Fly Fishing Forum

Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/index.php)
-   Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Pulaski Salmon River Steelhead Fishing Report Feb. 3,4,5: (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=14559)

RandyJones 02-08-2004 10:15 AM

Pulaski Salmon River Steelhead Fishing Report Feb. 3,4,5:

Salmon River Report Feb. 5:

Current weather forecast looks good for some of next weeks dates.

Today could be explained in only 3 words. A "Day for KINGS!"
5 for 15 was the tally at days end. (Not that Im bragging or anything) Just want to give you an idea of the numbers of fish that are around.
1 for 4 is about average landing ratio for the normal guy that fish's once in awhile, so we really did not do to bad. (Especially considering the rod was not in my hands , just kidding :)

We hit fish in 2 out of 3 spots. The one spot we did not find any was only fished for about 20 minutes. We left fish to find fish today. The 2 holes we found them in were loaded. We could have stayed and played with more, but wanted to leave some for the rest of you. (Ya, right ;)
We did not even scratch the surface of all the fishable spots we drifted past, after anchoring and giving my guest's a though understanding of each individual current break and prime lies in each location. They were smart enough to bring a pad of paper and pen to take notes to further their quest for rock solid information concerning structure-habitat and prime current breaks the fish use when in transition and holding waters. There were no test's given today by me, but I think the fish know who passed.

Tip for the day:
My guest's learned how important it was to cover your water. Throw it a foot further. Throw it a foot further upstream to get your fly or bait to the bottom a lil sooner. Throw it straight out instead of upriver to run a totally different drift and present you fly or bait to a fish that may just be sitting a little further out, in, down. Take 3 steps to your left and work the same drift all over again. Starting in close and then working your way out again. Then take 3 more steps down river, etc... Numerous fish were hooked up in this manner. Working the hole thoroughly and presenting your fly or bait in all of the prime lies. Adding a lil weight or subtracting a lil weight changes your entire presentation. Several times we took 3 steps down and on our 1st-2nd cast - FISH ON!
My guest's were most successful using Blue egg sacks. An old trick is to run eggs first threw the hole and then fish the hole again using flies. Or do it in just the opposite manner. Sometimes one works better than the other. Other times they both work equally as well.
I got lucky and hit 2 fish on about 5 demonstration cast's.

With the luck we had today I'd have to recommend a trip up here to fish, weather permitting. Lot's of fish that have not been fished to ALL month. Doesn't get much butt'a!
Below are just a few of the landed fish from today. Enjoy, Randy Jones

(See Photo's - Almost Daily Fishing Reports with Pictures, tips and articles (Ramblings)

Larry is tight to several fish. Figured I get a quick photo before he lost them. :)

(See Photo's)

Both George and Larry with a coupla Steelies!

(See Photo's)

Another couple for the team!!

All fish released for your future fishing enjoyment and ours. (It's nice to share!)

Thanks,
Randy

-------------

Salmon River Report Feb. 4:
Best tip for today would be what you see crawling along the snowy river banks is what you might try throwing. If it's hatching, then you can bet your last dollar the fish are keying in on them and eating them. (Aquatic insect's that are hatching, normally when the air temp. gets above 32-34 degrees) Presently what you will see are cronomities (spelling?) They are a member of the Black Stone Fly family. They are much more slender than a Stone, black in color. An old trick Jim Rusher (Past owner of Whitakers Sports Shop) taught me was to tie a size 12 fly, but on a size 10 hook. Does not seam to matter to the fish and you have a wider hook gap to hold them better.

(See Photo's - Almost Daily Fishing Reports with Pictures, tips and articles (Ramblings)

Hmmm, I wonder what fly I should try today.

Looks like in 2004 one of the new reg's will be - 1 steelhead (trout?) per day (This has been passed, so I am told) I am not sure when this will take effect.

Until MIDNIGHT Fri FEB 06, 350 CFS

Friends of mine (3 for 5) hit some Steelhead while out fishing in several locations over the weekend. Their biggest was a 15 lb'r. Other anglers were also having success with a 18 lb. Steelhead landed. They hit fish everywhere they stopped, from the top of the river to almost the bottom. My friends had a blast and can't wait to come back.

----------
Salmon River Report Feb. 3:

Off the short bridge looking up stream. Same bridge but looking down river over the Town Pool. Lots of dangerous shelf ice. Pictures were taken at 11 am and lil to no slush was present with the sun shinning bright. Got up to 32 degrees today. M-M good!

Weather is nice. If you get the chance, get out there and fish. I've had some of my best Steelhead fishing days just after a long cold spell. Someone made a long walk to a special fishing hole. Dont know how well they did fishing, but was told they had snow up to there chest's as they were walking out. I'd like to go fishing next week, so if you would please all come up and pack all of the trails down for me, then I'll have a much easier walk. ;)

My first EVER Good Guest Testimonial (believe it or not!:

HI Randy!
Just a quick note to let you know that John & I enjoyed our trip with you in December. Once again the Yankee Angler has come through with his knowledge and expertise allowing us to tangle with a few of those elusive Steelhead Trout. This was our 3rd or 4th trip with you and you still managed to show us some new water & a few pointers to refine our techniques. Deep snow, ice, cold temps and high winds did not prevent us from enjoying this great fishery. The wine was a nice touch also! Look forward to fishing with you in November. ( if the wife lets you out!) Tight lines,,,,Skip & John

Skip, myself and John toasted to our good fortune and enjoyed another one of many "Day for KINGS!" On the river where memories are made..

(See Photo's )
Skip brings home the bacon with this nice steelhead. Skip with a 20 lb. approx. Spring Buck Steelhead. Wow!!

Hi ya Skip and John,
Thanks for the kind words and super pictures. Ill probably use them tomorrow!
What a heck of a good time we all had. Cant beat it!
Hopefully all the trips we do together in the future will be as good, if not better. (If that's possible!)
Remember that 20 lb. Buck Steelhead you landed last Spring?
We have had some of the best luck, ummm, actually its all been totally due to your expert angler fishing ability skill level on both of your parts, he-he :)
Best fish's and thanks again for your business as always!
Randy

I could not resist to post just a few more of the many Steelhead John and Skip have had the incredible good fortune to catch with me over the years. Some were released for your future angling pleasure while other's were kept for mounts or the occasional dinner fish.

Below the lil Black hole with Skip in the middle of doing battle with another metal head. I'm ready with my very small net!

(See Photo's)

John and Skip with a couple. Memories that will last a lifetime.