Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Propwash (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   wood boat finish (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=17444)

boogie 09-01-2004 02:03 PM

wood boat finish

hey all, im in the process of sanding a wooden boat on the inside to bare wood.(it was poorly painted previously) does anyone have ideas on what to seal it with or how to? i want it to be clear.

Hawkeye 09-01-2004 03:17 PM

Epoxy will be your best sealer however it will degrade in UV if it is not painted.

boogie 09-01-2004 05:17 PM

do i want it completly sealed? i really dont want to paint it. i like the wood grain look

Andre D 09-01-2004 11:45 PM

I would bet that your wood already has the epoxy embedded into the wood?? Did you build this yourself or buy it? Do you know who made the kit? Most wooden boat builders use West Systems epoxy, mine was anyway, and the interior is finished with a clear marine spar varnish, the outside was already painted in white which I just refinished in a nice green with the clear oak accents.

Andre

Hammer 09-02-2004 01:17 AM

'll find a site i've saved for you,,a group here has been collecting classic wood driftboats used by guides here decades back,intending to open a museum of sorts,certainly you can use any `clear',,,it's all about maintenance,,what's the boat?

boogie 09-02-2004 11:42 AM

there is no epoxy on the inside, i got it off ebay for $200(boat, oars, trailer, anchor system, cracking interior paint.) i have no idea who made it.

its a 14 ft. drit boat i think. epoxyied outside and poorly painted inside. im not sure if its a drift boat because its set up to row from the front. could it be a dory? anyways i like it and if it tracks crappy on a river ill use it as a lake boat.

Hammer 09-02-2004 12:21 PM

spendy

epoxy isn't an economical finish,i'll dig out the site today,,,most of the wood drifter's,,once they've been painted inside,,it's usually because;they looked nasty from sitting out and paint was the only option left versus a clearcoat,i wouldn't put that much time on the inside,i'd spray stripper on a section then look at it after you've cleared that off,,you might not want a clearcoat in there!

Hammer 09-02-2004 12:54 PM

hope this helps

you've got mail!,utilized your `hyperlink'

JDJones 09-02-2004 05:17 PM

wood boat finish

There is a kit boat maker named Greg Tatman. Can't post his website but he shouldn't be hard to find. He lists some of the finishes his customers like on his website. Another one to look at would be Don Hill. Both of these guys make wood drift boat kits.

boogie 09-02-2004 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer
you've got mail!,utilized your `hyperlink'

baaaaawhat? im dumb. chewy, check the hyper drive? i didnt get any mail and whats a hyper link. im not very computer savy

loophitech 09-12-2004 09:47 PM

If this is going to be anything like that leaky tiki you let Kutha float on, I'll walk!