Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Art of Casting (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   New Flycasting DVD (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=16900)

jimS 07-21-2004 05:03 PM

New Flycasting DVD

Lefty Kreh has released a new video on the art and science of flycasting. It has a lot of new info, e.g. wind casts, curve casts and various roll casts. He dwells on his four basic points of flycasting at the beginning. I think this is good info for both the beginner and the intermediate caster. There are a couple of good tips for the advanced caster.

Some of our sponsors should be carrying this video, titled "Lefty Kreh on Fly Casting."

Simms

juro 07-21-2004 07:47 PM

Jim -

What are his four basic principles? I have his last video and can guess but since you just watched it...

thanks

2HandTheSalt 07-21-2004 09:11 PM

From Memory:

1. You can not make any kind of a cast, until you get the end of your fly line moving.

2. A fly rod is nothing but a very expensive lever-The further you move the lever, the more it helps you make the cast.

3. Your fly line is going to travel in the direction the rod tip travels at the end of the casting stroke.

4. The size of your loop is determined by the distance the rod tip travels during the speed-up-and-stop.

jimS 07-22-2004 09:01 AM

Jay did a good job from memory. Here are his four casting principles verbatum:
1. You must get the line moving before you can cast.
2. The line goes in the direction the tip speeds up and stops.
3. The loop size is determined by the length of the speed up and stop.
4. The more help needed on the cast, the longer the rod should travel on the back and forward cast.

He also throws in some aids to casting:
- Footwork
- Thumb and wrist control
- Elbow on a shelf.

Simms

FKrow 07-23-2004 07:53 PM

The Elbow on a Shelf concept was a tremendous help to me for smooth longer distance casting. That along with the minimizing wrist motion are very important.

It is not the conventional style of casting with most FF that use the 10:00 to 1:00 rotation method. This style works fine however, it requires very good timing and more hand / wrist strength than the Lefty Kreh style.

Lefty's basic principles of casting sound strange at first reading, the longer I study casting the more I appreciate how they are universal to any style.

Regards,
Fred Krow

MJC 07-25-2004 06:46 PM

Hey All...

This is sorta off the subject but not entirely. I want to stock a rank beginners fly casting video. While I'm not advocating a video over instruction from a qualified caster the reality is some will want a video that will get them started. Also how about something for the intermediae caster. I'm talking single hand rods. I have several very good spey videos. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks, MJC

Moose 07-25-2004 09:31 PM

Mike

have you viewed Mel Kriegers essence videos?

Dana 08-05-2004 12:17 AM

agree with Moose

Mel Kreiger's Essence of Flycasting videos are excellent for beginner through intermediate and on to advanced casters (Essence of Flycasting II). These two single hand videos together are probably the best available to take a caster from beginner through intermediate casting skill development. Bill Gammel also has a great tape called Teach Yourself to Flycast (well, I think that is the correct title, as I've lent it to a friend who--you guessed it--is teaching himself how to flycast)--I learned a lot about how to teach single handed casting by watching and reflecting on Bill's tape. Joan Wulff's Dynamics of Flycasting is also very good, as are the Doug Swisher casting videos by 3M (I think they are called Basic Fly Casting and Advanced Fly Casting).

And of course for the intermediate -to-advanced caster who really wants to add efficiency, distance and power to their casting, the absolute best treatment of the subject is George Roberts's Saltwater Fly Casting: 10 steps to distance and power.

Any of these would be good for your customers, MJC...

jimS 08-05-2004 07:59 AM

Dana, Do you have a contact or know how to get a copy of the George Roberts tape or DVD? I've noticed others commenting on his excellent instruction.

Simms

MJC 08-05-2004 08:59 AM

Hey jims...

I'm not Dana but this link should be what you are looking for.

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyta...George+Roberts

To everyone else, thanks for the advice. I decided to start with the two Mel Kreiger tapes and then add a couple of the others a little later.

Broadbill 08-05-2004 11:45 AM

Dana -

Here's another link for George Roberts. This is his site:
http://whitemouseflyfishing.com/

Note to mods: Yes, I'll mention a sponsorship to George when I see him next, but he's not much of a fan of these boards.

juro 08-05-2004 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimS
Jay did a good job from memory. Here are his four casting principles verbatum:
1. You must get the line moving before you can cast.
2. The line goes in the direction the tip speeds up and stops.
3. The loop size is determined by the length of the speed up and stop.
4. The more help needed on the cast, the longer the rod should travel on the back and forward cast.

Simms

Jim, Jay, et al -

#3 - loop size == length of S.U.S...

what is your interpretation or Lefty's explanation of this? Is this referring to the tight loop verses big loop principle or another concept of "size of loop"?

Big loop verses small loop has a different connotation in my mind, based on path of rod travel and position of stop relative to speed-up verses "length" per se.

I am always intrigued by Lefty's wisdom but I am curious how this one should be interpreted.

flyfisha1 08-05-2004 11:56 AM

I've got both of Mel Kreiger's videos and they were/are indeed helpful. Honestly, part of what is so great about them is Mel's personality; I actually have watched it on occasion to get a smile and pick up a tip that I've overlooked. "Make that fly do nice things"... :)

I also have the George Roberts video, and really don't like it at all. In fact, if anyone would like my copy, it's yours for $20.

juro 08-05-2004 12:15 PM

Chris,

I think this proves a very important aspect of learning and teaching - everyone delivers and receives information differently.

I found George Robert's video succint, to the point and very informative as a training information tape. He hits many points dead on and he makes sure the visual characteristics of line color, background, lighting, etc - are all in place. He also includes some repetition of key points for reinforcement of these important items. His tape is clearly an intermediate to advanced review, best for taking someone from 60ft to 100 plus but not the best choice for the context of this discussion - a starting out tape. This was not the intent of the video in the first place.

Mel's personality complements his life-long dedication to the art of fly casting. He is a true ambassador of the sport and it's been my pleasure to have spoken with him and received some pearls of wisdom each time. To watch him at the Golden Gate Casting Club this year at the Spey-o-rama was really something. He is as inspiring as he is educational, a master at the art of teaching as well as casting.

Both of these guys are phenomenal at delivering the information, albeit different information and much different styles.

Each of us receives information just as differently, which would indicate that the best approach is to watch as many videos as possible on the topics you want to master.

(Still hope the Lefty question gets answered!)

Smcdermott 08-05-2004 12:51 PM

Juro,

I have seen Lefty a bunch of times now and my understanding is exactly as he states. His casting style involves a long slow move foward just faster than the line is travelling to load the rod with a short speed up and stop at the end or in other words a quick burst of acceleration with a positive stop at the end. I liken it to a Bruce Lee punch. His contention is that the shorter the distance between the beginning and end of this power stroke the smaller and more aerodynamic your loop will be and hence travel further. Some of his exceptions to this rule are weigthed flies and sinking lines when you must open your loop to avoid tailing loops etc... Hope this is more clear and I will be happy to bring his advanced casting book to the clave so you can get it first hand.

Sean