Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Art of Casting (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Cast Glossary (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=16094)

juro 05-27-2004 07:32 PM

Cast Glossary

I am going to ask members to help build a cast glossary for the site. Each cast will have entries from members who describe the cast well, pictures, drawings and videos included. Here is the list I have thus far:

1) roll cast
2) jump roll cast
3) belgian cast
4) switch cast
5) curve cast
6) aerial mend curve cast
7) overhand cast
8) steeple cast
9) single spey
10) double spey
11) snake roll
12) circle cast
13) snap-t
14) sprial single spey
15) perry poke
16) cross-body overhand cast

any others?

John Desjardins 05-27-2004 09:46 PM

Sidearm cast?

juro 05-28-2004 12:01 AM

Absolutely! In fact if this refers to the cast where the loop actually travels underneath instead of above, I watched Al Buhr do it with a spey cast in San Francisco and could imagine tucking the fly under overhanging willow trees like a bassmaster flip with that cast.

17) sidearm cast

Also, one from the striper guys...

18) the backhand cast

And in fact the cast is so different we need to include all of the 'reversed' versions of the spey casts:

19) reversed single spey
20) reversed double spey
21) reversed snake roll
22) reversed snap-t
23) reversed circle
24) reversed spiral single
25) reversed perry poke

Any more? Once we get the list complete, we can start the casting glossary page.

BigDave 05-28-2004 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by juro

25) reversed perry poke

spey casts have funny names....:hehe:

From the freshwater world (although all can be applied to SWFF)

Pile Cast

Parachute Cast

Reach Cast

Hard to draw the line between what is a cast and what is a mend...these all mend the line before it hits the water so I consider them "casts".

juro 05-28-2004 09:03 AM

Absolutely!

26) Pile Cast
27) Parachute Cast
28) Reach Cast

also

29) Wiggle cast

(We'll have to sort these into categories later)

Many casts are variations on a theme, I think these are definitely casts - thanks BigDave!

Gardener 05-29-2004 07:09 AM

Juro, if you're going to treat all these as distinct casts, rather than as variants or subsets of the basic overhead cast, I think you'll also have to acknowledge the underhand technique as applied to the various Spey casts.

Whether you classify underhand casts as distinct casts in their own right or simply as a modification that can be applied to the set of Spey casts is up to you. I favour the latter, though this won't please some people, particularly in Scandinavia. :devil:

As a further point, I think it would be useful to include something about hauling. Again, just about every cast can be made in unhauled, single or double hauled versions - you've just written about a hauled single handed single spey on another thread, for example. Rather than treat the hauled versions as distinct casts, how about writing something, covering both single and double hauls, that can be 'bolted on' to definitions of other casts, rather than treating them all separately?

BigDave, if you think that name is funny, how about a 'hauled reverse single hand underhand double spey'?

juro 05-30-2004 02:15 PM

Gardner, good points.

Categorization might look like:

Primary Overhand Casts
- overhand cast
- backhand cast
- cross-body or reverse cast
- belgian cast
- steeple cast
Variations for Line Control
- curve or reach cast
- pile cast
- parachute cast
- wiggle or "S" cast
- aerial mend cast
Overhand Techniques
- single and double haul
- casting into wind
- casting with wind
- accuracy casting
- distance techniques
Two-handed Overhand Casts
- two-handed overhand cast
- two-handed reverse
- two-handed belgian cast
Two-handed Techniques
- "beach" cast
- snake start

Spey Casts
- strong/opposite/reversed single spey
- s/o/r double spey
- s/o/r snake roll
- s/o/r snap-t
- s/o/r circle
- s/o/r spiral single
- s/o/r perry poke
- s/o/r double perry poke
- s/o/r snake poke
Techniques and Styles
- Traditional Style
- Underhand Technique
- Skagit Technique
- Long Line Technique
- Greased Line Technique
- Single-handed versions of above with haul (turbo spey)
- Deep Sunk Line Technique

Roll Casts
- Static Roll
- Dynamic Roll / Jump Roll
- Reversed Roll / Jump Roll

Did I miss any?

Dana 05-30-2004 02:23 PM

beer cast
scotch cast
leg-in-a-cast
cast of thousands
how come I can't cast?

juro 05-30-2004 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dana
beer cast
scotch cast
leg-in-a-cast
cast of thousands
how come I can't cast?

:chuckle:

Beer cast...
Whilst taking a moment to relieve bladder pressure, tip forward so that the bottle is low and straight toward the "dangle". Realizing the spillage, lift and pull back the bottle on a level plane and stop at 2 o'clock (last call). Ooops you are wetting your shoe, come forward with a smooth acceleration and stop at 10 o'clock (breafast already? where am I?). The beer will fly out smoothly all over your tent. I hope that's beer.

John Desjardins 06-02-2004 03:01 PM

From todays noon time panfish excursion. the slingshot aka bow & arrow cast for fishing a brushy shore. I really should put on the waders next time so I don't use it.

soloflyfisher 06-02-2004 04:06 PM

Did anyone add "bow cast" yet?

Bob Pauli 06-04-2004 11:05 PM

Thrashdown.

Moonlight 06-05-2004 12:30 AM

Perfect Cast.........

That cast which the angler catches a Fish!!!!!!!:razz: Got to lighten up now and then.

soloflyfisher 06-18-2004 04:09 PM

Classifying casts

Looking over Juro's list of casts made me start thinking about the best way to classify casts. It seems to me that the basic differentiator should be the way you load the rod. That would leave us with five major categories of cast (that I can think of, at least):

1. Casts loaded by tossing the line straight backwards (e.g., overhead cast).
2. Casts loaded by tossing a looped line backwards (e.g., traditional spey cast)
3. Casts loaded by driving the rod forward against the surface tension of the line in the water (I think this is how skagit style spey casts work from descriptions I've read, but I must admit I don't really understand skagit casting)
4. Casts loaded by driving the rod forward against the dead weight of the line (e.g., roll cast)
5. Casts loaded by pulling on the line with the free hand (e.g., bow cast)

Within each of these major categories, you can vary the cast in the following ways:

A. Moving the rod on the forward cast to alter the forward trajectory of the line (e.g., wiggle cast or curve cast)
B. Making motions to reposition the line prior to loading the rod (e.g., snake roll, double spey)
C. Using hauls to energize the line
D. Altering the plane of the cast (e.g., moving from overhead to sidearm)
E. Some combination of A through D

There are also technique differences . . . such as using a bigger or smaller arm motion or using more or less of the lower hand in a two-handed cast. I don't know if these technique differences truly change the cast or simply alter the way a particular cast is executed to provide the right amount of power or control for the particular casting situation.

Anyway . . . just an idea to restart an interesting discussion about casting types . . .

Dana 06-20-2004 07:19 AM

I've seen all casting divided into 2 broad categories:
  1. overhead cast: line is aerialized on both back cast and forward cast
  2. roll cast: line forms a loop beneath and behind rod tip on back cast

overhead includes all forms and presentation casts; roll includes "dead line" and "live line" roll casts such as spey casting and all variants (skagit, underhand, etc).

Juro, maybe we should make this a "video glossary" rather than just text...