Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   >> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Another nice angel (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=1686)

Bob Pink 03-19-2001 09:26 PM

Another nice angel

http://flyfishingforum.com/flyswaps/.../Bob-Pink4.jpg

Nice thing about the angel hair flies is that the variety of color choices is so wide that you can come up with some very nice blends. Here's one where I tried blending in some short sections of pink/red for a gill effect.

striblue 03-19-2001 09:35 PM

RE:Another nice angel

Bob, I am coming up with some nice small angel hair flies which I tye from the pile of angel hair scrap that ends up on my table after I tye several larger angel hair flys. The blending of all the colors is fantastic. With the large pile of white the mix is really something and I usually get at least three small flies( 1 1/2 to 2 inches). Can't wait to try them on schoolies.

Bob Pink 03-19-2001 09:42 PM

Excellent idea John, are you dubbing the small pieces on and then 'picking the strands out' or are you trying to comb the pices before you tie them in?

Another good use for the small pieces is to tie some #2 / #4 clousers Could be a great shad fly?!?

striblue 03-19-2001 11:34 PM

Bob, I am combing before I tye on. Other times I am just tying a clump on ,then combing out and then tying on the amount that would have been just combed out. I have one that is a combination of white, silver, blue and green and it looks exactly like a small silverside if I were to place it side by side. No layering of two ot three colors in clear separation but rather a bait fish that is entirely the mixed colors .

juro 03-20-2001 11:02 PM

John -

What was the name of the material you picked up at UFT?

thanks,
Juro

striblue 03-20-2001 11:42 PM

juro, I bought it from Mike Martinek and he had no name for it but I ordered more from him and I asked him if it was the same as Gartsides "secret Stuff" and he confessed that it was. It was $5 per pack where Gartside sells it for $10.

ssully 03-21-2001 11:45 AM

Bob that's a keeper!

If you keep tying these beautiful flies at this pace I won't be able to fish any of the ones you gave me. I'll have to frame them just to be able to prove I knew you before you were famous. http://www.flyfishingforum.com/images/flytalk/Wilk.gif

striblue 03-22-2001 07:13 PM

Bob, here's another thing I experimented with. I tried the old fashioned black marker on the light blue top and it marked perfectly on the angel hair and I have added Mack's to my angel hair collection. (Does't Run)

Bob Pink 03-22-2001 08:35 PM

Very interesting John, never thought of trying a marker on the synthetics, just figured it was too slippery to absorb the ink..... Well, back to the lab!

tomd 03-23-2001 08:54 AM

Bob, I talked to Jack Gartside in the Marlboro show and he uses markers alot on his. Tom D

tomd 03-23-2001 08:55 AM

Bob, I talked to Jack Gartside in the Marlboro show and he uses markers alot on his. Tom D

juro 03-23-2001 09:04 AM

I use the pantone markers a lot. Whether they run or not depends on the material. They are really good for marking foam bodies under epoxy, obviously. The ink tends to hold to naturals more than synthetics for me.

TinMan 04-26-2001 12:53 PM

Quote:

striblue (03-19-2001 09:35 p.m.):
Bob, I am coming up with some nice small angel hair flies which I tye from the pile of angel hair scrap that ends up on my table after I tye several larger angel hair flys. The blending of all the colors is fantastic. With the large pile of white the mix is really something and I usually get at least three small flies( 1 1/2 to 2 inches). Can't wait to try them on schoolies.
How DO you get those almost perfectly round epoxy heads? Is it just pure unadulterated skill or a mold of some kind?

striblue 04-26-2001 01:07 PM

Tin Man... I asked the same question of Bob . He told me, and he will add anything I miss. He will stick the Eyes on and place the epoxy a small amounts at a time at the gaps between where the eyes are stuck on and the shank... the key is not to cover the eyes with epoxy. I have tried this and it creates a perfect round head after you do the usual rotation and the epoxy. the roundness also depends on how much thread is on the hook shank at the eye, because with a big eye you need greater distance between them to create a perfect circle.. But you do not have to. even with a small gap it creates a great head.

TinMan 04-26-2001 01:16 PM

Awesome, thanks John (and Bob by proxy ;-) )

Still perfecting the deep sand eel (or at least my knock-off) but this is next to try...