Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Getting Started (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   CND 1409 sink tips for Alaska Silvers (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=16024)

Uncle Craig 05-20-2004 03:15 PM

CND 1409 sink tips for Alaska Silvers

Hello,
I am new to the discussion group but often surf the valuable information provided here. I am going to the Togiak River in Alaska the third week in August and need some information on sink tip lines for casting weighted and unweighted flies to Silver Salmon. I own a CND 1409 thanks to this discussion group and would like some suggestions on your favorite lines for this purpose.

Thanks

Moose 05-20-2004 09:25 PM

The 1409 Expert

I have that rod and an Airflo Long Delta multi tip 9/10 and the system works well on this rod. I'm told that the regular Delta as opposed to the long Delta is better for throwing big flies.

Uncle Craig 05-21-2004 08:57 AM

1409 Custom for Silvers

Thanks for the help Moose. I should have specified that I have the 1409 Custom. I was leaning towards the Airflo Long Delta.
Does it have just one loop to attatch the tip, or is it like the Rio lines which have several loops for attatching tip1, tip 2 etc?
I have a Rio WC 9/10/11 floater which the rod doesn't seem to like and a SA XLT 8/9 which the rod does like since I cut 14 feet from the tip to eliminate the wind deflection and poor turnover of the factory line. Perhaps the Long Delta will be a "happy medium".

juro 05-21-2004 09:19 AM

Hi Uncle Craig -

I like the Windcutter 9/10/11 on that rod for a very positive feeling cast even with the type 8 15ft tip on it. Just strip to the head, set up and feel for that "whump" as the strong tip comes over the top to punch the line out there.

I have recently obtained the SA Short head spey which I think will also make a great tip system for the rod. For XLT I prefer the 7/8 XLT on that rod, in fact I LOVE the 7/8 XLT on it.

The Airflos are great on it, already mentioned above.

So if you like a shorter tip system go with WC or Delta, for a longer (minimum strip) line I would go with the 7/8 XLT cut and looped for tips per the speypages discussion -or- use the 8/9 you already have but you might have to cut and loop again to take the sinktip.

Moose 05-21-2004 08:58 PM

Airflo LDT

The Airflo lines have just the 1 loop that seems to be placed just prior to the start of the forward taper. They also have a 5 year no crack warranty, but I wonder if that warranty applies to thier "Welded Loops" as well. I've had mine about 5 months and haven't changed tips much or subjected it to any undue stress, yet the loop seems to be wearing and I feel that a break is inevitable, which would result in a catastrophic loss of tip. I hope I'm wrong, maybe there's some braided core in the loop or something, but it looks like there is some fraying of the material there (in the clear loop material itself). The line behaves very nicely and is slick, but I'm going to have to adress this loop issue with them. Again, I've heard that the regular Delta as opposed to the Long Delta is superior for heavy tips and big flies.

Uncle Craig 05-25-2004 08:59 AM

Thanks again Moose and Juro. Very good information and once again the forum has helped me. Hope to share some Steelhead water with you guys some time.

Tight Lines

pescaphile 06-01-2004 11:36 AM

Any of the interchangable sinktip lines should work -just get one that matches your rod.

As far as fishing for river salmon, I always use a single handed rod. Cohos especially like a stripped fly and such a retreive is much easier with a single handed rod. Any decent #8 rod will work fine for your trip to the Togiak. Save the spey rod to fish the swing for more noble fish ;)

Bob Pauli 06-05-2004 10:39 PM

Enough suggestions?

Uncle Craig-
So far in this thread six lines have been suggested, all good ideas from knowledgeable people.

For recommendations from the unquestioned #1, Simon Gawesworth, go to Rio Products website http://rioproducts.com/pages/speyrecs.asp

It is my opinion that this is the first place for newer Spey casters to start.