in your buget.
You'll spend around 5 bucks on backing. Don't expect it to be free.
I would go the cabellas/basspro outfit route. It will be within your buget, and if you find that you like flyfishing, you will find a way to get into better gear.
Maybe you local shop has some demo gear and stuff lieing around. Can't hurt to ask.
For just a little more..... :lildevl:

JusBones 02-25-2005 08:26 AM

Rods: All good suggestions above. TFO would be my choice.
Reels: In SW reels take a pounding......ya gotta have smooth drag and durability...
my choice is Ross......when you consider airfare, lodging, chow, beer, guides, and incidentals.....why tear up a cheap reel the first day fishing ? At that point the game is over...."penny wise pound foolish" as stated above.....SW is not a cheap game to play.....