Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Classic Atlantic Salmon (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   value of salmon to local economies (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=14659)

paul locke 02-13-2004 06:53 PM

value of salmon to local economies

just read 2003 report of river spey fishery board. very interesting statistics on value of fish to local economy. they estimate by a survey that local benefit is 11,800,000 pounds per annum with 367 jobs. there were 6650 fish caught [70o/o released]. this makes value to local economy approx 1800 pounds per fish-US$3250. does anyone have any local surveys of this nature on either rod caught fish or netted fish.

t_richerzhagen 02-14-2004 08:58 AM

Sport Fish vs Commercial

The netters get $1.00 a pound vs. wow I didn't realize we spent that much for each fish caught.

There have been some similar studies done in the US. The value on sport caught was not qite that high , but still hundreds of times more than the commercial.

There is another way of looking at the benefits of fishing. It works better than counseling for me and that runs $75 per hour or so. So "Really hon the money and time spent fishing is a bargin."

paul locke 02-14-2004 10:18 AM

value of rod caught fish

wow ted, i always thought rod was 20 times nets, but it looks like a lot more. of course spey valley is mecca of salmon fishing and particularly expensive. i hope i can get some more input. thanks

hcdk 07-06-2004 07:27 PM

fish for money

i might be late,but i just joined the forum.i can tell that in skandinavia they have found out that a rod caugt salmon equals aprox.150USD per kilo(2 pounds)by estimating expenses for acommodation,gas,food,fishing gear,licence e.t.c.quite a difference compared to the prices on commercially caugt/farmed fish :smokin:

Cascade 07-07-2004 03:18 AM

Buying out the nets makes sense !

The West of Ireland is where I do most of my fishing. I haven`t yet seen the recent figures, but last years estimates were put at $14.80 per netted salmon, versus $960 per rod caught salmon, revenue to the local economy.
That doesn`t take account of released fish, so the figure is actually much higher than this.
This year has been amazing, with record runs of spring fish, and we`re currently enjoying a grilse run of record proportions also.
Much of this is a direct result of the sterling work that has been carried out by the North Atlantic Salmon Fund (NASF), through their net buy-out scheme.
I am almost embarrased to say, that the stumbling block to the total free passage of salmon returning to spawn, is our Irish government, whom have not yet joined forces with the fund to complete the total buy-out of all remaining nets.
We continue to mount pressure, lobby, fundraise, and conserve, and remain confident that we will eventually succeed in our battle to return the salmon to the angling fraternity, whom in greatest part, have their welfare as their top priority.